Why do you need a Netflix VPN when Netflix is already available in your country? That’s because some popular TV shows or movies may not be available in your area. Netflix has to place geo-restrictions to comply with the copyright and licensing laws of the land. But we can get rid of such Netflix problems and unblock video streaming by using a VPN for Netflix. However, free VPNs for Netflix tend to give errors like Netflix Proxy Detected. That’s what we will talk about here, plus more. Stay tuned!
If you are in a hurry and want to take a quick look at the best VPNs for Netflix, here’s a quick ranking. You can scroll down for detailed information about each of these VPNs.
- ExpressVPN – Overall best VPN for unblocking and streaming Netflix
- IPVanish – Decent VPN making a comeback in Netflix streaming
- Private Internet Access (PIA) – Boasts the largest network of VPN servers
- CyberGhost – Offers solid features at a good value
- Surfshark – Budget option providing unlimited simultaneous connections
Netflix is the biggest online entertainment service provider in the world, with hundreds of millions of subscribers. Only a couple of years ago, Netflix carried out a major expansion and started offering its services in more than 190 countries. When Netflix announced its worldwide expansion, many rejoiced that they could now get access to their favorite movies and TV shows, which were earlier restricted to a handful of countries. Most of the users were under the impression that once Netflix was officially available in their country, they would have complete access to its entire database of content.
Apparently, it did not work out this way. While Netflix continues to provide binge-worthy content, there is a lot that has been geo-restricted. This means that there is some region-specific content you can only watch if you are physically present in a certain region. Even though the company never promised to open up its entire collection to users in all countries, many hearts were still broken. And many weren’t aware of the limitation until they subscribed to the service.
Netflix has legal and/or strategic reasons to geo-restrict some content, but for streamers like us, it’s frustrating, to say the least. Is there anything we can do about it? Can we work our way around this restriction and watch region-specific content? Thankfully, yes—there is a way to bypass this limitation, and it is called a VPN (virtual private network).
There are some VPN services that virtually relocate your internet connection to a completely different region by using one of their many servers worldwide. Since 2016, Netflix has been campaigning against VPN servers. It has literally spent millions to detect and block VPN servers. The company has been fairly successful in its endeavor, as they have already detected and restricted hundreds of such servers.
But that’s not a reason for you to be concerned. Fortunately, there are still some top-notch VPN service providers that have managed to elude Netflix’s searchlight. In this article, we will learn about the top VPN services you can use to watch geo-restricted content on Netflix.
Why Does Netflix Geo-Restrict Some Content?
Before you start labeling Netflix as cheap or cruel, let me tell you something. Netflix stands to gain more by giving access to as much content as possible to as many people as possible. So, geo-restricting is definitely not one of their marketing strategies to make content harder to access so that it becomes more desirable as a service.
Copyrights and licensing agreements are the reasons not all of Netflix’s databases can be made available in all countries. There is no global license that lets a company host content on an online entertainment platform anywhere in the world. Services like Netflix must obtain individual licenses for each piece of content in every country.
Studios and production houses usually have different licensing contracts in different countries. If a particular piece of content available on Netflix in one country has been licensed to be hosted by another platform in another country, Netflix will have to restrict that content in the other country. For instance, a TV show available on Netflix in the US may not be available on Netflix in the UK due to licensing issues.
In the same sense, if a satellite channel has secured the rights to broadcast a particular piece of content in a region, it will not be available for online streaming on Netflix.
Apparently, Netflix US has the largest content library for the simple reason that the company is headquartered in this country.
Your internet service provider (ISP) assigns a unique IP address to your internet connection. IP addresses identify not only your country but also your region. In fact, an IP address can even indicate who a particular connection belongs to. Netflix uses this IP address to unlock content specific to your region and block content restricted to other regions. This is why you cannot access the Netflix US library from outside the US unless you use a VPN.
Not All VPNs Can Stream Netflix’s Geo-Restricted Content
Earlier in this article, I briefly touched on how a VPN service can help you bypass regional limitations and let you stream your favorite geo-restricted content. A Netflix VPN will route the network traffic from your connection through one of the servers in the region whose content you wish to watch. For example, if you wish to access Netflix US content from another country, you could have your traffic routed through a VPN server in the US. This way, your original IP address will be masked, and the VPN will trick Netflix into believing that the access request has been made from within the US.
But, as I have already said, not all VPN services can help you do that, especially the free ones.
Netflix spends big bucks on identifying and blocking VPN servers. This is why you may get a “proxy detected” error while trying to stream Netflix with a free VPN. Even most paid VPN services get blocked from time to time. There are only a handful of VPN providers that can truly offer access to restricted Netflix content. We will talk about the most popular and effective VPNs for Netflix in this article, with ExpressVPN leading the pack.
How Does Netflix Detect a VPN: Quick Look
Before we jump into the details of these VPN services, it would be worth your while to know how Netflix proxy errors appear and how the company is able to tell VPN servers from regular ones.
When you are connected to a VPN server, a new IP address is assigned to your connection. However, you are not the only one using the server. Hundreds or even thousands of users may be using the same server at any given time. Most VPN providers assign the same IP address to you and all other users on that server.
There are two primary reasons the same IP is given to every user: Firstly, it is more cost-effective for VPN providers. By doing this, they can save more resources per connection and lower the subscription they charge their users.
Secondly, one of the biggest reasons people use a VPN is to maintain anonymity. When there are multiple users on a server with the same IP address, online anonymity is easily preserved.
Netflix VPNs have a lot of Netflix users logged in to a particular server at any given time. Multiple users coming from the same IP address put the server on Netflix’s radar. The company probably applies some algorithm to identify the IP addresses belonging to VPN servers. As a result, those IP addresses are blocked, preventing you from streaming region-restricted content. That’s when you see the proxy error on Netflix.
But, don’t lose hope. You can still unblock video streams provided you are using one of the services I mention in this article. It’s not that these VPN providers have found a way to keep their server IP addresses hidden. On the contrary, their IP addresses also get blocked by Netflix. However, they have a solid team of engineers who keep working around the clock to make sure there are always new IP addresses available to you.
Read Also: 10 Reasons Why You Need a VPN
Best VPN for Netflix (2023)
We will now take a more in-depth look at the best Netflix VPNs for 2023. I will start with ExpressVPN because, in my personal opinion, it is the best VPN for Netflix. But the other VPNs on the list are pretty good too.
ExpressVPN – #1 Best Netflix VPN
ExpressVPN has been eluding the Netflix VPN detection algorithm for quite some time. Even though Netflix banned many of its IP addresses and servers, the developers of this VPN service are always on their toes and keep coming up with new virtual locations. For the most part, you can connect to a server quickly and start streaming restricted content almost immediately. Sometimes you will run into Netflix proxy issues that prominently plague other VPN providers. Such instances, however, are relatively fewer as compared to other services.
There are a few things that make the ExpressVPN Netflix service stand out from the rest. Its biggest draw is its number of servers. Presently, ExpressVPN has more than 3000 servers spread across nearly 94 countries in 160 server locations. Of course, a large percentage of its servers are in the United States, the most popular location for Netflix’s VPN service.
One of the biggest challenges with most VPN services is that they reduce the internet connection speed provided by your ISP. Some VPNs even slow the speed by more than 50%. Fortunately, that’s not the case with ExpressVPN. You will achieve 80–90% of the original speed, which is truly impressive. It is good enough to stream all types of content, including HD and even 4K. I wouldn’t mince my words in saying I am quite impressed with this feat.
ExpressVPN also has a built-in ‘Speed Test’ tool that indexes its servers by speed and lets you choose the servers with the fastest download speed. This further makes sure that you experience the least amount of latency and Netflix problems while streaming your favorite content.
Wondering about the features that make ExpressVPN the best VPN service for Netflix? Allow me to introduce you to some of them. Things can go sideways at any given moment. And when they do, ExpressVPN’s custom kill switch, known as Network Lock, comes into play. This feature keeps your Netflix activity and data safe if your VPN connection drops. It simply blocks off all internet traffic until your device’s protection is restored. This feature is standard on ExpressVPN apps for Windows, Mac, Linux, and routers.
Are you enjoying using ExpressVPN’s superb servers to watch your favorite Netflix content from different regions? Great! But what if you don’t want your whole system to use ExpressVPN encryption? This is where the advanced split-tunneling feature helps you out. You can use this feature to route VPN-incompatible services like banking apps through your normal internet connection while still protecting your Netflix session.
Worried about slow Netflix sessions when using a VPN? Or do you think someone is still capable of spying on what you watch, where you watch, and how much you watch? Well, don’t worry. Say hello to ExpressVPN’s TrustedServer security: All data is wiped from ExpressVPN servers after every reboot, as they run on RAM only. Also, the entire software stack is reinstalled on servers after every startup to make sure your Netflix streaming doesn’t get compromised.
Netflix is available on almost all the popular platforms in use these days. This entertainment service has native apps for Android, iOS, Windows Mobile, Windows PC, Mac OS, and Linux. Thankfully, ExpressVPN is also supported on all these platforms. So, it doesn’t matter which device you use Netflix on. If you want to get a new server location for your device, ExpressVPN will come to your aid. In fact, ExpressVPN even has extensions for popular browsers like Chrome and Firefox.
If you happen to own an Apple TV, Amazon FireStick, PlayStation 3 or 4, Xbox 360, or one of them, you are in luck. ExpressVPN offers a MediaStreamer service that lets you access geo-restricted Netflix content on these device platforms as well.
You can use ExpressVPN on multiple devices at the same time. A single subscription to this service allows you to use it on eight devices. To learn more, read our ExpressVPN review.
Let’s get this straight! ExpressVPN is definitely not one of the cheapest VPN services. In fact, it is costlier (even if slightly) than most other such services. But, given the fact that it has such a large number of servers and that it offers excellent speed and connectivity, it is every bit worth its salt.
ExpressVPN is available in three pricing tiers as follows:
- 1 month: $12.95
- 6 months: $9.99 per month (billed at $59.95 every 6 months)
- Best Value for Money: $6.67 per month (billed at $99.95 for 15 months)
All the plans above come with a 100% money-back guarantee within 30 days. If you are not satisfied with the service, you can have your money returned without any hassles.
How to get ExpressVPN for Netflix
Here is how you can subscribe to ExpressVPN.
1. Visit the official website using any computer or mobile browser. Click Get ExpressVPN on the page.
2. Choose one of the three available plans as shown below. As you can see, the 12-month plan is the most popular with the biggest savings.
4. You can make the payment using one of the major credit card providers, PayPal, or even Bitcoin. Yes! Even Bitcoin. There are additional payment options in the Other section. Select your preferred payment mode, enter your payment details, and make the payment. Once you have made the payment, you will receive the activation code, which you will use to log in to the ExpressVPN app on desktop or mobile devices.
Setting Up and Installing ExpressVPN
ExpressVPN is an amazing VPN that works with Netflix and many other services. But before you can use it on your computer, you will need to set it up.
If you are using the app on a mobile device, you can simply download the app from your app store and sign in with the login credentials you created while buying your ExpressVPN subscription. I’ll still show you how in the next section.
Install ExpressVPN on Your Windows / Mac / Linux Computer
Here are the simple steps that work on Windows, Mac, and Linux computers:
1. Sign in to your ExpressVPN account on its website. Click the Set Up ExpressVPN button. This will redirect you to the download page.
2. Now click on the desired OS section and download the installer file of the app for your operating system version. Now run the installer file that you just downloaded. You will see an installation screen like the one below.
3. Click Yes when you see the warning message shown below.
4. The installation process will start as shown below.
5. Once the installation is complete, click Close.
Install ExpressVPN for Netflix On Your Mobile Device
Getting started with ExpressVPN on a mobile device is just as easy as setting it up on a computer. Make sure you have downloaded the app from the official app store. The app has the same interface across all mobile platforms. The steps below are for Android, but they work the same way on other mobiles. Here is what you need to do:
1. Open the ExpressVPN app on your mobile device and tap the Sign in button. Sign in with the email address and password you used when you created an account.
That’s it! You are all set to go with ExpressVPN on your mobile device.
How to Use Netflix with ExpressVPN
We will now learn how to select a desired server on ExpressVPN to stream region-specific Netflix content. The following steps and images are from ExpressVPN on Windows. However, since this VPN tool has a similar interface across all platforms, you will have no difficulty using it regardless of which device you use.
The only major difference between the mobile and desktop apps is that on the mobile app, you first need to sign in with your ExpressVPN account credentials (email address and password) and then enter an activation code. On the other hand, you can start using the app on your computer immediately by providing the activation code.
To obtain the activation code, check the welcome email that you received from ExpressVPN. Click on Setup ExpressVPN Now within the email and you will be taken to the Activation page. Here are the steps to use ExpressVPN with Netflix.
1. Run ExpressVPN on your device and enter your activation code, which you can get from your ExpressVPN welcome email.
2. When ExpressVPN launches, select the Start Using the App button.
3. Click the Choose Location button on the ExpressVPN app’s home screen. You’ll see a new page with the list of the servers. There are three tabs here: Recommended, All, and Recents. Select the Recommended tab (we will talk about the other tabs later).
4. Since we want to stream Netflix USA content, click on the small triangle on the left next to the United States to see the list of the recommended servers for this location.
5. Now click the large power button in the center of the app.
6. ExpressVPN will now start connecting. Once you are connected to the server, the ExpressVPN power button will become green.
You are all set now. Now go ahead and open Netflix so you can start streaming. Enjoy!
What If ExpressVPN Netflix Is Not Working?
If the chosen ExpressVPN server is not working with Netflix, there is a chance it has been detected by Netflix or it is experiencing some temporary issue. No worries! You can easily choose another server.
1. Click the power button again to disconnect from the currently connected server. Click Choose Location and this time select a different server in your desired country.
2. The Recommended tab only shows the most popular servers. If you want to see the list of all servers, click the All tab. Here is how the server list is categorized:
You will find all the USA servers in the Americas category. In the Recents tab, you can see the list of the servers you have recently connected to and the servers you have favored.
IPVanish – #2 Best Netflix VPN
IPVanish is widely considered one of the top VPN service providers worldwide. If you are looking for Netflix-unblocking solutions, then this tool can do the job just as well as any other VPN.
As we’ve done for other VPNs on the list, let’s weigh IPVanish based on important parameters for a Netflix VPN.
Netflix sometimes rapidly detects and blocks VPN servers, so it’s important for a VPN service to have a healthy server count. In comparison to the numerous other VPN services, IPVanish does an outstanding job.
IPVanish had been the biggest victim of Netflix’s crusade against VPN servers. In fact, if you Google phrases like “IPVanish Netflix,” you will find many results stating that IPVanish doesn’t work with Netflix any longer. However, this is not the case anymore. There was a time when most of its servers had been detected and banned by Netflix. But, IPVanish is back in business with 1,900+ servers spread across more than 75 locations worldwide. Most of its servers are in the USA and Europe. I have tested many of the servers, and they worked with Netflix. IPVanish also recently enhanced support for Netflix streaming.
Connection speed is not an issue with IPVanish. My internet connection speed is decent, at about 80 Mbps. With this VPN, for the most part, I can play even 4K content without experiencing any buffering issues.
There are a handful of features that make IPVanish one of the best VPN services for watching Netflix. IPVanish provides secure media access to its users, letting you avail of the security perks of IPVanish while enjoying your favorite content.
IPVanish provides shared IP addresses to increase your anonymity when you are using Netflix. You can easily mask your identity on Netflix when switching back and forth between regions and the 40,000+ IPVanish IP addresses. Note that the IPs are shared among IPVanish users so that no activity can be traced to individuals.
Don’t want to use a VPN to encrypt your Netflix session? Don’t worry, you can maximize your speed while still experiencing greater privacy with the SOCKS5 proxy. IPVanish is able to spoof your location on Netflix using various techniques, and the backbone of these strategies is the DNS leak protection feature. This feature is enabled by default to keep your traffic and true location details safe within IPVanish’s private network.
Lastly, IPVanish has an automatic startup feature that wakes up the VPN connection as soon as it detects traffic. So, if you forget to turn on your VPN while watching Netflix, IPVanish will still prevent your data from being shared.
IPVanish has you covered on all the major platforms. It has a dedicated app for Android and iOS mobile platforms, which you can download from the official app stores. It also has a desktop client for Windows and Mac computers.
In other words, IPVanish will help you bypass the Netflix proxy error on a wide range of devices, including laptops, desktop computers, smartphones, tablets, smart TV devices like FireSticks, and more.
IPVanish is available in pricing tiers as follows:
- 1 month: $11.99.
- Yearly: Average $4.49 a month (billed $47.89).
- Best Value for Money Two-Yearly: Average $3.33 per month (billed $79.99).
IPVanish supports all the popular payment methods.
Getting Started with IPVanish
Here is how you can sign up for IPVanish.
1. Visit the official website and click Get Started in the top-right corner of the page. If you are using the mobile site, you can tap START NOW under any of the plans at the top of the home page.
2. Select a plan or confirm the default selection. Provide your email address and choose a password. Select the payment method of your choice and make the payment.
Installing the IPVanish App
Now we will learn how to download and install the IPVanish app on various devices. If you are using Android or iOS mobile, download the app from the official app stores (Google Play Store or Apple App Store). If you are using a Windows or Mac computer, you can download the desktop client app from the IPVanish website.
Note: There is no app for Linux. You can learn more about the manual setup by clicking on the Linux icon shown in the image below.
Here are the steps to install the IPVanish app on your computer (works on both Mac and OS):
1. Download the setup file for your operating system as mentioned above. Run the setup file. You will see the screen as shown below. Click Next.
2. Read and accept the terms of the agreement by checking the box, then click Next again. Choose wherever you would like the program to be installed, or leave the default destination. Click Next to proceed.
3. Click Install on the next screen to proceed.
4. Click Yes when you see the following warning.
5. Once the installation is complete, you will see the screen shown below. Click Run IPVanish to launch the app or click Close if you want to run it later.
How to Use Netflix with IPVanish VPN
Now we will learn how to use Netflix with this VPN service. The method I have outlined below was done on Windows, but it works exactly the same way on Mac.
The IPVanish app on mobile devices uses the same interface and options, so the steps to watch Netflix with IPVanish on your mobile device will be about the same. Download the app from the official app store (Google Play Store or Apple App Store) and log in with your email address and the password you created when you signed up. Grant the app all the necessary permissions to let it run smoothly on your device. Here are the steps to use IPVanish on your computer:
1. Run IPVanish. Enter your email address and password and click LOGIN.
2. Once you are logged in, this is how the interface will look. On the left sidebar, the Quick Connect option is selected by default. For the most part, you will only need to use this section. However, if you want to view all the available servers, you can click Server List.
3. The Quick Connect tab has a drop-down menu for Country, Best City, and Best Server on the bottom right. Select the United States as your Country (or wherever you want to stream Netflix from), then select a City and Server from the respective dropdowns.
4. Click Connect and the following message will appear. Click Yes to continue (it’s a standard driver installation).
5. Click Install when you see the following warning message.
6. Click OK on the message that appears.
7. Once the driver is installed, Click Connect again to connect the selected server so that IPVanish shows ON in the top-right corner.
Now go ahead and log in to your Netflix account using your existing username and password. You will now have access to the content from US Netflix (or whichever country you selected).
PIA – #3 Best Netflix VPN
Based in the United States, Private Internet Access, known as PIA for short, was founded in 2010. Owned by Kape Technologies, PIA is one of the leading virtual private network services in the world. Private Internet Access lets you take control of the privacy and security of your Internet browsing experience. Whether you are playing games online, watching Netflix, or reading an article, PIA provides you with a premium digital privacy experience.
Trusted by big names in the game like Forbes, CBS News, GIZMODO, and Wired, to name a few, PIA provides privacy protection, data security, and unlimited bandwidth. PIA has 10 years of experience and 15 million satisfied customers worldwide. PIA provides cutting-edge security and privacy features to its customers so they can feel safe on the internet. PIA has a trust pilot rating of 4.6 out of the 8,000+ reviews by people from around the globe.
If you have even a tiny bit of knowledge about how VPN services work, you must know the importance of servers. On Private Internet Access, you’ll find many, many servers—over 30,000. It’s a massive network, and it’s spread across 83 countries. You can expect blazing-fast internet speed without any lag. So, you can enjoy 4K streaming, online gaming, fast downloads, and more on PIA servers.
The next-gen servers of Private Internet Access have one of the most sophisticated architectures. Unlike other services, you won’t notice interruptions when streaming your favorite show on Netflix in 4K. Although PIA has servers in 83 countries, a large percentage are in their home country, the US. This means you can easily connect to the Netflix US library using the vast array of US servers available with PIA.
Use as much data as you like and stream as many Netflix shows in UHD quality as you like, and PIA servers won’t slow down. That’s because PIA doesn’t throttle your connection or limit your speeds. PIA provides unlimited bandwidth to you.
PIA provides excellent speeds thanks to its global network of next-gen servers optimized for 10 Gbps connection speeds! All VPNs reduce your connection speed at least slightly, but in one test, PIA was able to score a strong 81 Mbps out of a 100 Mbps internet connection.
Numbers game aside, PIA offers one of the best streaming experiences for Netflix users. You can connect to your favorite Netflix regions, like the US, Canada, Japan, or the UK, to watch your favorite titles in maximum available quality. People who use Private Internet Access experience a smooth and lag-free binge-watching experience on Netflix. All in all, PIA provides promising download and upload speeds that are more than enough for streaming and downloading titles on Netflix.
What features make Private Internet Access the second-best VPN for Netflix? I’m glad you asked. Without its high speeds, you wouldn’t be able to enjoy different Netflix libraries in UHD quality with no buffering. That’s why Private Internet Access features the hyper-efficient open-source WireGuard VPN protocol. Having only about 4,000 lines of code, the WireGuard protocol gives PIA the speed and stability you need to experience Netflix like never before.
The point of a VPN is to make you safe on the internet, so it mustn’t take advantage of your data in any way. Private Internet Access has a strict no-logs policy. Not to mention the company has court records to back its claim. PIA never stores or shares your personal information, such as your IP address, bandwidth consumption, browsing history, or connection duration. So, you have the freedom to enjoy a safe Netflix experience.
Just like ExpressVPN, PIA also features a highly configurable split tunneling feature. You can use your VPN-incompatible apps, like your finance services, via your normal connection while encrypting your Netflix session using the split tunneling function. In addition, PIA allows you to set custom rules for apps and websites. Plus, PIA’s kill switch lets you avoid exposing your unencrypted connection in the event that your encrypted connection to the VPN server drops.
You might be wondering, On what devices can I use Private Internet Access? Well, you can use it on the vast majority of smart devices. You’ll find the official PIA app for Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, Apple iOS, game consoles, and smart TVs. Also, you’ll find official PIA extensions in the Google Chrome, Opera, and Firefox browsers.
Not to mention, you can also install the custom VPN firmware for PIA directly on supported routers in order to simultaneously protect all devices on your network. You can learn more about installing PIA on routers on their official page for protecting your entire network.
The apps and extensions made by PIA are super easy to install, use, and configure. They provide a user-friendly experience for both newbies and familiar users. PIA offers simultaneous access on up to 10 devices, meaning that you and the rest of your family members can all protect your devices’ connections and watch Netflix in any country you want.
PIA believes that there should be options for everyone, and their pricing plans back up that idea. In fact, PIA has one of the best pricing plans in the game. PIA’s three plans are as follows:
- 1 month: $11.99
- 6 months: $7.50 per month (billed at $45 every 6 months)
- Best Value for Money: $2.19 per month for 2 years + 2 months (billed at $56.94 for the first 26 months, then $56.96 yearly after that)
You can purchase a PIA plan using a credit card, PayPal, or cryptocurrencies. Also, all the plans come with a 30-day money-back guarantee, so getting a longer plan saves you money at no risk. If you don’t like the service, you can get your money back, no questions asked. Apart from its VPN, PIA offers two free add-ons: antivirus for Windows PCs and a dedicated IP address.
How to Get PIA for Netflix
Just like ExpressVPN, you will have to first buy a Private Internet Access subscription to access the service. I’ll show you how you can create an account and purchase a PIA subscription on your computer via the official website.
Note: In the next section, I’ll show how you can subscribe to the free trial for PIA, which is available only by signing up on an Android or iOS device. If you’re interested in the free trial, skip past these subscription steps and follow along with the next section.
1. First, open your favorite web browser on your computer and visit the official PIA site. Once the page is done loading, click on Risk-Free For 30 Days.
2. Next, you’ll land on the pricing page for Private Internet Access plans. Pick a plan according to your preference by clicking on the green Select Plan button. I’m choosing the best-value deal because all plans are covered by a 30-day money-back guarantee.
3. After a few seconds, you’ll land on the payment method screen. Here, you’ll see your order summary on the left side and the available payment methods on the right side. You can pay via credit card, PayPal, or cryptocurrencies. Select the payment method you would like to use. I’m selecting Credit Card for this demonstration.
4. Next, enter the required payment information. When you’re done, click on the red Pay Now button.
5. Some of you will be redirected to your banking method to confirm the transaction. Others will have to follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process. When you’re finished, the username and password for your account will be sent to your email address.
That’s how you purchase a PIA subscription via the official website. If you want your money back for any reason, you can submit a ticket on the PIA website to start your refund process within 30 days of your purchase.
Setting Up & Installing PIA
If you purchased a subscription from PIA’s official website, you’re all set! In this section, I’ll show you how you can set up and install PIA on your smartphone or computer.
However, for some of you who don’t want to spend your money but still want to try Private Internet Access, I have something for you! I’ll show how you can use your smartphone device, either iOS or Android, to sign up for a 7-day PIA free trial. Note that this feature isn’t available for people who are purchasing the subscription via PIA’s website.
Before you opt for the trial, note that the subscription that follows isn’t refundable. You can only apply for a refund if you get your subscription from PIA’s official website. With all that out of the way, let’s get started.
Install and Set Up PIA for Netflix on Android (With a Free Trial)
In this section, I’ll show you how you can install, set up, and get a free trial of Private Internet Access on your Android device. I’ll cover iOS devices in the next section.
1. First, open your Android device and launch the Google Play Store.
2. Next, tap the search box at the top of your screen.
3. Then, enter private internet access and initiate the search.
4. Private Internet Access VPN will come up. Tap on the green Install button to start the downloading and installing process.
5. Wait for the process to complete.
6. Once it’s done, launch the Private Internet Access app from your home screen or app menu and wait for it to load.
7. Now, you’ll see two options, a Yearly and Monthly subscription, as well as and SUBSCRIBE NOW and LOGIN buttons. If you have already purchased a PIA subscription, tap on LOGIN. Then enter your username and password to log in to your account. If you don’t have a subscription and want to redeem the free trial, select the Yearly option and click on the green SUBSCRIBE NOW button.
Note: Make sure you have linked your Google Pay account with your PayPal or Credit/Debit Card.
8. After that, you’ll see all the details of your subscription, including the trial duration, the date and amount of the first payment, and more. The Google Play Store will send you a reminder two days before your PIA trials end. To confirm, tap the green Subscribe button.
9. Wait for the Google Play Store to process your request. Once it’s done, you’ll be taken back to the PIA app. There, you’ll be asked to share your connection stats with the company anonymously. I recommend clicking on the NO THANKS button to continue.
10. Wait for the app to load. Then, PIA will ask you to enter your email address. Enter your valid email address and click on the green SUBMIT button. Note that PIA will send your account details and other important information to your email account.
11. Next, PIA will provide you with your account username and password. I recommend writing them down somewhere safe so you can use them to log in to your other devices too. If you don’t want to write them down, don’t worry! As I mentioned, PIA has already sent your account details to your email address. Click on the green GET STARTED button to continue.
12. PIA will now ask you to provide access to your device so it can install its VPN configurations. Click on the green OK button to continue.
13. Your device will prompt you to allow access to the PIA connection request, so click on the OK button to continue.
14. Finally, you’ll land on the home screen of Private Internet Access! Congratulations, you have installed and set up PIA on your Android device with a free trial. You can click the power button to connect.
Install & Set Up PIA for Netflix on iOS (With Free Trial)
1. Open the App Store on your iOS device.
2. Then, click on the Search option at the bottom left.
3. Next, click on the search input box at the top of your screen.
4. Enter private internet access in the search box and initiate the search.
5. Find VPN by Private Internet Access near the top of the search results. Click on the Get button to start the downloading process. (Note that I’m seeing the cloud icon as I have already downloaded the PIA app on my iOS device.)
6. Once it’s done installing, click on the PIA VPN icon to launch it.
7. Now, if you want to test Private Internet Access via the free trial, select the Yearly option and click on the green SUBSCRIBE NOW button.
8. After that, the App Store will ask you to confirm the purchase. Double-press on the power button to confirm your purchase. You’ll see that the App Store will start working on your process.
Note: Your Apple account must have a valid payment option added already.
9. Press Done at the bottom of the screen.
10. You’ll be taken to the next screen to enter your email address, and then you’ll asked to follow other on-screen instructions to claim your free trial. I’ve already claimed the free trial, so instead, I’ll use the LOGIN button to sign in to my paid Private Internet Access account. If you’ve purchased a PIA subscription or you already have an account like me, you can follow the steps I show next.
11. Enter your username and password and click on the green LOGIN button.
12. After that, PIA will ask you to access your settings to install the VPN. Click on the green OK button to continue.
13. Your device will show you a pop-up asking to add VPN configurations. Click on the Allow button.
14. Then, enter your device’s password.
15. After that, you’ll land on the home screen of the PIA app. Lastly, click on the Allow button to let the app send you notifications.
Congratulations! You have installed and set up PIA on your iOS device.
Install & Set Up PIA on Your Windows / Mac / Linux Computer
1. On your Windows, Mac, or Linux computer, launch your web browser and go to the official website of PIA at www.privateinternetaccess.com. Wait for the page to load and hover your cursor on the Apps button at the top of your screen.
2. Now, select your platform, Windows, macOS, or Linux. I’m using an Apple computer, so I’ll select macOS.
3. On the next screen, click on the green Download PIA for Windows/Linux/macOS button.
4. Finally, click on the Allow button to let the downloading process start.
5. Wait for your computer to download the Private Internet Access app.
6. Once it’s done, go to the Downloads folder and unzip the file.
7. Wait for the system to extract the files.
8. After that, click on the PIA app.
Note: The installation process on Windows and Linux computers will be slightly different. However, just follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
9. Wait for macOS to verify the integrity of the application.
10. Next, a pop-up menu will appear, click on the Open button.
11. Another pop-up will appear asking you to enter the password for your system to install additional helper tools. Enter your password.
12. Click on the blue Install Helper button.
13. After a few seconds, the PIA app will launch on your computer. Click on the LOG IN button.
14. Then, enter your username and password and click on the green LOG IN button to continue.
15. Lastly, you’ll land on the home screen of the Private Internet Access app.
How to Use Netflix with PIA
Now that your PIA app is all set up and running, it’s time to see how you can use PIA to watch Netflix on your device. I’ll show you how to use Netflix with PIA on your computer and smartphone.
Note that I’ll be using a Mac and an iPhone to demonstrate. However, the steps are similar on Windows and Android devices. So without further ado, let’s jump in.
Use PIA with Netflix on Computers
1. On your macOS, open the Launchpad.
2. Then, click on the Private Internet Access icon to launch it.
3. The PIA app will launch as a Mac extension. You can reveal more options by clicking on the down arrow.
4. Here, you’ll find advanced settings like a kill switch, protocol selection, snooze options, and more.
5. We have to connect to a US server se we can access the US library of Netflix. To do that, click on the right arrow button.
6. You’ll see a long list of PIA VPN servers available for you. Scroll down and select one of the US servers. I’m choosing US East.
7. You’ll be taken back to the home screen of PIA. Now, click on the big power button to connect to the server you have selected.
8. Wait a bit to let PIA connect to your desired server. Finally, you’ll see that you have been connected.
9. Now, open your web browser, go to Netflix, and log in to your account. You’ll notice that you are now in the US region of Netflix with tons of content to access that wasn’t previously available to you.
Use PIA with Netflix on Smartphones
1. Unlock your smartphone and open the PIA VPN app.
2. Then, click on the right arrow on the right side of your screen.
3. You’ll see a long list of servers you can use to watch Netflix. Scroll down and select one of the US servers to access the US library of Netflix. I’m selecting the US East server.
4. Upon selection, the app will automatically take you to its home screen and start connecting to the server you have picked.
5. You’ll see that you have connected to your desired server location.
6. Now, close your Netflix app if it’s open and re-launch it. Sign in to your account if you haven’t already. Select your profile and you’re all set! You’ll be able to access the official US library of Netflix.
CyberGhost – #4 Best Netflix VPN
Made in 2011 by Robert Knapp and based in Romania, CyberGhost is a favorite VPN service around the world. CyberGhost VPN is powered by 15 years of expertise in the industry. This service gives your devices an extra layer of security in the unforgiving world of the internet, keeping prying eyes at bay and making your devices untraceable and anonymous online. Your data and activity become inaccessible to anyone other than you.
CyberGhost uses best-in-class VPN protocols, encryption standards, and advanced features to keep you and your data safe from hackers and snoopers. Also, it makes sure that you get top speeds to stream your favorite titles on Netflix, regardless of the region you pick.
CyberGhost has an ever-growing network of high-tech servers that make your security and privacy possible. Currently, there are over 8,000 servers in 91 countries and 114 unique locations, including P2P servers.
What makes CyberGhost perfect for Netflix users is its ability to unlock libraries of multiple regions. The service allows you to access Netflix libraries from France, Germany, the United Kingdom, the United States, Australia, Brazil, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, and Turkey. With so much unlocking power, you can stay up-to-date with the most popular Netflix titles anywhere in the world. You just need to subscribe to CyberGhost, set up the app on your device, select your desired region, and connect!
Just like Netflix, online privacy is also becoming a necessity. With CyberGhost servers, you can keep binge-watching your favorite shows from different regions while keeping your activity private. CyberGhost VPN servers support all the popular protocols, like iKEv2, L2TP/IPsec, and OpenVPN. Also, they use state-of-the-art 256-bit AES encryption, the gold standard for VPNs.
Speed is everything when it comes to using a VPN service in peace. Yeah, sure, privacy and security matter a lot, but you simply can’t compromise on your download and upload speed. According to CyberGhost, the minimum bandwidth you receive shouldn’t fall below 6 Mbps, while the maximum could reach 1 Gbps.
According to some tests on a 1 Gbps internet connection, CyberGhost was able to provide 854 Mbps on North American servers, 480 Mbps on European servers, and 312 Mbps on Asian servers. Switching protocols also played a significant role in the resulting download and upload speeds.
In terms of watching Netflix, CyberGhost really kills it! This service eliminates the bandwidth throttling caused by ISPs. The speed and buffer-free experience you get when watching Netflix with CyberGhost VPN’s lightning-fast servers make you forget that you’re even using a VPN. Of course, there’s no drop in video quality either.
CyberGhost has some excellent features that make it one of the best VPNs for Netflix. Firstly, we have CyberGhost’s trademarked NoSpy servers, which were made to keep users safe from surveillance and third-party meddling. NoSpy servers feature 256-bit AES encryption. Also, they are located in Romania, which is outside the jurisdiction of 5 Eyes and 14 Eyes collections of countries. These servers are custom-engineered to provide high speeds with extended bandwidth.
The internet was made based on the ideas of freedom and openness. But sadly, censorship and geo-restrictions play their part in restricting content to specific audiences. Netflix users know this especially well because they can’t access libraries from different regions without a VPN. But with CyberGhost, you can easily bypass all the geo-restrictions set by Netflix and access its different libraries.
CyberGhost also provides IP and DNS leak protection to its users. With this feature, no matter what happens, your original IP address and DNS won’t be leaked while you are watching Netflix or doing anything else. In addition, there’s an automatic kill switch that stops your internet traffic if the VPN protection ever drops.
Are you looking to protect all your devices with CyberGhost VPN? Then you won’t be disappointed. No matter what kind of smart device you own, CyberGhost has an app for you. You can use CyberGhost to stream Netflix content on almost any of your devices.
On the desktop side of things, CyberGhost has personalized apps for Windows, macOS, and Linux. For mobile, they have official apps for Android and iOS. Chrome and Firefox extensions are also available, as well as apps for smart TVs, including Fire TV, Android TV, and Apple TV. CyberGhost even has apps for gaming consoles like Xbox and PlayStation.
CyberGhost VPN service lets you create custom connections with OpenVPN, L2TP, or IPSec and secure your internet connection. Although not all routers are supported, some of the popular ones are. You can read more about using CyberGhost on your router here.
Another thing I personally love about CyberGhost is that you can use up to 7 devices simultaneously with one account. Over 38 million CyberGhost users worldwide use the service on multiple devices to unlock and watch different libraries of Netflix. Everyone in your family can stream their favorite Netflix titles without taking turns on a single device.
CyberGhost has four different plans.
- 1 month: $12.99
- 1 year: $4.29 per month (billed at $51.48 every year)
- 2 years: $3.25 per month (billed at $78 after every 2 years)
- Best Value for Money: $2.29 per month for 3 years + 3 months (billed at $89.31 every 3 years)
The 1-month plan has a 14-day money-back guarantee, while the other three plans come with a 45-day money-back guarantee. Also, you get free 24/7 live support. Note that there’s a dedicated IP address add-on that you can get for an additional $3.75 per month.
How to Get CyberGhost for Netflix
In this section, I’ll show how you can purchase a CyberGhost subscription via the official website.
Note: You can get a completely free 1-day CyberGhost trial, no payment information required. This is a great way to give the service a try with zero commitment and zero risk.
1. First, go to the official CyberGhost website and click on on Get CyberGhost VPN.
2. On the next page, you’ll see all the plans offered by CyberGhost. Choose whichever plan you prefer by clicking on the corresponding Get plan button.
3. Next, you’ll be redirected to the CyberGhost payment method page. Before you move forward, click on the Ok, I got it button to accept cookies on the website. This will help ensure your payment goes through.
4. You’ll see the summary of your order, including the price, discount, plan details, and more. Select one of the three available payment options, credit/debit card, PayPal, or cryptocurrency. Note that you can also select and purchase CyberGhost add-ons to boost your security.
5. Once you’re done, scroll down and enter your email address where indicated.
6. After entering your email, click on the green Complete your purchase button.
7. CyberGhost will process your information and redirect you to the final payment screen. There, you’ll see your order on the left side and the billing details on the right side. Enter the required information.
8. After entering your payment information, click on the green Next button.
9. You’ll be asked to verify your purchase via your payment channel. Just follow the on-screen steps to complete your CyberGhost subscription purchase.
Remember that you have 14 days (for the 1-month plan) or 45 days (for the other plans) to get your money back if you decide not to stick with the service.
Setting Up & Installing CyberGhost
Got a CyberGhost subscription from the official website? Great! Now you can use your account details to log in to your account. In this section, I’ll show you how you can set up and install CyberGhost on your smartphone (both Android and iOS) and computer.
Also, I’ll share how you can get a CyberGhost free trial via your Android or iOS device while installing the app. But there’s a catch when purchasing a subscription via the Apple App Store or Google Play Store: Refunds for purchases not made via the CyberGhost website are not handled by them. You’ll have to get a refund from the respective app store. Unfortunately, refunds through the Apple App Store will only be issued at the sole discretion of Apple Support.
Let’s move forward and see how to set up and install the CyberGhost app on mobile devices and computers.
Install CyberGhost for Netflix on Android (With Free Trial)
In this section, I’ll show you how you can install the CyberGhost app for Netflix on your Android and get a free trial of the service. I have created separate steps for Android and iOS so you can easily follow along. So if you use iOS, move to the next section.
1. On your Android device, go to the Google Play Store.
2. Tap on the Search box located on the top side of your screen.
3. After that, enter cyberghost and initiate the search by tapping the blue magnifying glass icon on your keyboard.
4. The CyberGhost app will appear at the top of your search results. Tap on the green Install button to start downloading and installing the app.
5. Wait for the app to download and install on your phone.
6. Open CyberGhost once the app is done installing.
7. On the first launch, CyberGhost will ask you to agree to the terms and conditions. Read the information and tap on the yellow Agree & continue button.
8. Now, you’ll land on the login/signup page. If you already have a paid CyberGhost account, tap on the Existing user? button at the bottom of your screen.
9. Then, enter your email and password and tap on the Login button to sign in to your account.
10. Want to sign up for the CyberGhost free trial? On the login/signup page, enter your email and set a password. After that, tap on the yellow Create account button.
11. Next, CyberGhost will ask you to add its VPN settings to your phone. Tap on the yellow OK button to allow.
12. Your phone will show a connection request notification. Tap on the OK button to continue.
13. Next, you’ll land on the subscription screen for CyberGhost. Tap on the yellow Subscribe now button.
14. You’ll see all the information about the subscription, including the trial period, first payment date, and payment amount. Confirm the subscription by tapping on the green Subscribe button.
15. Verify your purchase via the security protocol set on your phone, whether it’s your fingerprint, facial recognition, or your password.
16. Wait for the Google Play Store to process your request. After that, your purchase will be complete!
17. You’ll be asked to manage your backup payment methods. Tap on the No Thanks button to continue.
18. Wait for CyberGhost to load. Next, you’ll be asked to grant access to some missing permissions. Tap on the Skip button to continue.
19. Finally, you’ll land on the home screen of CyberGhost VPN, and the app will be ready to use.
After seven days, you’ll be charged for the annual subscription to CyberGhost. Make sure to keep this in mind. If you want, you can cancel the plan from the Google Play Store on your Android device.
Install CyberGhost for Netflix on iOS (With Free Trial)
1. Launch the App Store on your iOS device.
2. Tap on Search on the bottom right.
3. After that, tap the Search box at the top.
4. Enter cyberghost and initiate the search by tapping the blue search button.
5. CyberGhost will show up at the top of the search results. To download and install it, click on the GET button.
6. Users downloading the app for the first time will have to verify the action with the Done button. Once you do, the app will start downloading.
7. When it’s done downloading, open the CyberGhost app and wait for it to launch for the first time.
8. You’ll see some information about privacy. Read the information and click on the yellow Agree & continue button.
9. After that, you’ll land on the signup/login screen of the CyberGhost app. If you purchased a CyberGhost subscription, tap on I already have an account at the bottom to log in.
10. Enter your account’s email and password. Then, click Log in to sign in to your account.
11. If you want to sign up for the free trial, click on the yellow Subscribe now button on the login/signup screen.
12. Next, you’ll see all the information related to your subscription. Confirm by entering your password or double-pressing your phone’s power button.
13. You’ll see that your purchase will be complete.
14. Wait for CyberGhost to process your request. Next, a pop-up will show that your purchase was successful. Click on the OK button to continue.
15. Next, you’ll be asked to create your account by entering your email address and a password.
16. After filling in the details, click on the yellow Create account button to create your new CyberGhost account.
17. Click on the yellow Allow notifications button.
18. You’ll receive a pop-up notification. Click Allow.
19. Finally, you’ll land on the home screen of CyberGhost VPN, and the app will be ready to use.
Keep in mind that you’ll automatically be charged after seven days if you opted for the trial subscription. You can cancel it from the Apple App Store.
Install CyberGhost on Your Windows / Mac / Linux Computer
1. On your computer, open your favorite web browser and go to www.cyberghostvpn.com.
2. Hover your mouse over VPN Apps in the menu at the top. Select Windows VPN, Mac VPN, or Linux VPN based on the device you’re using. I’m using a Mac, so I’ll choose Mac VPN.
3. On the next screen, click on the Download VPN button and wait for the download to start.
4. Click on the Allow button to download the CyberGhost VPN app on your system. Note that if you are using another browser like Chrome, you might not get a pop-up like this.
5. Wait for the download to complete. Then, open the CyberGhost setup file.
6. A CyberGhost installation window will appear. Click on the Continue button to start the installation process.
7. Click Continue to agree to the CyberGhost license.
8. Click Agree. Note that the installation process on Windows and Linux will be slightly different than it is on macOS.
9. Next, click Install to start the installation process for CyberGhost VPN.
10. On Mac, you’ll have to enter your computer’s password. Enter it and click on the blue Install Software button.
11. Wait for the setup to install the CyberGhost files on your computer. At the end of the installation, click on the Close button.
12. Click on the blue Move to Bin button to delete the CyberGhost setup from your system. Since you’ve already used it to install the app, you may as well save the space.
13. A CyberGhost privacy notice will appear at the top right. Read it and click on the yellow Agree & continue button.
14. Next, enter your CyberGhost account email address and password.
15. Then, click on the yellow Login button to sign in.
16. Wait for CyberGhost to load. Finally, you’ll land on the home screen of the CyberGhost VPN app for desktop. The app is ready to use!
How to Use Netflix with CyberGhost
We are done with the installation and setup of CyberGhost VPN on computers and smartphones. Now I’ll show you how to use Netflix with CyberGhost.
Note that I’ll be using a Mac device and an iPhone to demonstrate using Netflix with CyberGhost. Some steps will be different on other hardware like Windows PC, Linux, Android, or Smart TVs. But they’ll still be similar.
Without further ado, let’s get started.
Use Netflix with CyberGhost on Computers
1. On your macOS system, select Launchpad. On Windows and Linux, you’ll find the shortcut for CyberGhost on your desktop.
2. Launch CyberGhost VPN.
3. On Mac, wait for the CyberGhost icon in the top tray to turn white. Once it’s white, click on the icon to bring up CyberGhost. On Windows and Linux, find the CyberGhost icon in your system tray and double-click it to open the app.
4. Click on the Best location button.
5. Scroll down and click on the Netflix US server under the Streaming category.
6. After that, click on the large power button.
7. CyberGhost will ask you to install its VPN profile on your system. Click on the yellow Install VPN profile button.
8. You may receive a system pop-up asking you to confirm the VPN addition. If you do, click Allow or the equivalent.
9. The CyberGhost VPN profile is now installed on your system. On the CyberGhost app window, click on the back arrow at the top left.
10. Select the For streaming tab in left-hand menu.
11. Enter Netflix in the search box at the top to get the list of different Netflix-optimized servers.
12. Next, select a region you want to explore on Netflix. I’m selecting the United Kingdom so that I can view the content library there.
13. After that, click on the large power button to connect to the server. Wait for a few seconds to let CyberGhost connect you to its Netflix-optimized server.
14. Once connected, open Netflix via the app or your web browser and enjoy the new library from the region you chose.
Use Netflix with CyberGhost on Smartphones
1. On your smartphone, start by launching the CyberGhost application.
2. Wait for the app to launch. Then, click on the Best location button to reveal the complete list of available servers on CyberGhost.
3. Go to the Streaming tab.
4. You’ll see the list of all the servers that are designed for Netflix and other streaming platforms. There are servers for all the popular regions, from the US to the UK. Select any region you want to watch Netflix in. I’m selecting the US server.
5. Your device will show you a pop-up asking to install the VPN profile for CyberGhost. Click on the Allow button.
6. Complete your mobile device’s security check, such as by entering your password.
7. After that, you’ll see that your device is connected to your desired server.
8. Lastly, launch the Netflix app on your device and sign in to your account. You’ll see all the new content that wasn’t previously available in your region. Feel free to explore!
Surfshark – #5 Best Netflix VPN
Surfshark is an award-winning VPN located in the British Virgin Islands. Founded in 2018, Surfshark has gained quite the popularity among the other top VPN services.
Like other VPNs, Surfshark lets you secure your digital life, from fighting internet restrictions to preventing data logging and spying. As a reliable VPN service, Surfshark lets you change your IP address and unlock various regions of Netflix, granting access to popular TV shows, movies, documentaries, and more on Netflix.
Tons of features, full-proof security, and other benefits make Surfshark one of the best VPN services you can get on a budget.
This service has an extensive network of 3,200+ servers deployed in 65 countries worldwide. You can choose to connect to any of the available servers on Surfshark to secure and boost your Netflix streaming experience. In addition, Surfshark supports Netflix streaming in 4K UHD quality on all the supported devices.
All the servers of Surfshark run on the most recent software updates, and they don’t store any data. Also, they are all 100% RAM-only servers, and they are often wiped clean by the developers of Surfshark to keep them in good shape.
As for the protocols used by the servers to provide security and protection to users, all Surfshark servers support WireGuard, IKEv2, and OpenVPN. You can connect to any server using any of these protocols.
One interesting feature is the Surfshark Bypasser. Working similarly to the split tunneling feature on ExpressVPN, Bypasser lets you allow specific apps and websites to bypass Surfshark VPN. This means you’ll be able to access, for example, your banking apps on your standard connection while streaming TV shows on Netflix in other regions.
Next, we have the strict no-log policy of Surfshark. This feature promises that you won’t be tracked. From your watching duration to the content type, your ISP and Surfshark won’t be able to monitor, track, or store any information about your activities.
Watching Netflix via Surfshark and suddenly your internet connection drops? Don’t worry! The kill switch feature on Surfshark rescues your privacy and safety by blocking all the outgoing and incoming traffic on your device until the VPN connection is restored.
Surfshark even features a camouflage mode that tricks your ISP into thinking that you aren’t using a VPN. This means you get to stay truly private from both your ISP and Netflix.
For a budget option, it may come as a surprise that Surfshark provides unlimited device connections on a single subscription, which not many VPN services do.
Last but certainly not least, Surfshark provides a NoBorders mode. This mode lets you successfully use Surfshark with Netflix and other services no matter where you are.
Next up, we have the speed department. According to Surfshark, they have at least a single 1 Gbps port available on every server. Also, new 10 Gbps ports are added every day to their broad network of servers.
Surfshark provides lightning-fast speeds no matter which server you choose to connect to. In fact, the speed of Surfshark servers has drastically improved throughout the years. For example, in North America’s nearest servers, Surfshark was able to provide an average of 317 Mbps download speed. In Asia, the servers peaked at 400 Mbps. But they lacked a bit in Europe, scoring only 253 Mbps on average.
As for Netflix streaming, Surfshark provides more than enough download speed. So you can not only watch 4K quality content on your supported devices but also download your favorite episodes in a snap.
Another reason Surfshark servers are able to provide ground-breaking speeds is unlimited bandwidth. Often, ISPs limit your bandwidth to save data, especially when you are streaming high-resolution video content on Netflix. But Surfshark comes with zero bandwidth limits. This means you get to enjoy a smooth Netflix-watching experience.
With a Trust pilot rating of 4.3 out of 5, how can you not expect Surfshark to make native apps for your most-used smart gadgets? On desktop, Surfshark has native apps for macOS, Windows, and Linux. All the apps are hand-made to provide the best possible Netflix watching experience via their special servers.
Surfshark also has extensions for popular web browsers like Google Chrome, Firefox, and Edge. This means that no matter which device you are using, if it supports a popular browser, you can download the lightweight Surfshark extension and get the full-fledged private Netflix experience.
Who said Surfshark forgot about the small screens? They have great apps for iOS and Android devices that can be downloaded from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store, respectively.
Surfshark also has official apps for Fire TV, Apple TV, Android TV, and Samsung TV. Install them, enter your account details, and connect to a server in your desired country to go full incognito and unblock your favorite shows. There are even apps for your gaming consoles! You’ll find the Surfshark app on the official stores for Xbox and PlayStation.
Lastly, you can up Surfshark on your internet router. If you do that, you don’t have to download the Surfshark app on any of your devices. Just connect to the configured router using any device and you’re all set to watch Netflix with true freedom.
When it comes to pricing, Surfshark offers some of the juiciest plans.
- 1 month: $12.95
- 1 year: $3.99 per month, then $4.98 per month (billed at $47.88 for the first year, then $59.76 yearly afterward)
- Best Value for Money: $2.30 per month, then $4.98 per month (billed at $59.76 for the first 26 months, then $59.76 yearly afterward)
As I mentioned, all plans include unlimited simultaneous device connections.
How to Get Surfshark for Netflix
Now I’ll provide the step-by-step guide to purchase a Surfshark plan via the official website. Note that Surfshark doesn’t provide a free trial with a subscription purchased via their website. However, they do provide a 30-day money-back guarantee on all of the plans purchased from the website.
If you purchase your subscription via the Apple App Store, Amazon App Store, or Google Play Store, your refund is in their hands, so it’s not guaranteed. Furthermore, paying for your subscription with a gift card or prepaid card makes you ineligible for a refund.
Interestingly, Surfshark provides a free trial on plans activated via iOS, Android, and macOS devices. In the set-up and installation section, I’ll show you how to get the free trial on a mobile device. But before that, let’s see how to get Surfshark for Netflix via the official website.
1. Visit the official Surfshark website and click the Get Surfshark button.
2. On the next screen, you’ll see the available plans. To pick a plan, select its card.
3. Next, scroll down to the Create your Account section and enter your email address. You can also choose to purchase the Surfshark addon that includes an antivirus, alert system, and search protection.
4. After that, scroll down to select a payment method. I’m selecting Credit card.
5. Enter your payment information.
6. Once you’re done entering your information, click on the red Complete purchase button.
7. Surfshark may redirect you to your banking channel to confirm the purchase. You’ll be asked to verify yourself via a code sent to your mobile or email. Select an option and click CONTINUE.
8. Wait for your bank to send you the code. Then, enter the code and click SUBMIT.
9. Once it’s done, you’ll be taken to the next page. There, follow the on-screen instructions to complete your purchase. Surfshark will email you all the details regarding your account.
Setting Up & Installing Surfshark
Now, you’re ready to set up and install Surfshark VPN on your favorite devices. In this section, I’ll show you how to install Surfshark to watch Netflix on your mobile Android and iOS devices. Then, I’ll cover how to do it on a computer.
Before I start, let me remind you that Surfshark’s money-back guarantee only applies to plans purchased via the official website.
Interestingly, however, Surfshark lets you get a free trial via the iOS, Android, and Mac apps. I’ll show you how to get the trial version of Surfshark on your iOS device during the installation. So, sit tight!
Install Surfshark for Netflix on Android
This section includes the installation and setup of the Surfshark app on Android.
You should be able to install the Surfshark app via the Google Play Store just like you install any other app on your Android. Doing so enables you to create an account and activate the free trial from your phone.
However, I’ll show the alternate method of sideloading the Surfshark APK because, for some weird reason, the Surfshark app is unavailable on the Google Play Store in various regions. If you can’t find Surfshark in the Google Play Store, follow these steps to install the official APK file for Surfshark. Keep in mind that if you’re getting the APK instead of downloading the app from the Google Play Store, you should sign up for a Surfshark account via the Surfshark website.
1. Open Google Chrome or your favorite web browser.
2. Select the search bar and go to the Surfshark website, www.surfshark.com.
3. On the Surfshark home screen, tap the three-line button in the top-right corner.
4. Next, tap the VPN tab to reveal the drop-down menu.
5. Tap on Applications.
6. On the next page, scroll down and select Android.
7. Next, tap the Download .APK button.
8. Your device may warn you that the file could be harmful. It’s not! So tap Download anyway to continue.
9. Once the file is downloaded, your browser will prompt you about it. Tap on the Open button.
10. Your phone will prepare the APK file for installation. Tap on the INSTALL button to start the process.
11. Wait for your phone to install the app. Once it’s done, tap on the OPEN button.
12. Wait for a few seconds to let Surfshark launch. Then tap on EXISTING USER? LOG IN at the very bottom.
13. Enter your Surfshark account’s Email and Password.
14. After entering your account details, click on the blue LOG IN button.
15. Once Surfshark loads your information, you’ll land on the home screen of Surfshark VPN, and it’ll be ready to use!
Install Surfshark for Netflix on iOS (With Free Trial)
1. Unlock your iOS device and launch the App Store.
2. Next, tap on the Search tab in the bottom-right corner.
3. Then, tap the Search input box at the top.
4. Enter Surfshark and tap on the search button.
5. Surfshark will appear at the top of the search results. Tap on the GET button to start the downloading process. (Note that I’m seeing a cloud icon because I have installed the app in the past using my Apple ID.)
6. Wait for the download and installation to complete. Once it’s done, tap on the Surfshark icon to launch the app.
7. You’ll land on the signup/login page of the Surfshark app. To purchase a subscription with a free trial, tap on the blue Create account button.
8. Enter your email address and set a password. Then, tap on the blue Create account button and wait a moment for Surfshark to create your new account.
9. A subscription window will pop up asking you to choose a plan. By default, the plan with a free trial will be selected. Tap on the blue Subscribe button to continue the process.
10. Double-press the power button to confirm the purchase.
Wait for Surfshark to process your request, then you’ll be good to go with the Surfshark trial on your iOS!
Install Surfshark on Your Windows / Mac / Linux Computer
1. To install Surfshark on your computer, go to the official Surfshark website at www.surfshark.com.
2. Then, click on the VPN tab near the top-left corner.
3. Choose your operating system: Windows, Mac, or Linux. I’m using a Mac, so I’ll select macOS.
4. You’ll be redirected to the respective app page. Click on the Download app button.
5. A pop-up may appear depending on the browser you’re using. Click on the Allow button to let your browser start the downloading process.
6. Wait for the app to download on your system, then open it.
7. Drag and drop the Surfshark icon into your Applications folder. Then, wait for your system to copy and install the files of the app.
Note: The installation process on Linux and Windows is different than on macOS. Make sure to follow whatever on-screen instructions you receive.
8. To open the Surfshark app on Mac, click Launchpad.
9. After that, click on the Surfshark icon to open the app. Then, wait for your system to verify the app.
10. You’ll receive a prompt to confirm the launch of the app. To continue, click Open or whatever confirmation button your system shows.
11. The Surfshark app will open with a privacy notification. Read it and click on the Agree & Continue button.
12. Next, enter the details for your Surfshark account and click on the blue Log In button. Wait for a few seconds to let the app load your credentials.
13. After that, you’ll land on the home screen of the Surfshark app, and you’ll be good to go.
How to Use Netflix with Surfshark
Now, I’ll show how you can use Netflix with Surfshark to explore various locked Netflix libraries. On the PC side of things, I’ll be using a Mac to demonstrate the process. And on the smartphone, I’ll be using an iPhone. But don’t worry, as the steps are mostly similar in all supported hardware and software.
Use Surfshark with Netflix on Computers
1. To use Netflix with Surfshark, start by opening the app on your system.
2. Click on the Search box and type in the region of Netflix you want to unlock. I want to access Netflix US, so I’ll type united states and then select a server in the US.
3. On the first request, your Mac will block the Surfshark extension. Click on the OK button.
Note: Windows and Linux may require you to give certain permissions to Surfshark as well. Follow the on-screen instructions to do so.
4. On the Security & Privacy window, click on the lock button.
5. Next, enter your password and click on Unlock.
6. Click on Allow to let the system load the Surfshark app.
7. Finally, click on the blue Connect button.
8. Wait for the app to connect you to the server. Then, open Netflix on your computer and enjoy the titles available in the new region.
Use Surfshark with Netflix on Smartphones
1. On your smartphone, open the Surfshark app.
2. Then, click on the Locations tab.
3. Now, search for the region whose Netflix library you want to explore and choose a server in that region.
4. After that, click on the blue Quick connect button.
5. Lastly, open the Netflix app, and you’ll be welcomed by new content in the region you selected on Surfshark.
I have been getting some questions about watching Netflix with a VPN, so let me answer them here.
How to Watch Netflix USA in India
This is the most popular question I have been receiving lately. We all know that Netflix USA is the most popular choice all over the world. So for users who are in India and wondering how they can watch Netflix USA, it’s simple: Use a VPN as described in this article. I have been using ExpressVPN for years, and it works great. It hardly reduces my internet speed, which is important for streaming Netflix without buffering.
How to Unblock Netflix
The answer to this question is the same as the above question. No matter where you live, if you want to stream Netflix USA or want to unblock any other country’s Netflix library, the only way is a trustworthy VPN like ExpressVPN.
My Netflix VPN Is Not Working
This is another popular problem for VPN users. Well, if you are using a free VPN, there is hardly any chance that you will be able to stream anything with Netflix. Most of the servers of free VPN providers are already detected and blocked by Netflix. If you are using a paid VPN, it’s possible that the server you are connected to has some issues or has been blocked. In this case, just switch to a server in another city and you should be fine. You can also contact your VPN’s support to ask which server is working with Netflix. ExpressVPN works smoothly with Netflix, so I suggest that you give it a try and see how it works for you. It comes with a 30-day money back guarantee, so you’ve got nothing to lose. You can ask for a full refund if you don’t like the service.
Do Free VPNs Work with Netflix?
If you are looking for a free VPN that works with Netflix, you are not alone. I did a lot of research and tried more than 20 free VPN providers to stream Netflix. The outcome was that none of the free VPNs worked with Netflix. Each time, I encountered Netflix errors saying that a proxy was detected. Moreover, free VPNs are not as good as you expect them to be. You should read how free VPNs make money and you will never want to use them again.
What Is the Best VPN for Netflix?
In my experience, ExpressVPN is the best VPN for Netflix. It has more servers that can unblock Netflix than any other VPN. It is also the fastest and hence the most streaming-friendly VPN.
Why Do I Need a Netflix VPN?
You need a VPN to unblock Netflix’s geo-restricted content. You can watch just about any regional and geo-restricted content from anywhere in the world with the help of a VPN.
How to Unsubscribe From a VPN on Google Play Store (Android)
- Open the Google Play Store and click on your profile picture in the top-right corner.
- Then, click Payments & subscriptions and open Subscriptions.
- Select the name of the VPN service you started a trial with.
- Then, click Cancel subscription. Select a reason and click Continue.
- Last, click on the green Cancel subscription button.
How to Unsubscribe From a VPN on Apple App Store
Here’s how to unsubscribe from your VPN free trial on the Apple App Store (iOS devices) within 7 days to avoid getting charged:
- Open the App Store and click on your profile picture in the top-right corner.
- Then, click on Subscriptions.
- Select the name of the VPN service you started a trial with.
- Last, click on the Cancel Subscription button and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
Conclusion on Best Netflix VPN
Netflix bans VPN servers regularly. This is why most VPN services are not able to bypass the geo-restrictions put in place by this entertainment service. If Netflix is not working with your VPN and you see a proxy error, it means that the server you’re connected to has been detected and blocked.
However, the VPN services we have talked about in this article manage to give you access to region-specific content despite that Netflix tries to block their servers. These VPN services stay a step ahead of Netflix by continually introducing new servers and new virtual IP locations. If you are still confused about which VPN you should buy out of the options we discussed, my vote is for ExpressVPN, the VPN I personally use and trust the most.
I hope you found this article useful. Please feel free to drop your suggestions and feedback in the comments section below.
Disclosure - FireStickTricks.com is reader-supported blog. When you buy a product through links on our site, we may earn commission. Learn More