In this guide, I will show you how to get subtitles on Kodi 18, Kodi 19, or any other older versions of Kodi using the OpenSubtitles.org and Subscene.com subtitle services. The methods I have described here work for Kodi on FireStick, Windows PC, Mac, Nvidia Shield, Android, and all other Kodi-supported devices.
Kodi subtitles become essential sometimes, especially when the audio quality isn’t great or when I must keep the volume low to avoid causing disturbance to the others around. At night, I bring down the volume to the barely-audible level and cannot do without the subtitles. Of course, when I am watching a video in a foreign language, I need my subtitles.
Well, these are my reasons to add subtitles to Kodi and since you are reading this guide, I am assuming you have your own. This is precisely why I have put together this walkthrough to show you how to get subtitles on Kodi. Keep reading!
Important: Some addons require subtitles to be enabled within addon settings for the subtitles to work. If the subtitles don’t work for you, make sure you enable it within the addon. I have provided the steps later in this guide.
How to Get Kodi Subtitles Using OpenSubtitles
OpenSubtitles is probably the best subtitles service for Kodi. This service has subtitles in a wide range of languages and for nearly all the movies and TV shows that have been released so far.
If you are looking for Kodi subtitles, OpenSubtitles will always be my first recommendation. And, while exploring the subtitles on Kodi, you will see for yourself that OpenSubtitles has the best ones.
So, without much ado, let’s learn how to get subtitles on Kodi from OpenSubtitles.org.
Attention, Kodi Users!
Kodi Addons and builds offer unlimited streaming content, but could also get you into legal trouble if caught streaming free movies, TV shows, or sports. Currently, your IP is visible to everyone. Kodi users are strongly advised to always connect to a VPN while streaming online. A good Kodi VPN hides your identity, bypasses government surveillance, geo-blocked content, and ISP throttling (which also helps in buffer-free streaming).
I personally use ExpressVPN, which is the fastest and most secure VPN. It is very easy to install on any device including Amazon FireStick. You get 3 months free and save 49% on its annual plans. Also, it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee. If you are not satisfied, you can always ask for a refund.
1. The first thing you want to do is register for an account at OpenSubtitles.org. Unfortunately, the subtitles for Kodi from OpenSubtitles cannot be used without registering. Go to https://www.opensubtitles.org and click the Register link at the top of the page.
Follow the on-screen instructions to register and to create a username and password
2. Now launch Kodi and select Add-ons on the left panel on the home screen.
3. Open the Package Installer option on the top-left of the screen. It looks like an open box.
4. Click Install from repository on the next screen.
5. Click Kodi Add-on repository when you see the list of the repositories. This is the official Kodi repository that comes pre-installed with Kodi.
Please note that if you haven’t installed at least one repository other than the Kodi Add-on repository, you will not see the list of the repositories above. Instead, after clicking Install from repository in step 4, you will be taken directly to the screen that I have added to step 6 below.
6. Click Subtitles when you see this window.
7. Now click OpenSubtitles.org from the list.
8. Click Install button that you see on the bottom-right of the next screen.
9. Now wait for the Opensubtitles.org add-on installed notification (seen below in the top-right corner of the screen).
10. Now click OpenSubtitles.org one more time and then click the Configure button on the next window.
11. You will now see the following dialogue box. Click Username and enter the username you created for Kodi subtitles at OpenSubtitles.org in Step 1
Click Password and enter your OpenSubtitles account password. Click OK once done.
12. Return to Kodi home-screen and click Settings (the gear icon).
13. Open Player.
14. On the bottom left, where you see the gear icon, make sure Standard (or anything other than Basic) is selected. Now select the Language option on the left panel of the next window.
15. On the right, click Languages to download subtitles for in Download Services to choose your preferred language for subtitles for Kodi. For most of us, the default language will be English.
16. Next, click Default TV show service to set up Kodi subtitles for TV shows.
17. Select OpenSubtitles.org and click it. As you can see, I have already downloaded OpenSubtitles.org. Therefore, it appears on the list.
18. Now click Default movie service and repeat Step 17.
19. This is how the screen will look like once you install and set up OpenSubtitles on Kodi.
Well, this is pretty much you need to do to add Kodi subtitles. Now, go ahead and play the TV show or movie of your choice and click the subtitles icon on the bottom right. OpenSubtitles will lookup for the subtitles for the title you are playing.
Before you start streaming with Kodi Addons or Builds, I would like to warn you that everything you stream on Kodi is visible to your ISP and Government. This means, streaming copyrighted content (free movies, TV shows, live TV, and Sports) might get you into legal trouble.
Thankfully, there is a foolproof way to keep all your streaming activities hidden from your ISP and the Government. All you need is a good VPN for Kodi. A VPN will mask your original IP which is and will help you bypass Online Surveillance, ISP throttling, and content geo-restrictions.
I personally use and recommend ExpressVPN, which is the fastest and most secure VPN. It is compatible with all kinds of streaming apps and devices.
NOTE: We do not encourage the violation of copyright laws. But, what if you end up streaming content from an illegitimate source unintentionally? It is not always easy to tell the difference between a legit and illegal source.
So, before you start streaming on Kodi, here's how to get VPN protection in 3 simple steps.
Step 1: Get the ExpressVPN subscription HERE. It comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee. Meaning, you can use it free for the first 30-days and if you are not satisfied with the performance (which is highly unlikely), you can ask for a full refund.
Step 2: Click HERE to download and install the ExpressVPN app on your streaming device. If you are using a FireStick, I have given the exact steps starting with Step 4 below.
Step 3: Click the Power icon to connect to a VPN server. That's all. Your connection is now secure with the fastest and best VPN for Kodi.
The following are the steps to install Kodi VPN on your Fire TV devices. If you have other streaming devices, follow Step 1-3 above.
Step 4: Subscribe to ExpressVPN HERE (if not subscribed already).
Step 5: Go to Fire TV Stick home screen. Click Find followed by Search option (see image below).
Step 6: Type Expressvpn in the search bar and select when it shows up.
Step 7: Click Download.
Step 8: Open the ExpressVPN app and Sign in using the email ID and password that you created while buying the ExpressVPN subscription.
Step 9: Click the Power icon to connect to a VPN server. That’s all. Your FireStick is now secured with the fastest VPN.
Subtitles Not Working? Enable Subtitles in the Addon Settings
Some addons must have subtitles enabled for the subtitles to work. You can do that from within the addon settings. I am using Exodus Redux addon in this example. However, the steps work much the same for other addons.
Here are the steps:
1. Go to Add-ons > Video add-ons from the Kodi home screen and open Exodus Redux addon.
2. Scroll down on the main screen of Exodus Redux and click Tools.
3. On the next window, click SETTINGS: Subtitles
4. Make sure the Subtitles option in the left menu is still selected. On the right, switch on the option Enable Subtitles.
5. Click OK to save the changes.
How to Get Subtitles on Kodi Without Registration
I have no second thoughts about the fact that OpenSubtitles is the best Kodi subtitles service. But, it is also true that it takes a little doing to set it up on Kodi. If you want to install subtitles on Kodi rather quickly, I have another option for you – Subscene Kodi subtitle service.
Subscene may not have as many subtitles for Kodi as OpenSubtitles but it can do the job fairly well for the most part. And, you can set it up directly from within Kodi without having to register an account.
Let me show you how to add subtitles to Kodi using the Subscene.com service in quick and easy steps
1. Go back to the Kodi home-screen and click Settings on the top-right (just under the Kodi logo).
2. Now, click Player from the list of the options.
3. Now, select the Language option on the left panel. Under Download Services on the right, click Languages to download subtitles for to change/select your desired subtitle language. English is the default language, so if English is the language you want, you can leave this option alone.
4. Now click Default TV show service.
5. Click the Get more button and download the Subscene.com subtitle service for Kodi.
6. Now click Subscene.com to make it your default Kodi subtitles service.
7. Now click Default movie service and select Subscene.com again to make it the default.
You have now successfully set up Subscene.com and it will fetch you the available subtitles for Kodi for the specific title you are playing.
Note: Selecting Subscene.com as your default subtitle service for Kodi does not mean you cannot use OpenSubtitles anymore. While looking up for the subtitle when the title is playing, you can always choose OpenSubtitles or any other subtitle service you may have installed.
Kodi experience sometimes becomes more enjoyable with the subtitles. OpenSubtitles and Subscene are the two best subtitles for Kodi. Subscene is a quicker way to get the subtitles on Kodi. However, on occasions, you will notice that Subscene subtitles are out of sync with the video. That seems like a setback but it doesn’t have to be. While playing the video you can always offset the subtitle by delaying or advancing it to bring it in sync. Offsetting usually works. But, when it doesn’t, you can always go with OpenSubtitles. I have barely experienced any syncing issues with it.
So, this is how we set up Kodi subtitles using the top two subtitle services. If you have any questions, feedback or suggestions, feel free to fill us in through the comments section below.
- How to install Kodi on FireStick
- Best Working Kodi Addons
- Best Kodi Builds
- How to Update Kodi on FireStick
- How to Stop Buffering on Kodi
Disclosure - FireStickTricks.com is reader-supported blog. When you buy a product through links on our site, we may earn commission. Learn More