In this tutorial, I will show you how to block ads on FireStick with Blokada. The instructions provided in this guide can be used on FireStick, FireStick 4K, New FireStick 4K, New FireStick 4K Max, Fire TV Cube, and even certain older Fire TV devices.
Blokada is a free third-party utility application that blocks pop-ups, ads, and even malware and trackers. It works on most Android devices as well as TV devices like FireStick and Android TV.
Many third-party apps rely on advertisements for revenue. While occasional ads are acceptable, some apps overdo it with frequent pop-ups. This affects the overall viewing experience.
In fact, certain ads/pop-ups could be malicious too. They may contain malware and trackers. With Blokada, you can get rid of ads appearing on the apps. This secures your device and makes sure you enjoy interruption-free streaming. Blokada also works great with ExpressVPN.
What is Blokada?
Blokada is open-source, ad-blocking software designed for Android devices and Android-based TV devices.
Since it is an open-source program, it has received contributions from the top developers of the world. Also, the open-source program means its source code is visible to anyone who wants to take a look. Therefore, its algorithms are always available for scrutiny and you can be sure that it is one hundred percent safe. Blokada is free and you can download the app from its website Blokada.org.
Features of Blokada
Here are some of the features of this Firestick adblocker:
- Blokada is an open-source program maintained by an active community
- It is completely safe
- Blokada is free to download and use with no in-app purchases
- Blokada is compatible with almost all Fire TV devices as well as Android TV devices
- It not only blocks ads but also prevents your device from trackers and malware
- It is very easy to use.
Attention, FireStick Users!
Governments and ISPs constantly monitor your online activity, and accessing copyrighted content on your Fire TV Stick could lead to serious trouble. Currently, your IP is visible to everyone. I strongly recommend getting the best FireStick VPN to mask your IP address and securely stream your favorites.
I personally use ExpressVPN, the fastest and most secure VPN available. Not only is it easy to install on any device, it comes with a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee. Plus, if you're not 100% satisfied, you can always get a refund. ExpressVPN is currently also offering a whopping 3 extra months free on their annual plan!
How to Install Blokada on FireStick
The apps that are not available on Amazon Store are sideloaded onto FireStick and are called third-party apps. We are going to sideload Blokada. Follow the steps provided below:
1. Get to the FireStick home screen and open Find > Search.
2. We are going to install the Downloader app from the Amazon Store. Downloader will be used to sideload Blokada on FireStick. If you already have the Downloader app, skip to the next step.
Type Downloader and click it in the search results. Follow the instructions on the upcoming windows to install the Downloader app.
3. Go to the home screen of your FireStick again and click Settings.
4. Click and open My Fire TV.
5. Here, you see the item Developer Options. Go ahead and click it.
6. Choose Install Unknown Apps.
7. Click Downloader and turn it ON. You have set up your FireStick to install Blokada and other third-party apps.
8. Open the Downloader app after installing it. Initially, you will encounter some popups. Get rid of them. When this window is displayed, click the URL section as highlighted in the image below.
9. Type the following URL or path: blokada.org.
10. You are now redirected to the Browser section of the Downloader app where the Blokada website will load up. Scroll down and click the Download button.
11. On the following webpage, make sure the Android tab is selected.
12. Scroll down a bit to Download the full-featured Blokada 4.
13. You should now see the Downloader app connecting to the server and downloading the Blokada APK on FireStick. This takes a few seconds. We will wait!
14. When the download has finished, this popup appears automatically. Click the Install option on this popup.
15. Blokada app is now installing. This takes a few seconds too. Let’s wait again!
16. When the installation is finished, the following App installed notification is displayed. Clicking the OPEN button will launch the app. However, let’s click DONE for now and delete the APK we just downloaded. It will clean up some space on the FireStick storage. We will access and use the app in the next section.
17. Click Delete when this prompt appears.
18. Click Delete again
Great! You have successfully installed Blokada on FireStick.
Your FireStick / Fire TV is now all ready to stream your favorite content. However, before you start, I would like to warn you that everything you stream online is visible to your ISP and Government. This means, streaming free movies, TV shows, Sports might get you into legal trouble.
Thankfully, there is a foolproof way to keep all your streaming activities hidden from your ISP and the Government. All you need is a good VPN for Fire Stick. A VPN will mask your original IP which is and will help you bypass Online Surveillance, ISP throttling, and content geo-restrictions.
I personally use and recommend ExpressVPN, which is the fastest and most secure VPN. It is compatible with all kinds of streaming apps and is very easy to install on Fire TV / Stick.
We do not encourage the violation of copyright laws. But, what if you end up streaming content from an illegitimate source unintentionally? It is not always easy to tell the difference between a legit and illegal source.
So, before you start streaming on your Fire Stick / Fire TV, let’s see how to use ExpressVPN to keep your streaming activities hidden from prying eyes.
Step 1: Subscribe to ExpressVPN HERE. It comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee. Meaning, you can use it free for the first 30-days and if you are not satisfied with the performance (which is highly unlikely), you can ask for a full refund.
Step 2: Power ON your Fire TV Stick and go to Find followed by Search option.
Step 3: Now type “Expressvpn” (without quotes) in the search bar and select ExpressVPN when it shows up in the search results.
Step 4: Click Download to install the ExpressVPN app on Fire TV / Stick.
Step 5: Open the app and enter the login credentials that you created while buying the ExpressVPN subscription. Click Sign in.
Step 6: Click the Power icon to connect to a VPN server. That’s all. Your connection is now secure with the fastest and best VPN for FireStick.
You can also read more detailed info on using ExpressVPN with Fire TV / Stick.
How to block Ads on FireStick with Blokada
In this section, we will take a look at the following:
- How to access Blokada on FireStick
- How to use Blokada to stop ads on FireStick
- Explore Ad Settings on Blokada
How to access Blokada on FireStick
If you have been using FireStick for some time, you might know how to access Blokada or any other app on FireStick. You may skip to the next section. However, a lot of new FireStick users experience difficulty finding the newly installed apps. Therefore, I am adding this additional piece. Here is how you access Blokada on Amazon FireStick and Fire TV:
Hold down the Home button on your FireStick remote and click Apps
This is the list of all the apps installed on your device. Go to the bottom of this list (last row). Click Blokada to open it
If you would like to place Blokada on the home screen of FireStick, press the menu button on the FireStick remote (button with 3 lines). Click Move on the popup that is displayed in the bottom-right corner of the screen. Drag the app onto the first row.
How to use Blokada to stop ads on FireStick
Follow the steps below to block advertisements on FireStick with Blokada:
1. Launch the Blokada app. This is the main screen of the interface.
As you can see on the right, it says, Ad blocking is deactivated
2. Select and click the power button on this window to enable ad-blocking.
3. When you turn Blokada for the first time, this prompt will appear. Go ahead and click OK to allow the connection.
4. This is how the Blokada main interface will look once Ad blocking is activated or turned on.
5. As you can see in the image above, it says 0 blocked. Blokada hasn’t blocked anything yet because we haven’t run any app with ads. Usually, it is the third-party apps with most pop-ups/ads. Cinema HD, TeaTV, Titanium TV are some of the apps with advertisements. Start using one of the apps you have ad-issues with. You will notice that the ads have been removed
6. After using the apps with ads for a while, return to the Blokada app. It will display the number of advertisements that have been blocked. For me, it blocked 104 ads.
That’s pretty much how you do it!
Explore Ad Settings on Blokada
For most users, the default settings are good enough to block ads/popups on most of the popular apps. However, in the Ad Settings, you can choose to unblock any specific websites Blokada blocked by mistake. Also, you can unblock any website Blokada missed.
1. Navigate to the bottom of the main interface of the Blokada app and click the 3-line option.
2. Click the option Ad blocking on the next screen.
Note: Blokada may skip to another screen here. You may need to press the back button once to get to this section
3. To view the list of the Blocked and Allowed requests, click the option Host Log.
4. You will find the list on the next screen. As you can see, Blokada has blocked many requests and has also allowed some.
5. Press the back button once to return to the previous screen. Scroll down and click Allowed Hosts to allow specific domains or websites. These requests will not be blocked by Blokada. If you want to block certain websites that Blokada missed, click Blocked Hosts.
6. The last option Ad Blocking Settings is for advanced users. Most of us wouldn’t have to change or configure any settings. Therefore, let’s leave it be.Though you won’t be bothered by malicious ads anymore, your online activities are still visible to your ISP, Government, and hackers. While hackers mainly target your devices to steal your personal information, your ISP and Government may go behind your streaming activities. If you are using free movie apps, I strongly suggest you connect a VPN on your Firestick and stay safe.
Here’s how to install and use a VPN on Amazon Firestick / Fire TV
Also, check out the 10 reasons why you should always use a VPN
So, this is how you block ads on FireStick with the Blokada application. Many third-party apps pop up or display ads quite frequently. This could get irritating. With Blokada, you can easily get rid of all such apps.
If you have any questions or something interesting to share, please feel free to let us know via the comments section below.
- Roku vs FireStick
- Best Firestick tips and tricks for cord-cutters
- How to fix buffering on Firestick
- How to jailbreak a Firestick
- Best Movie APKs
Disclosure - FireStickTricks.com is reader-supported blog. When you buy a product through links on our site, we may earn commission. Learn More