Kodi 20.1 Nexus is officially out and now available for download on all the supported devices such as Amazon Fire Stick, FireStick 4K, Fire TV Cube, Windows PC, Mac, Android, iOS, and Linux.
Kodi 20.1 comes with a bunch of bug fixes and enhancements. However, do not expect any dramatic changes in the way you use Kodi. Most changes have been made at the backend. The last version of Kodi, Kodi 20, was released in January 2022.
Attention, Kodi Users!
Kodi Addons and builds offer unlimited streaming content, but could also get you into legal trouble if caught streaming free movies, TV shows, or sports. Currently, your IP is visible to everyone. Kodi users are strongly advised to always connect to a VPN while streaming online. A good Kodi VPN hides your identity, bypasses government surveillance, geo-blocked content, and ISP throttling (which also helps in buffer-free streaming).
I personally use ExpressVPN, which is the fastest and most secure VPN. It is very easy to install on any device including Amazon FireStick. You get 3 months free and save 49% on its annual plans. Also, it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee. If you are not satisfied, you can always ask for a refund.
Read: How to Install and Use the Best Kodi VPN
Kodi 20.1 Nexus: What’s New?
Here are the major features of Kodi 20.1 Nexus:
– Some Android-related audio bugs have fixed
– DVD folder structures over network sources has been taken care of
– A bug related to Samba has been fixed
– Multiple enhancements to Game/Retroplayer
– Several other minor changes in the backend
You will find the description of the features on the official release note by the developers for Kodi 20.1.
Kodi 20.1 Nexus Download and Installation Guide
The latest 20.1 version of Kodi can be installed on all devices that support Kodi 20 Matrix and older versions. Here is a quick look:
Amazon FireStick (and Fire TV devices)
Whether you are using FireStick, Fire TV Stick 4K, or any other Fire TV device, you can download and install the Kodi Nexus within minutes.
For new users – How to install Kodi on Fire Stick
For old users – How to update Kodi on Fire Stick
Download Kodi 20.1 for Windows
You can download Kodi 20.1 Nexus directly from the official Microsoft Store. You may also download it from the official Kodi website using one of the following links:
The downloaded file will be in .exe format, and you can install it like any other software on your Windows PC. Simply double-click the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions. Still, if you are not comfortable, you can check the installation guide here.
Download Kodi 20.1 for Mac
The Kodi app will download in .dmg format like any other MacOS app. Double-click the downloaded .dmg file and when you see the new window, move the Kodi icon inside the Applications folder. You can check this guide for detailed instructions.
Kodi 20.1 Nexus for iOS
Kodi Nexus for iOS also needs to be sideloaded. Here is the link to download Kodi 20.1 for iOS devices:
To learn how to install Kodi Nexus on iOS, please follow this guide.
Download Kodi 20.1 APK for Android
Kodi 20.1 is available on Google Play Store. You may also download Kodi 20.1 manually using one of the following links:
It is very easy to install the Kodi APK on Android devices, but if you need help, here is the installation guide.
Get Kodi 20.1 on Xbox One
Kodi 20.1 is available on Xbox via Microsoft Store. Here are the steps to install Kodi 20.1 Nexus:
- Power up your Xbox One
- Click the Search option on the home screen
- Type in Kodi
- Click the Kodi icon in the search results
- Click Get on the next screen
- Wait for the installation to complete
How to Install Kodi 20.1 on Linux
You need to enter a bunch of codes in the terminal to install Kodi Nexus on Linux (or any other Linux-based distribution systems, like Ubuntu). Here they are:
sudo apt install software-properties-common
sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
sudo apt install kodi
Follow this installation guide to learn more
Kodi 20.1 for Raspberry Pi
Here is the detailed installation guide on how to install Kodi on Raspberry Pi
Generic Installation Steps for Kodi Nexus
Here are the generic steps to install Kodi Nexus that work on most platforms:
- Go to https://kodi.tv/download
- Select your Operating System
- Click the appropriate link to download the app file for your OS
- If you need help with installation, you will find the link to How To guides here
Kodi 20.1 Nexus Complete Changelog
You will find the detailed changelog of Kodi 20.1 on the official XBMX Github Page.
Kodi 20.0 Nexus Complete Changelog
You may view the complete changelog for the first iteration of Kodi 20 Nexus on the XBMC Github Page.
Kodi 19.5 Complete Changelogg
You can view the complete changelog for the last iteration of the Kodi 19 Matrix on the XBMC Github Page.
Kodi 19.4 Complete Changelog
- Fix: Home screen context menu fix for when there are more than 10 items in menu.
- Fix: Seekbar wouldn’t disappear after 5 sec when using remote app e.g. Kore or JSON to pause Kodi.
- Fix: English keyboard missing semi-colon.
- Fix: Chinese keyboard character now displaying correctly.
- Fix: Artist discography export to NFO.
- New: Sort method for recordings based on season and episode.
- Fix: Crash when navigating an empty guide.
- Fix: Hiding/deleting channel group now working correctly.
- Fix: Any Favourites for a restricted/locked media source are now hidden.
- Fix: Blu-ray ISO title and watched status now displayed correctly.
- Fix: Wrong language identified from subtitle name corrected.
- Fix: EDL mute now working.
- Fix: ASS subtitles display now working correctly.
- Fix: Audio buffers adjusted.
- Fix: Various TrueHD stutter/dropout issues corrected.
- Fix: Automatic play of DVDs.
- Fix: Mouse cursor positioning in full-screen.
- Fix: Flickering with interlaced H.264 SD on AMD GPUs.
- Fix: Crash on unexpected network configuration (e.g. no MAC address obtained).
- New: Passthrough audio via WASAPI.
- Fix: Permission error preventing installation of Python add-ons.
Kodi 19.3 Complete Changelog
- We’ve had some challenges getting the Xbox version released because of some specific platform requirements needed for 4k/HEVC playback. With the help of @CelesAtXbox (thanks so much!) we think we’ve now genuinely got those covered to Microsoft’s satisfaction, and can finally get this into the Windows Store.
- There’s also an issue with an expired certificate for 18.9 on Xbox, which effectively takes that version off that platform for new installations, so timing is opportune to fix that.
- There’s been a long-standing Atmos audio issue on all platforms that support TrueHD passthrough – we know that this this has been irritating people for some time, and we’ve now been able to fix this.
- We unintentionally introduced a bug in 19.2 that broke Airplay, so we’ve fixed that one.
- A couple of gaming-related fixes, notably a controller fix and some shader issues on Retroplayer.
- We’ve fixed a bug that affected thumbnails for watched episodes when hiding episode spoilers.
- We’ve much improved the metadata shown in Linux app stores.
Kodi 19.2 Complete Changelog
- Fixed: crash when accessing invalid PVR channel from favourites
- Fixed: crash on startup while searching for missing channel icons
- Fixed: crash on startup caused by missing timer type
- Fixed: “Delete permanently” of recordings from trash
- Other, more minor bug fixes
- Fixed a bug that deleted UniqueID’s when scraping the library, which caused unexpected behaviour for addons relying on those ID’s
- Added translations for emulators and game controller add-ons
- Expose icon path of EPG tags as ‘thumbnail’ property
- Expose series number of EPG tags as ‘seasonnum’ property.
- Websocket: handles partial messages
- Fixed: display logic for official and third-party modules
- Fixed: possible crash when switching monitors due to adding/removing hardware.
- Fixed: audio passthrough not working (randomly) on some systems when display refresh rate match is enabled.
- Improved: flip discard swap chain is used on all Windows 10 systems even if graphics driver does not support latest DirectX feature levels.
- Improved: 10-bit swap chain is used by default on Windows 10 systems when HDR display is detected (for 8-bit SDR video sources too).
- Fixed: possible crash related to WS-Discovery when non-computer devices (e.g. IP cameras) are attached to the same network.
- Fixed: possible crash when HDR is toggled on/off externally from Windows 10 display settings.
- Fixed: no picture or wrong black level with some video drivers when limited range output is enabled in conjunction with hardware acceleration DXVA2 and HDR passthrough.
- Fixed: external storage volumes not visible on devices running old Android versions
The big news here is that we can finally make 19.x “Matrix” available on the Xbox – thanks for putting up with the delay while we fixed the blockers!
- Fixed: crash on playback of 4K HEVC videos due to out-of-memory condition.
- Fixed: GUI rendered at 1080 and upscaled to 4K instead of native 4K.
- Fixed: 4K resolution is incorrectly reported in logs as 1920×1080.
- Fixed: crash when “Switch display refresh rate at Start/Stop” is enabled with 4K resolution.
- Fixed: tone mapping not used by default at playback HDR videos.
- Fixed: missing display refresh rate info on Video Debug Info OSD (Alt+O).
- Fixed: Internet SSL connectivity not working due not usable path to built-in CA certs bundle.
- Improved: swap chain performance using DXGI_SWAP_EFFECT_FLIP_DISCARD.
- Improved: 10-bit swap chain surfaces are used if an HDR-capable TV is detected (even for 8-bit SDR videos).
- Improved: HEVC DXVA2 decoder performance using 128 byte aligned decoder surfaces.
Kodi 18.9 Complete Changelog
Kodi 18.9 complete changelog is not available yet. We will update the guide as soon as it is available.
Kodi 18.8 Complete Changelog
- Fixes a severe security issue in gnutls
- Other significant library/compatibility updates
- Gets client/server on MariaDB 10.5.4 working for Android
- Fixes video database access for Ubuntu 20.4 and other distros using earlier libfmt versions (search and other filtering failed)
- Fixes subtitle handling from archives
- Fixes CDDB access
- Makes minor improvements to logging and memory reporting/display
- Fixes EDLs where skip points are at the very start of a file
- Contains code improvements to fix specific events, e.g. race conditions in the EPG or “pause” on end of streams on Android
- Enables alpha blending for the video player (Windows)
- Better handles specific exceptions (Android, mostly)
Kodi 18.7 Complete Changelog
- Fix to not reset user-set volume (Android)
- Fixes around multi-channel audio track support
- Fixes to Bluray subtitle language recognition
- Fix playback of bus-encrypted bluray discs
- Improved library handing for plugins if media source is removed
- Use JNI instead of NDK for MediaCodec (Android)
- Further work on maximum width and height/vertical-shift (Android)
- Fixes around realtime handling of TS streams
- Fix for watch icons not showing when content type is not set (Estouchy)
- Fix navigation in skinsettings (Estuary)
- Fix crash in favourites dialog
- Apply safe area insets to Kodi GUI (iOS)
- Fixes around focus after touch action
- Improvements around dialog/toast handling
- Fixed behaviour when accessing locked media sources
- Fixes around library handling of “isalbumartist” field
- Fixes around expansion of .ISO images to avoid GUI freezes
- Ensure album artist isn’t blanked out when scraping
- Fix downloading dependencies from mirrors (Windows)
- Library updates – bump gnutls (18.104.22.168) and nettle(3.5.1)
- Fix EPG corruption when new channels are added during startup
- Improvements around handling of proxy credentials
- Fix for proxy empty fields (proxy, username, password)
- Fix crash if an incompatible VFS addon is present
- Fix display of title for compressed package directories
- Fixes around addon settings folder naming
- Fixes around decoding of HTML escape characters
- Fix around SMI (SAMI) subtitles and quoted start tags
- Fixes for issues related to switching profile
- Fixes to saving of lock preferences (master lock, lock video windows, etc.)
- Add “Swiss German” and “Portuguese (Brazil)” to language codes
- Fix to guard against assert in tinyxml
- Fix stack overflow when trying to find NFO files in a RAR file
- Implement range checking in URIUtils::resolvePath
- Implement support for extended local headers in ZIP files used by some scrapers
Kodi 18.6 Complete Changelog
- Fixes around visualisations
- Fixes around pause/resume
- Fixes around TrueHD crashes
- Workaround firmware bug (AMLogic v23) (sidenote: there are many more Android audio fixes that can’t be merged into 18.x “Leia” because of old AMLogic workarounds)
Fix to correctly resume audio-only MPEG-TS streams
- Correct headphone enumeration (Android)
- Updates for missing includes
- Updates for Cmake (Windows)
- Updates for device handling and packaging (macOS)
- Fixes for launching disc images and .zip files
- Fixes for black screen for RGB emulators (Rpi)
- Fixes around TextureCache
- Fixes for windowing, refresh rate, mode change and others (Android)
- Fixes for floating/split keyboard (iOS)
- Fix for artist slideshow (Estuary)
- Fix media view from addon given content
- Fixed race condition for OnPlaybackStarted
- Fixes for MIME type (Android)
- Support for DolbyVision streams via addons
- Fixes for maximum width and height/vertical-shift (Android)
- Fix for scanning in sub-directories
- Fix size of EAGL layer on external screen (iOS)
- Fix for glTexImage3D (Linux)
- Fix for seeking issues
- Reset playlist on new file playback
- Fix for multiline episode names
- Fixed incorrectly formatted region time
- Pass JSON serialised path settings to python scrapers
- Fix file access on auto-mounted sources
- Fix seeking with FileCache lockup
- Fix passthrough on USB devices (Android)
- Fix crash if profile.xml gets broken
- Fix cache forward size on EOF
Kodi 18.5 Complete Changelog
- Estuary and GUI info fixes, including scrollbar behaviour, icon names, label changes
- Add dual support for Artist Slideshow 2.x and 3.x
- Fix to always allow ‘Black’ screen saver
- Fix wrong sort order list for music playlists node
- Fixes to external subtitle playback
- Fixes to support for archives over UPnP
- Fixes to “queue item” and “play next” for STRM files with Plugin URL
- Fixes to “hide watched” status for videos
- Fixes to resume handling when marking a file as unwatched
- Fixes to EPG database storage, start/stop of PVR service
- Fix handling of open modal dialogs
- Fixes to commercial skip (EDL) processing
- Multiple Android changes around windowing, secure decoder and SDK versions
- Multiple iOS changes, including support for iPhone 11 and 7th generation iPad, plus fixes for touch input, overlapping drawing surfaces, sandbox checks, notch support.
- MacOS fixes around windowing, where only a portion of the screen was correctly rendered
- Log files improvements around verbosity and security
- Shoutcast improvements
- Various fixes and improvements to add-on settings, package build documentation, build system, advancedsettings.xml, skin/profile changes and many other subsystems
Kodi 18.4 Changelog
- Missing text fixed while sorting from within the addon
- You can now clear or save the focus history while quitting the window. The focus will be on the item in the parent folder
- Estuary skin picture slideshow fixed
- Controller install events can now be subscribed to for games
- The text length of the radio button has been fixed in the Estuary skin
- Formatting of seasons and episodes for the video addons has been fixed
- Display mode ids no longer considered constant
- Fixed the PlayMedia for the artists in smart playlists in Music and builtin for playlists in .strm
- PlayMedia builtin also fixed for the playlists in music and smart playlists
- FFmpeg increased to 4.0.4
- Stream properly can now be used to load programs without having to use streaminfo in video
- AVD3D11VAContext structure initialization also fixed (video, Windows)
- PR16314 (video) related TS Resume point fixed
- Memory leak and seagulf fixed in Linux and video
- PA Player to handle the passthrough for TrueHD audio also fixed
- Component dependencies fixed
- concurrent calls prevention to the video database in PVR Recordings available
Other General fixes
- HTTP folder with +sign fixed
- Various fixes to the controller
- Stream details are now deleted when you refresh the video info
- For the failing entries, Kodi no longer tries to resolve the plugin paths
Kodi 18.1 Changelog
- Speed up Player and Playlists operations with JSON-RPC
- Define a senseful default value for advanced settings “updateemptytagsinterval”
- Revert edge case crash fix that caused DVDs to be not recognised on Mac OS
- Remove “dxvaallowhqscaling” advanced setting to prepare for DXVA improvements in v18.2 for Windows
- Linux X11: fix usage of required configuration values
- Add date to the log records
- Don’t react on DPI change event on Win10 >= FCU
- Fix Android MediaCodec freeze on early disposal of a stream
- Flush streamplayers if abort is requested which solves waiting too long (on skipping DVD intros, for example)
- Fix ListitemAbsolute and ListItemPosition in GUI engine
- Ignore very first “server not reachable” notification for PVR servers
- Use extended result codes for SQLite
- Fix invalid PTS decoder value which should improve MPEG2 playback on Android devices
- update SSL CA trust store
- Handle empty vertex buffers in GUIFontTTFGL which caused a hard crash
- Reintroduce setting “Close channel OSD after switching channels” for PVR
- Fix thread logging on Android which causes e.g. frozen DVD/Bluray playback
- Avoid attempt to load music info for smartplaylists
- Fix Top 100 Albums regression
- RenderCapture: Only query Occlusion if GL lower 1.5
- Check current mode if whitelist doesn’t match and take the correct action
- Check if app intent is valid on Android. This fixes a hard crash when trying to open Kodi again
- Fix PVR input stream creation for PVR file items only containing a path and no recording/channel tag.
- Fix playing VP9 streams using the inputstream addon. It failed because codec extradata is non-existent for this stream codec.
- Catch an exception while reading or writing a file
- Fix logical “or” operation in GUI engine
- Check the system capabilities to support sleep states S1/S2/S3/S4 before reporting them as available
- Fix crash in PCSX ReARMed with BIOS
- Several Estuary cosmetic fixes
Kodi 18.0 Leia: Complete Changelog
1.1 Gaming (Games interface and Game Clients)
- Added a “Games” window to GUI (games are managed using a basic file browser as a game library does not exist yet)
- Added a RetroPlayer player core supporting game clients addons as well as emulator cores via libretro API
- Added extentions to Kodi’s Addons AP to support Game Client Addons, supporting Kodi’s VFS (Virtual File System), etc.
- Added support for Game Client Addons as new type of addons with just-in-time emulator installation
- Added a Games window and Game OSD (On-Screen-Display) entries to the GUI
- Added a gaming and game configuration interface for Game settings to the GUI
- Added support for Game Info Tags (game info tag) and exposed properties to Python list items
- Added a savestate (savestate) manager to Kodi for games
- Added initial support for basic gameplay persistence (auto-save & auto-load)
- Added support for in-game (save RAM) saves
- Added support for Keyboard players via Joystick Emulation
- Added Game API acbstraction for game controller multitaps (a.k.a. hubs) including topology GUI display
- Added Game API acbstraction to support gamepad/joystick remapping for games (per game-addon)
- Added Game API acbstraction to support keyboard remapping for games (per game-addon)
- Added Game API acbstraction to support mouse remapping for games (per game-addon)
- Added support for libretro API and game cores (emulators and games) that support it as binary addons
- Added game clients addons for many popular third-party game console emulators and native open source games *
- * Game clients addons for Kodi is changing quickly so checkout the game clients addons article for a current list
1.2 Live TV and PVR (Personal Video Recorder)
- Added support for RDS (Radio Data System) for radio channels if the PVR backend client support RDS
- Added new settings for ‘Startup action’ and add ‘Play TV/Radio
- Added support for global direct channel number input & global unique channel numbers
- Added support for no delay on switch to previous channel with key 0 when using direct channel number input
- Added context menu support for Estuary (skin) PVR home screen widgets
- Added percent played progress bar to PVR info panel (for recordings) in Estuary (skin)
- Added Info support to recently played channel widget to Estuary (skin) home screen
- Added episode name to Live TV, recordings OSD sub label, and cleanup seekbar for Live TV in Estuary (skin)
- Added Season/Episode info in Guide window and dialog in Estuary (skin)
- Added support for next and previous buttons in OSD Timeshift window
- Added feature to prefill recordings folder with timer title in the timer settings dialog
- Added support for radio channel groups to the channelgroup manager
- Added support for a ‘Smart selection’ of EPG events feature to the guide window
- Added ‘Go to date’ context menu item to the guide window
- Added support for channel groups selector to the guide window
- Added possibility to switch between horizontal and vertical epg grid view to the guide window
- Added support to sort content by channel number/channel name/last played, support sort order to the Guide window
- Added support next/previous chapter in PVR recordings
- Improved PVR seekbar and info dialog in Estuary (skin)
- Improved PVR info panel, info dialog, and recordings window in Estuary (skin)
- Improved support for enabling multiple PVR client addons
- Improved support for for subchannel numbers support (ATSC)
- Improved OSD Timeshift GUI
- Improved the guide window for better consistency and readability
- Changed GUI actions to eliminate duplicate and dead code (major GUI refactoring for PVR and LiveTV)
- Changed implementation of EPG search filter (EPG search dialog) completely
- Changed Guide Window removing obsolete views “channel”, “now” and “next”
- Changed “play minimized” settings handling
- Changed ‘epg.lingertime’ to an official setting, remove the respective advanced setting
- Changed shared channel selection into an optional setting
- Removed obsolete and unused setting ‘pvrplayback.scantime’
- Removed channel guide button from EPG event info dialog, add ‘channel guide’ to context menu
- Removed setting ‘hide connection lost warning’
- Removed non-working recording settings defaults
- Recordings window: Content view filter
- PVR-Addon API changes
- Added, updated, and improved PVR backend clients addons for popular third-party external PVR backend platforms:
- New: Zattoo PVR Client PVR Addon backend client maintained and available from Kodi’s community
- New: Teleboy PVR Client PVR Addon backend client maintained and available from Kodi’s community
- New: Sledovanitv.cz PVR Client PVR Addon backend client maintained and available from Kodi’s community
- PVR Demo Client dummy addon with fake (method stub) PVR backend for PVR skinning and regression testing
- IPTV Simple Client PVR Addon backend client maintained and available from Kodi’s community
- FilmOn PVR Addon backend client maintained and available from Kodi’s community
- Stalker Middleware PVR Addon backend client maintained and available from Kodi’s community
- HDHomeRun PVR Addon backend client maintained and available from Kodi’s community
- Digital Devices Octopus NET Client PVR Addon backend client maintained and made available by Digital Devices
- Enigma2 (Dreambox / Vu+ / DBox2) PVR Addon backend client maintained and available from Kodi’s community
- VBox TV Gateway PVR Addon backend client maintained and available from Kodi’s community
- Njoy Digital (N7) PVR Addon backend client maintained and available from Kodi’s community
- PCTV Systems (Broadway) PVR Addon backend client maintained and available from Kodi’s community
- Tvheadend HTSP Client PVR Addon backend client maintained and available from Kodi’s community
- VDR VNSI Client PVR Addon backend client maintained and available from Kodi’s community
- MythTV PVR Client Addon backend client maintained and available from the Kodi’s community
- NextPVR (former GB-PVR) PVR Addon backend client maintained and available from Kodi’s community
- Argus TV (former ForTheRecord) PVR Addon backend client maintained and available from Kodi’s community
- DVBLink PVR Client Addon backend client maintained and available from Kodi’s community
- DVBViewer Client PVR Addon backend client maintained and available from Kodi’s community
- MediaPortal PVR Client Addon backend client maintained and available from Kodi’s community
- WMC (Windows Media Center) PVR Addon backend client maintained and available from Kodi’s community
1.3 Add-ons Framework, API, and Manager
- Implemented a Python 3 interpreter inside Kodi (plus enforcing Python 2 & 3 compatibility in Leia addon repository)
- Implemented online binary addon repository from which Kodi can now automatically installs/updates binary addon
- Major refactoring of Kodi’s core handling and GUI management of binary addons
- Added framework to support VFS (Virtual File System) as binary addons
- Added framework support for binary addons for video decoder codecs
- Added framework support for binary addons for image (picture) decoder codecs
- Added extentions to Kodi’s Addons API to support binary addons for video decoder codecs
- Added extentions to Kodi’s Addons API to support binary addons for image decoder codecs
- Added support for Python addons to use PyCryptoDome crypto module for decryption
- Added option to pass HTTP cookies with AVOption to Kodi’s Video Player
- Added support to allow addons to edit all used controls on their processed window
- Added support to allow Python addons to set the videoinfotag path
- Added support to allow Python addons to get/set the dbid of a (music) listitem
- Added support for mediatype to musicinfotag tag retrieving via Python API
- Added support “int/float slider” to Kodi’s Python API
- Added support “setContent for mediawindows” to Kodi’s Python API
- Added help for load of shared library and allow the use of their own addon temp folder
- Added support to inspect add-on dependencies prior to installation
- Added ability to remove add-on settings upon uninstall
- Changed to new addon gui interface for list items to use on addon window
- Changed service addons to use event handlers instead of synchronous addon hooks
1.4 Input System (Input Manager and Input APIs)
- Improved the input manager and input API system for keyboards, mouses, and game controllers
- Updated “Peripheral Addons” for game controllers, gamepads, joysticks, and input peripherals profiles (in Kodi-game repo):
- Joystick Controller Addon
- X-Arcade (XGaming Tankstick) support for Kodi Addon
- Steam Controller (gamepad) Addon
- Default Game Controller Addon (reference game controller addon based on Xbox 360 gamepad)
- PlayStation Game Controller Addon
- Nintendo NES Game Controller Addon
- Nintendo SNES Game Controller Addon
- Nintendo N64 Game Controller Addon
- Nintendo GBA Game Controller Addon
- Sega Genesis Game Controller Addon
- Sega Dreamcast Game Controller Addon
1.5 GUI Engine (Skinning Engine)
- Added windows to support Games and Game OSD in the new default skins (Estuary and Estouchy)
- Added player process info dialog to Kodi’s default skin (Estuary)
- Added support for addons to use banner and ClearLogo
- Added support for skins/gui to allow implicit container referencing for non-media windows
- Added support for addons to add “Enable/Disable” to context menu
- Added support for remember last used keyboard layout in GUI
- Added support for ISO 639-2/T language code retrieval (required by libbluray)
- Added support to map a key to browse for subtitle in video fullscreen window
- Improved Kodi’s GUI engine with optimizations for message handling and SmartRedraw
- Improved Kodi’s GUI engine support for scaling container layouts
- Improved Kodi’s GUI engine by allowing %-values for origin, camera and animation attribs
- Changed so that context menu reloading loads async to aviod GUI lockup on wait
- Updated guilib ABI (for libgui) to version 5.13.0
- Updated keyboard layout for some languages and added support Croatian, Slovenian, and Thai (Kedmanee)
- Updated image resource addons (as example weather icons, weather fanart, studio logos, and genre icons)
1.6 Platform Independent Playback
- Added support for “InputStream” (input stream) addons to pass CryptoSession flags field
- Added support for BD-J / Blu-ray Disc Java menu support (requires system Java runtime enviroment)
- Added support for Blu-ray Disc detection and use provided meta data for Blu-ray Disc names
- Added support for video buffers to be used by decoders and renderers
- Added support for platforms to register custom buffers, like example dma
- Added a VC1-Packet bitstream parser implementation for improved VC-1 playback
- Added and updated many (binary) audio decoder and encoder addons for Kodi
- Added a few (binary) video decoder addons for Kodi
- Added a “RAW” (libraw based) image decoder addon to Kodi
- Improved MMAL playback of H.264 MVC (Blu-ray 3D) stereoscopic video with framepacking decoding on Raspberry Pi
- Improved Stereoscopic 3D playback of 3D videos (as well as better 2D playback of 3D videos)
- Improved and enhanced Blu-ray support (including updated libbluray dependecies from the VideoLAN project
- Improved support for “InputStream” (input stream) addons as system addons
- Updated “InputStream” (input stream) client addons for common network streaming protocols and popular services:
- InputStream Addon (default reference InputStream Addon by Team Kodi
- Test InputStream Addon (Test InputStream Addon for Kodi’s new inputstream interface
- Adaptive InputStream Addon (InputStream Client addon for several manifest types)
- RTMP InputStream Addon (InputStream Client for RTMP streams using librtmp)
- MPD (MPEG-DASH) InputStream Addon
- SmoothStream InputStream Addon for MS-SSTR (SmoothStreamingMedia) Smooth Streaming Protocol
- NXMSL InputStream Addon for Netflix style manifests over MSL
- Updated FFmpeg multimedia codec and demux libraries to stable branch release version FFmpeg 4.0 (4.0.2)
- Removed certain audio codecs from core and made them into audio decoder and audio encoder binary add-ons
- Removed certain video codecs from core and made them into video decoder binary add-ons
- Removed certain image codecs from core and made them into image decoder binary add-ons
1.7 General Library
- Added support to use the Favourites function in context menus
- Added support for context menus to favourites home screen widget
- Added support to “Sort By Date Added” in Music Video title node
1.8 Music Library
- Added an option to rescan the music file tags for existing items in the library
- Added processing of WRITER tag for ID3 v2, Vorbis and APE formats
- Added processing of ARTISTSORT (TSOP), ALBUMARTISTSORT (TS02) and COMPOSERSORT (TSOC) tags to provide a sort name for artists.
- Added a new dialog for selection of both artist and album scraper addons, and their settings.
- Added additional artist data that Musicbrainz provides: type (person, group, orchestra, choir etc.), gender, and disambiguation comments that help to differentiate artists with the same name
- Added an Artist Information Folder – a single location for artist artwork and nfo. This solves numerous issues related to artwork, artist data import and general folder and file structure
- Added support for Extended Artwork, making the local art that is picked up automatically on scan configurable.
- Added an option to prefer scraped album covers to embedded images
- Added a filter to sort music items by media source
- Improved use of BAND and ENSEMBLE (Vorbis and APE) tags.
- Improved handling of duplicate MusicBrainzTrackID within the same album
- Improved handling of Cue Sheets
- Improved online scraping of additional artist and album information making better use of Musicbrainz IDs
- Improved on clean installs, change default song sort order to Track Number
- Improved FileItem::IsSamePath for albums and artists to prevent false matches
- Improved album genre inconsistencies
- Improved performance by avoiding unnecessary db access by GUI when app processing GUI_MSG_UPDATE_ITEM messages
- Improved support for fetching local art for multi-folder albums (disc sets)
- Changed Artist/Album Information Dialog
- Changed Song Information Dialog
1.9 Web Scrapers
- Added support for Python (script) based web scrapers for Kodi
- Refactored and updated many XML based scrapers in Kodi for music, movies, tv shows, and music videos
- Updated music, movies, tv shows, and music video scrapers for Kodi
- Added a new Sndio sink for ActiveAE for BSD, other BSD Unix based systems, and Linux
- Improved the default cross-platform event driven active state machine pattern ActiveAE (Kodi’s AudioEngine)
- Improved ALSA sink for ActiveAE for Linux Desktop and generic Linux based Embedded Systems
- Improved PulseAudio sink for ActiveAE for Linux Desktop
- Improved OSS (Open Sound System) sink for ActiveAE for BSD, like FreeBSD and similar BSD Unix based systems
- Improved AUDIOTRACK sink for ActiveAE for Amlogic
- Improved Pi Audio sink for ActiveAE for Raspberry Pi
- Improved DirectSound sink for ActiveAE for Windows
- Improved WASAPI sink for ActiveAE for Windows
- Improved CoreAudio sink for ActiveAE for (Mac) OS X and iOS
- Improved Darwin sink for ActiveAE for (Mac) OS X and iOS
- Renamed AE_SINK to KODI_AE_SINK
- Added a new unified setting for “Startup action” and added “Play TV/Radio”
- Added support to build Kodi with support for Bluetooth
- Added possibility for CMake build system to add additional libraries on install
- Added and updated many audio visualization and screensaver addons for Kodi
- Improved Kodi’s JSON-RPC API
- Improved code stability, performance. and security, as well as general code clean-up in many core areas
- Improved compiling/building and code documentation (following doxygen coding guidelines)
- Changed to use spdlog for Kodi logging as well as improved and further optimized logging (including debug logs)
- Changed XML format of setting values for Kodi’s settings configuration
- Updated and improved mappings for new and existing remote controls
- Updated default web interface (webinterface is called “Chorus2” and is currently at version 2.4.4)
- Updated critical dependency libraries such as openssl, gnutls, and CMake (used to compile Kodi and its binary addons)
- Removed last dependencies of SDL (Simple DirectMedia Layer) which was hardware abstraction for input devices
- Removed all glew (libglew library) dependencies in Kodi’s code
1.12 Android Specific
- Moved to Android API 26 and SDK 26 with NDK 18 as minimum (meaning at least Android 5.0 is still required)
- Added support for speech-to-text in Kodi OSD keyboard on Android TV (triggered by voice button on remote)
- Added support for Android to move the Kodi app to SD card
- Added support for Android TV Leanback search and recommendations meta data from Kodi
- Default setting for Android TV Leanback suggestion to random unwatched movies and music albums
- Changed Rendertype from GUILayer to VideoLayer for Android MediaCodecSurface
- Changed to use NDK native C interface for Android MediaCodec (for performance gains)
- Changed to support ZeroConf via native Android API (and deprecates mDNSresponder)
- Changed to support network information via native Android API (and deprecates POSIX)
- Changed handling of Kodi’s Java interfaces via JNI for better consistency
1.13 BSD Specific
- Improved Kodi support for BSD (operating system) on FreeBSD, PC-BSD, and other similar BSD platforms
- Improved VAAPI (Video Acceleration API) support (requires VAAPI compatible hardware and drivers)
- Improved VDPAU (NVIDIA) Hardware Video Acceleration (requires VDPAU compatible hardware and drivers)
1.14 Linux Specific
- Added support for a generic DRM/KMS implementation using GBM to create surfaces and V4L2 for video acceleration
- Added support for Mir windowing system (Mir 1.0) for Kodi and added support for VAAPI on Mir using DRM
- Added support for the middle mouse button on embedded platforms
- Added support more yuv420p bitwidths for direct rendering on Linux
- Added support for using VAAPI hardware video decoding with OpenGL ES
- Added support for build Kodi with imx support using CMake
- Moved the CMake build system to the top of the code tree (moved to root)
- Improved support for UltraHD decoding / 4K resolution output when hardware supports it
- Improved ARM processor architecture (using Raspberry Pi as reference device)
- Improved OpenGL ES and EGL support (using Raspberry Pi as reference device)
- Improved VAAPI (Video Acceleration API) support (requires VAAPI compatible hardware and drivers)
- Improved VDPAU (NVIDIA) Hardware Video Acceleration (requires VDPAU compatible hardware and drivers)
- Improved XvBA (AMD/ATI) Hardware Video Acceleration (requires XvBA compatible hardware and drivers)
- Improved dedicated AMLCodec hardware accelerated video decoding support for Linux on Amlogic devices
- Removed the unused and unmaintained OpenMAX video decoder from Kodi’s VideoPlayer
- Removed support for autotools based build system for Kodi and binary addons (in favour of CMake)
1.15 iOS Specific
- Added support for iOS 10.0 by adding support for compiling Kodi with Xcode 8 IDE and iOS SDK 10.0
- Improved Apple VDADecoder Video Acceleration support for iOS (on iPad, iPhone, and iPod iDevices)
- Improved support for TVOS (Apple’s iOS fork for Apple TV 4) in Kodi mainline
- Improved support for iOS on ARM64 (64-bit iOS)
1.16 OS X Specific
- Added support for compiling Kodi with Xcode 8 IDE for OSX 10.11 (El Capitan) and macOS 10.12 (Sierra)
- Improved Apple VDADecoder Video Acceleration support for (Mac) OS X
1.17 Windows Specific
- Added support to build Kodi for Windows 64 / Windows for Intel 64-bit (x86-64)
- Added support for 3D LUT (3D Lookup Table) and dithering to Windows video renderer
- Improved support to compiling Kodi for Microsoft’s UWP (Universal Windows Platform) APIs
- Changed the inner working of render buffers and rendering methods
- Changed to using unicode win32 api methods
- Changed windowing systems for screen saver handling on Windows OS platforms
- Changed to make Kodi for Windows platform independent of posix/main.cpp
- Removed support for Windows Vista as the operating-system is no longer supported by Microsoft
Tip: If you are a new Kodi user, follow this Kodi resource to find the best Addons, Builds, and other popular guides.Legal Disclaimer - FireStickTricks.com does not verify the legality or security of any add-ons, apps or services mentioned on this site. Also, we do not promote, host or link to copyright-protected streams. We highly discourage piracy and strictly advise our readers to avoid it at all costs. Any mention of free streaming on our site is purely meant for copyright-free content that is available in the Public domain. Read our full disclaimer.
Disclosure - FireStickTricks.com is reader-supported blog. When you buy a product through links on our site, we may earn commission. Learn More