In this tutorial, I will show you how to test the internet speed on FireStick. The methods used in this guide also work on Amazon Fire Stick 4K, Fire TV Cube, and other Fire TV devices. Also, the same method works for both Wired and Wi-Fi internet connection.
If you are experiencing buffering on FireStick, the internet connection speed is one of the first things you would want to check. A slow Wi-Fi connection causes streaming issues.
Thankfully, there are some easy ways to check your connection speed on FireStick / Fire TV Cube. That’s what we are going to talk about in this guide.
Note: You don’t require a 100 Mbps connection speed for smooth streaming on Firestick. Even if you stream in 4K UHD, 20 Mbps is a good enough speed.
Attention FireStick Users: Read before you continue
Governments and ISPs across the world monitor their users' online activities. If found streaming copyrighted content on your Fire TV Stick, you could get into serious trouble. Currently, your IP is visible to everyone. I strongly recommend you to get a good FireStick VPN and hide your identity so that your movie viewing experience doesn’t take a bad turn.
I use ExpressVPN which is the fastest and most secure VPN in the industry. It is very easy to install on any device including Amazon Fire TV Stick. Also, it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee. If you don't like their service, you can always ask for a refund. ExpressVPN also has a special deal where you can get 3 months free and save 49% on annual plan.
How to check internet speed on FireStick
You can check the internet speed on FireStick / Fire TV Cube using one of the following two methods:
- By using the speed test app called Internet Speed Test
- By using a speed test app called Analiti
- By using a browser on FireStick
Both of these methods deliver the same results and should not take more than a minute to find out the results. I personally feel that the browser method is easier.
1. Test Internet Speed with the Internet Speed Test App
Internet Speed Test app for FireStick is one of the most reliable options to check the internet speed. This app is available via the Amazon Store.
Here are the steps:
1. From the home window of FireStick, select the option Search in the top-left corner
2. Type in the keywords like ‘speed test’
3. Click ‘Speed Test’ in the search results
4. Next, click the app Internet Speed Test
5. Click Download or Get and wait for the app to install
6. Click Open when the app has installed
7. Click Start Test option
8. Wait for the test results
2. Test Firestick Internet speed with Analiti
There is another speed test app you can use. It is called Analiti.
You can download these apps from the Amazon Store.
Follow the steps below:
1. Go to the Search option again and search with the keywords like Internet speed test
2. You will see a bunch of apps displayed on the next screen. I am going to go with Analiti. However, you may install any other app of your choice
3. Click Download or Get depending upon what you see on the next window
4. Once the app is installed, open it
5. Click detailed test option in the left menu
You will see the test results in a few seconds. The red color indicates download speed while the green color represents upload speed.
3. Test Firestick Internet Speed with a Browser
This is one of the easiest ways to check the speed on Fire TV Stick. However, it may not be completely reliable. The apps I have mentioned above are more reliable.
You can download one of the compatible browsers from the Amazon Store, such as the Silk Browser or Firefox. I prefer Firefox.
Here is how to test the internet speed in a browser:
1. From the home screen of your FireStick, select the Search option in the top-left corner
2. Lookup for the browser you want to download, say Firefox
Click Firefox in the search results
3. Click Firefox on the window that follows next
4. Go ahead and click Download or Get
5. Open the browser once it is installed
6. You may run into a couple of prompts on the first run. Make the appropriate selections as per your preferences
7. Once you are on the main window of the Firefox browser, click the address bar on the top
8. Using the on-screen keyboard, type in the URL fast.com (this speed test website is powered by Netflix)
Click Next or press the Play/Pause button on your Fire TV Stick remote
9. Wait now! The webpage will start testing the speed automatically.
Here is how the result will look like
These are the methods you can use to test the internet speed on FireStick, Fire TV Cube, and Firestick 4K. Slow internet connection could be the reason behind Fire TV Stick buffering issues. If your connection is slow, you can look for the relevant solutions – such as contacting your ISP or maybe even changing the broadband plan. If you think your ISP is throttling the speed, you can bypass the ISP tracking with the help of a good Firestick VPN.
Popular cord-cutting topics
- How to Jailbreak a Firestick
- Best Fire Stick Apps
- How to install Oreo TV on Firestick
- How to install Cyberflix TV APK
- How to install Typhoon TV APK
Disclosure - FireStickTricks.com is reader-supported blog. When you buy a product through links on our site, we may earn commission. Learn More