If you own an Amazon FireStick device, chances are you haven’t changed its name.
Most people don’t change the name of their FireStick devices because they don’t realize they can. Then again, some FireStick owners simply don’t care about the name of their FireSticks.
It’s okay not to change the default name of your FireStick if you have only one device around. But if there is more than one FireStick in your vicinity, changing your FireStick’s name is wise. More on that below.
It’s not rocket science. I’ll show you two ways you can change the name of your FireStick in under two minutes. I’ll also answer some FAQs to guide you along.
Without further ado, let’s get started!
Attention, FireStick Users!
Governments and ISPs constantly monitor your online activity, and accessing copyrighted content on your Fire TV Stick could lead to serious trouble. Currently, your IP is visible to everyone. I strongly recommend getting the best FireStick VPN to mask your IP address and securely stream your favorites.
I personally use ExpressVPN, the fastest and most secure VPN available. Not only is it easy to install on any device, it comes with a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee. Plus, if you're not 100% satisfied, you can always get a refund. ExpressVPN is currently also offering a whopping 3 extra months free on their annual plan!
Why Change Your Firestick’s Name?
You may be wondering why you should change your FireStick’s name. The main reason is that it makes your device identifiable to you. Although all FireStick devices have unique names, customizing your device’s name will make it recognizable at a glance. Especially if there are other FireStick devices around you or other devices on your home network, editing your FireStick’s name lets you pick it out of the crowd.
For instance, what if you take your FireStick to a hotel and there are multiple FireStick devices connected to the hotel’s network? If you want to connect your smartphone to your FireStick so you can stream from your phone, you may find it challenging to discern your FireStick from the rest. The FireStick names would all look similar.
In comparison, a customized FireStick name would immediately stand out.
Setting an Appropriate Name For Your FireStick
It’s crucial to give your FireStick a memorable name. The purpose is to help you differentiate your device from other devices. If you name your device something unusual, you may still have trouble recognizing your device when you see it later in a list of devices.
You can use uppercase letters, lowercase letters, dashes, underscores, numbers, and more. But don’t get too carried away. Keep it simple. Go for a name that you know you’ll easily recognize at a glance.
Check Your FireStick’s Current Name
Before you rename your FireStick device, it’s good to know the current name.
Checking the existing name of your FireStick device will help you to rename the device more efficiently.
Here’s how you can check your FireStick’s current name.
1. Launch your FireStick device and let it load fully. Select the settings gear, vertically centered on the far right side of the home screen.
2. Scroll down and select My Fire TV.
3. Select About.
4. Look at the top-right corner of your screen. You’ll find the current name of your FireStick device under Device Name.
My FireStick’s name is Syed’s FireTVStick. For this example, I am going to change it to FST Fire TV. Read on to learn how to change your device’s name.
How to Change Your FireStick Name
Before we start, I want to mention that you can’t change your FireStick’s name directly from your FireStick.
That brings us to the two methods you can use to change your FireStick’s name quickly.
For the first method, we’ll use the official Amazon website to change the name of your Amazon FireStick.
For the second method, we’ll use the official Amazon mobile application.
Here are those methods, step by step.
Method 1: Use the Amazon Website
Those who are comfortable with a personal computer will prefer this method.
However, please note that you may use the same process on a mobile device as long as you view the desktop version of the Amazon website.
Here’s how to change your FireStick’s name using the official Amazon website.
1. Open a web browser on a computer and go to Amazon.com.
2. Then, hover your cursor over Accounts & Lists near the top-right corner of your screen so that a drop-down menu appears.
3. Click on the yellow Sign in button.
4. You’ll be redirected to the Amazon sign-in page. Enter the email or mobile phone number that’s connected to your Amazon account and click on the Continue button.
5. On the next page, enter the password for your Amazon account, then click on the Sign-In button.
6. You’ll be signed in to your account and redirected to the home page of the Amazon website.
7. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and locate Manage Your Content and Devices.
8. By default, the Content tab will be selected.
9. Click on the Devices tab just to the right of Content.
10. You’ll see your Amazon devices. Click Fire TV.
11. You will see all the Fire TV devices connected to your account. In my case, it’s only one, Syed’s FireTVStick. Click on the device you wish to rename.
12. On the next page, you’ll see information about your FireStick device. You’ll also see a small blue Edit link to the right of your device’s name. Click that link.
13. After clicking on the Edit link, a window called Edit Device Information will pop up.
14. Delete the existing name from the text box, enter your desired name for your FireStick, and click on the Save button.
That’s it! You’ve successfully changed your Amazon FireStick’s name using the official Amazon website.
Method 2: Use the Amazon Mobile App
Those who are more comfortable on mobile will prefer this method.
You can change your FireStick’s name in a snap with the official Amazon mobile application.
Note that I am using an iOS device in this guide, but the steps are nearly identical for an Android mobile device.
Let’s see how you can change your FireStick’s name from your phone or tablet.
Note: If you already have Amazon App on your smartphone, skip Steps 1-4.
1. Open the Apple App Store or Google Play Store on your mobile device.
2. Go to the search bar and search for Amazon.
3. At or toward the top, you’ll see the Amazon application. Tap GET or Install to download and install it on your device.
4. Wait for the download and installation to complete.
5. Once installation finishes, open the Amazon app. If you see a Sign in button, tap it and skip the next step. Otherwise, tap on the profile icon on the bottom of the screen, just to the right of the home icon.
6. Then, tap on the yellow Sign in button to sign in to your Amazon account.
7. Enter your email or mobile phone number connected with your Amazon account and click on the yellow Continue button.
8. On the next screen, enter your Password and click on the yellow Sign-In button.
9. After a few seconds, you’ll be logged in to your Amazon account and taken back to the home screen.
10. Tap the profile icon at the bottom of the screen, just to the right of the home icon.
11. Then, tap the bubble labeled Your Account near the top of the screen.
12. Scroll down to the section called Account settings and tap Manage content and devices.
13. Tap the Devices tab near the top of your screen, just to the right of the Content tab.
14. On the Devices page, you’ll see a section for Amazon devices.
15. Tap Fire TV to show all your Amazon Fire TV devices. Then select the device you want to rename. In my case, it’s Syed’s FireTVStick.
16. Tap the small blue Edit link to the right of your device’s name.
17. Delete the existing name from the text box, enter your desired name for your FireStick, and tap Save to continue.
Congratulations! You have now successfully changed your Amazon FireStick’s name via the official Amazon mobile app.
If you have questions, read the following FAQs to see if you find answers. If you don’t find all the answers you need, please ask questions in the comments section below this article.
Will renaming my FireStick device affect my apps, subscriptions, and settings?
No, renaming your FireStick will not affect any of your apps, subscriptions, or settings. It only affects the name displayed for your device, and everything else will remain unchanged. You won’t have to tweak, reinstall, or sign in again to your apps/accounts after changing the name of your FireStick device.
However, remember that you’ll no longer see the default name of your FireStick when connecting to it from other devices. If you have become accustomed to seeing your FireStick’s default name, it may throw you off the first few times you see its new name.
Do I need to reset my FireStick device to factory settings to change its name?
There’s no need to reset your FireStick device to factory settings just to change its name.
Those who don’t know how to change the name of their FireStick may reset their device in an attempt to change its name, but it can’t be done this way. Resetting your device will only cause you to lose all your apps and settings.
You can change your FireStick’s name in two minutes following either of the methods I showed you in this article.
Can I rename a Fire TV Cube?
A Fire TV Cube is like any other Fire TV device manufactured and sold by Amazon. There’s no difference in these settings across Amazon Fire TV devices.
Therefore, the same two renaming methods apply to Fire TV Cube.
Which method for changing my FireStick’s name is easier?
If you are on a laptop or desktop and don’t have access to a smartphone, use the first method to change your FireStick’s name via the Amazon website.
If you are on a smartphone, and especially if you already have the Amazon app, use the second method to change your FireStick’s name through the app.
Both methods are easy to follow, so it comes down to personal preference and how easily you can access each type of device.
Changing your Amazon FireStick’s name is quite easy, especially if you follow a step-by-step guide like this one.
Make your FireStick’s name unique today so you can easily identify it among other devices.
If you run into any problems or have questions about editing your FireStick’s name, please let me know in the comments below so I can help you.Legal Disclaimer - FireStickTricks.com does not verify the legality or security of any add-ons, apps or services mentioned on this site. Also, we do not promote, host or link to copyright-protected streams. We highly discourage piracy and strictly advise our readers to avoid it at all costs. Any mention of free streaming on our site is purely meant for copyright-free content that is available in the Public domain. Read our full disclaimer.
Disclosure - FireStickTricks.com is reader-supported blog. When you buy a product through links on our site, we may earn commission. Learn More