In this post, you will learn how to Install Downloader and how to sideload apps on FireStick. The instructions provided in this guide apply to all Fire TV OS devices, including FireStick 4K, 4K Max, FireStick Lite, Fire TVs, All New FireStick 4K, All New FireStick 4K Max, and more.
We start with a quick introduction to the app, followed by the steps to install it and then how to sideload apps. In the end, we also learn how to install the app on the FireStick devices on which Downloader is unavailable on the Amazon Store. Keep reading!
What Is Downloader App for FireStick?
Downloader is arguably one of the best sideloading applications for Fire TVs and FireSticks. It helps you install unofficial/third-party apps not hosted by the Amazon App Store.
Downloader works via side loading. Therefore, all you need is the URL of the app, and you can install it without hassle. Enter the link in the search field and press Install when the file results appear.
Moreover, Downloader also comes with a built-in web browser. You can use the browser to download files or surf the internet. The app also features a simple and user-friendly layout. So, you won’t regret getting Downloader to sideload some fantastic apps.
Attention, FireStick Users!
Governments and ISPs constantly monitor your online activity, and accessing copyrighted content on your Fire TV Stick could lead to serious trouble. Currently, your IP is visible to everyone. I strongly recommend getting the best FireStick VPN to mask your IP address and securely stream your favorites.
I personally use ExpressVPN, the fastest and most secure VPN available. Not only is it easy to install on any device, it comes with a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee. Plus, if you're not 100% satisfied, you can always get a refund. ExpressVPN is currently also offering a whopping 3 extra months free on their annual plan!
Features of Downloader
Downloader is a fantastic app, especially for sideloading unofficial applications. Some prominent features of Downloader include:
- Offers a built-in web browser
- Downloads various apps/ files by entering their URL
- Works flawlessly with the Fire TV remote or a game controller. You aren’t required to attach a keyboard/ mouse.
- It’s a lightweight, easy to use and free application
- Offers an ad-free browsing experience
Also Read: How to Jailbreak FireStick
How to Install Downloader App on FireStick
The Downloader app is officially available on the Amazon Store. You don’t have to sideload it onto your device. Here is how you can install the app:
1. Go to the Fire TV / Stick home screen if you are not already there. Use your remote to navigate to Find > Search on the menu bar in the middle of the screen.
2. Now type in Downloader (without the quotes) using the onscreen keypad. You should see the app suggestions on the list as you begin typing. When you see Downloader on the list, select and click it.
3. You should now see Downloader under the APPS & GAMES section. Go ahead and click it.
4. Click the ‘Get‘ or ‘Download‘ button to download and install the app. You should have the app in no more than a couple of minutes.
Once the app is installed, you can access it from the Your Apps & Channels section (more on it later).
How to Prepare FireStick to Use Downloader and Sideload Apps
The default setting of FireStick doesn’t allow you to install third-party apps as a security measure. Therefore, you won’t be able to sideload applications using Downloader until you make a few tweaks.
To install APKs via Downloader, you’ll need to allow FireStick to install apps from unknown or third-party sources. Please follow these steps:
1. Launch your FireStick home screen and navigate to the Settings icon.
2. Scroll down to the My Fire TV tile and click on it.
3. Click on Developer Options.
Note: If you don’t see Developer Options, follow our guide on How to Get Developer Options back on FireStick.
4. Select Install unknown apps.
Note: Some versions of FireStick may have the option Apps from Unknown Sources instead of Install Unknown Apps. Select Apps from Unknown Sources, turn it ON, and skip step 5 below in that scenario.
5. Navigate to Downloader and select it to turn it ON.
Your FireStick is now prepared to install various third-party apps using Downloader.
How to Download Apps on FireStick Using Downloader App
Now that you have prepared your FireStick, I will show you how to sideload apps on your Fire TV or FireStick within minutes. But before that, here are a couple of extras to make your life easier.
How to Access Downloader?
You can always move the app and create a home screen shortcut if you do not find the Downloader on the home screen. To access Downloader from Your Apps & Channels (which is a list of the installed apps on FireStick), follow these steps:
1. Select the app icon on the home screen in the menu bar in the middle (the icon on the right with 3 squares and a + sign). You may also click the similar button if you have one on your remote.
2. Scroll down and click Downloader.
Getting Started with Downloader
Please follow these steps:
1. When you open the app for the first time, click Allow to grant permission.
2. Click OK on this Quick Start Guide prompt.
Also Check: Best VPN for FireStick
Using Downloader to Sideload Apps on FireStick
Finally, we get to the point where we see how the Downloader app helps download APKs and sideload the apps on the Fire TV Stick. Again, it is straightforward.
First, we learned to download the files from the direct URL. Then, we know how to download a file from a website.
Method 1: Download/Install APKs on FireStick with Direct URL
Let us first use the Home section, which lets us directly download the files using the URLs pointing at those files.
1. Click Home on the left sidebar. On the right, click inside the input/text box.
2. Enter the file URL and press Go on the onscreen keyboard.
Note: FireStickTricks.com does not host this URL. It redirects you to an external location.
3. The download will automatically start. Once the downloads, click Install on the bottom right.
4. Once the app is installed, you will see a notification confirming the status. You will also see two buttons on the bottom – Done & Open.
Choose Done if you want to open the installed app later. Click Open to start using the app right away.
5. When you click Done, you will see a pop-up on the Downloader interface. Press the Delete button to remove the APK file from your storage. You don’t need it any longer.
Method 2: Download Files/Install APKs from Websites
You may not have the direct link to the file you wish to download. That’s not a problem. The Downloader app has a built-in browser allowing you to visit the websites and download from the links on the web pages.
1. Select the Browser option on the left menu on the Downloader interface. Now, highlight the address bar and type in the destination URL where you wish to download the file. Click GO.
2. Use the remote up/down keys to scroll the page and go to the Download link. Click the Download link. The file will start to download.
3. Click Install.
4. When the App Installed notification appears, you can hit Done to go back to Downloader or click Install to install the app you downloaded.
That’s how you install APKs using the Downloader app.
Highly recommended for FireStick👇
How to Stay Anonymous on FireStick
Before you start, I would like to warn you that everything you do online is visible to your ISP and Government. This means playing free games, streaming free movies, TV shows, and Sports might get you into legal trouble.
Thankfully, there is a foolproof way to keep all your activities hidden from your ISP and the Government. All you need is a good VPN for Fire Stick. A VPN will mask your original IP, which is and will help you bypass Online Surveillance, ISP throttling, and content geo-restrictions.
I personally use and recommend ExpressVPN, which is the fastest and most secure VPN. It is compatible with all kinds of apps and is very easy to install on Fire TV / Stick.
We do not encourage the violation of copyright laws. But what if you end up using apps from an illegitimate source unintentionally? It is not always easy to tell the difference between a legit and illegal source.
So, before you start using apps on your Fire Stick / Fire TV, let’s see how to use ExpressVPN to keep your activities hidden from prying eyes.
Step 1: Subscribe to ExpressVPN HERE. It comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee. Meaning, you can use it free for the first 30-days, and if you are not satisfied with the performance (which is highly unlikely), you can ask for a full refund.
Step 2: Power ON your Fire TV Stick and go to Find, followed by the Search option.
Step 3: Now type “Expressvpn” (without quotes) in the search bar and select ExpressVPN when it shows up in the search results.
Step 4: Click Download to install the ExpressVPN app on Fire TV / Stick.
Step 5: Open the app and enter the login credentials that you created while buying the ExpressVPN subscription. Click Sign in.
Step 6: Click the Power icon to connect to a VPN server. That’s all. Your connection is now secure with the fastest and best VPN for FireStick.
You can also read more detailed info on using ExpressVPN with Fire TV / Stick.
Can’t Find Downloader App on FireStick App Store?
Fortunately, for the most part, you can easily find the Downloader app via the Amazon App Store. However, that’s not always the case.
The application is unavailable in the App Store in particular regions. So, if you can’t find the Downloader app on the FireStick App Store, you must do two things:
- Deregister your existing Amazon account
- Use a new Amazon.com ID to sign in
Deregister Your Amazon Account and Register with a New One
Again, if the Downloader is unavailable in the FireStick App Store, you must create a new universal Amazon.com account to access the app. Next, if you are about to create a new account on Amazon, don’t forget to:
- Choose a different email address
- Select the USA as your region.
Although this process will help you get the Downloader app, things aren’t as straightforward. Registering your account means losing access to your downloaded applications, files, data, and history.
It can be a hassle for old FireStick users operating the same Amazon account for a while. So, in the end, the choice is yours to make.
Please follow these instructions to register/deregister an Amazon ID:
1. Access the Fire TV home menu and select the Cog icon to load the Settings menu.
2. Next, access Account & Profiles. You will get one of the following two options:
- A Register button will appear if you haven’t signed in. Press it and enter your Amazon.com account credentials.
- You will view a list of registered devices for the account if you’ve already registered. Select the relevant account and press Deregister. Immediately, you will be signed out from the account. You can then follow the instructions in step ‘a’ to register with a new Amazon.com account.
Read Also: How to Install Cinema APK on FireStick
This post demonstrated how to sideload apps on FireStick with Downloader. The Amazon Store hosts only a limited selection of apps. Therefore, it’s imperative to have a workaround for getting unofficial apps on your streaming devices. Downloader is a popular and safe option if you love experimenting and using new applications.
- Best Downloader Codes
- How to Uninstall & Delete Apps from FireStick
- How to stop buffering on FireStick
- How to Install ExpressVPN on FireStick
Suberboost Your FireStick with My Free Guide
Stay Ahead: Weekly Insights on the Latest in Free Streaming!
No spam, ever. Unsubscribe anytime.
Disclosure - FireStickTricks.com is reader-supported blog. When you buy a product through links on our site, we may earn commission. Learn More