In this guide, I will teach you how to install and watch DirecTV Stream (formerly known as AT&T TV) on your FireStick. This guide is also applicable to other Amazon Fire TV devices such as Fire TV Cube, FireStick Lite, FireStick 4K, and FireStick 4K Max. I will guide you through the process of subscribing to, installing, and using DirecTV Stream (AT&T TV) on your FireStick.
What Is DirecTV Stream (Formerly Known As AT&T TV)?
DirecTV Stream is an online live TV service. It’s a satellite broadcasting service that allows users to enjoy the benefits of traditional cable TV without needing special equipment. To enjoy DirecTV Stream, users simply need an active DirecTV Stream subscription, the DirecTV app, and a stable Wi-Fi connection.
DirecTV Stream has over 140 live channels from numerous categories like sports, movies, and news. The service has four primary plans with a wide variety of add-ons. This is a really good alternative for users who are planning to cut the cord. DirecTV’s ability to provide live regional sports channels (in select packages) helps it shine when compared to the competition, like YouTube TV and its alternatives. Apart from regional TV, it also has popular channels like Cartoon Network, HBO HD, Disney, and AMC.
Attention, FireStick Users!
Governments and ISPs constantly monitor your online activity, and accessing copyrighted content on your Fire TV Stick could lead to serious trouble. Currently, your IP is visible to everyone. I strongly recommend getting the best FireStick VPN to mask your IP address and securely stream your favorites.
I personally use ExpressVPN, the fastest and most secure VPN available. Not only is it easy to install on any device, it comes with a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee. Plus, if you're not 100% satisfied, you can always get a refund. ExpressVPN is currently also offering a whopping 3 extra months free on their annual plan!
Plans and Pricing for DirecTV Stream
While DirecTV Stream doesn’t require any special equipment like a dish antenna, it does require an active subscription. With a subscription, users can enjoy DirecTV Stream on various supported devices, like FireStick, Apple TV, and Google Chromecast.
Here are the four plans offered by DirecTV Stream at the time of writing this article:
Note: Prices exclude any taxes.
- Entertainment Package: This package is priced at $69.99/month. It is the most basic plan and offers around 65+ channels. Regional sports channels are not included in this plan.
- Choice Package: This plan costs $84.99/month and provides access to 90+ channels. This package includes the regional sports channels. This is an early bird price and is expected to increase to $89.99/month soon.
- Ultimate Package: Starting at $94.99/month, this plan has 130+ channels, including regional sports channels. The price is expected to increase to $104.99/month soon.
- Premier Package: This is the most premium plan at $139.99/month. It has 140+ channels along with access to regional sports channels. The price will be hiked to $149.99/month soon.
These are the base packages and can be configured with add-ons to suit the user’s needs. All plans include 20 hours of DVR cloud storage. For another $10/month, you can unlock unlimited DVR recordings. These packages also include subscriptions to other over-the-top platforms like Showtime and Starz for the first three months.
Unfortunately, the DirecTV Stream service is limited to the US. The good news is if you live outside the US, you can still access the service by using a VPN like ExpressVPN to connect to a US server.
Here’s how you can get started with ExpressVPN on FireStick:
Step 1: Subscribe to ExpressVPN HERE. It comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee. Meaning, you can use it free for the first 30-days and if you are not satisfied with the performance (which is highly unlikely), you can ask for a full refund.
Step 2: Power ON your Fire TV Stick and go to Find followed by Search option.
Step 3: Now type “Expressvpn” (without quotes) in the search bar and select ExpressVPN when it shows up in the search results.
Step 4: Click Download to install the ExpressVPN app on Fire TV / Stick.
Step 5: Open the app and enter the login credentials that you created while buying the ExpressVPN subscription. Click Sign in.
Step 6: Click the Power icon to connect to a VPN server. That’s all. Your connection is now secure with the fastest and best VPN for FireStick.
You can also read more detailed info on using ExpressVPN with Fire TV / Stick.
How to Subscribe to DirecTV Stream
Now I will show you how to subscribe to any DirecTV Stream plan from the official website.
1. Head over to https://www.directv.com/stream/shop/ on a convenient device, like your smartphone or computer.
2. You can click on SEE CHANNEL LINEUP to view the various channels available under each plan.
3. Once you’ve decided on your plan, you have two options. If you don’t care for any add-ons, you can click on the respective CHECKOUT button and skip to step 6 below. To check out the available add-ons, don’t skip any steps.
4. If you plan to customize your package by purchasing add-ons, click on the Add Package & Configure button that can be found under your preferred plan. (As an example, I will select the Entertainment package.)
5. Scroll down to see the various subscriptions included in the plan and the packages that can you buy.
a. If you wish to add access to other services, networks, or channels, such as NBA League Pass, AMC+, or HBO Max, click on the respective box to add that add-on to your cart.
b. If you plan to use DirecTV on your FireStick or another supported streaming device, you can skip the DIRECTV STREAM device. I recommend against spending extra for a streaming device if you already have a FireStick. If you still wish to purchase a DIRECTV STREAM device, click on the + icon.
c. By default, all plans come with 20 hours of free DVR storage. But you can upgrade to unlimited hours of DVR cloud support for $10/month. You can do so by clicking on the box labeled Yes, record it all! For those unaware, DVR is a function that allows users to record live channels for later consumption.
d. You can see a summary of your package and your final price by clicking on the down arrow found beside the SECURE CHECKOUT button.
6. Once you’ve configured the package to your liking, click on SECURE CHECKOUT.
7. Create a new user ID by filling in your details. If you already have an account, click on USE EXISTING USER ID and sign in accordingly.
8. Click on CONTINUE TO PAYMENT after you have filled in the details.
9. Enter your credit card details, accept the terms and conditions (after reading them), and click on COMPLETE ORDER.
You have successfully subscribed to DirecTV Stream. I will now show you how to install the DirecTV app on your FireStick so you can stream the service.
How to Install DirecTV Stream (Formerly AT&T TV) on FireStick
The DirecTV app is officially available on the Amazon App Store. Therefore, there is no need to sideload the app using Downloader.
However, this application’s availability is geo-restricted due to DirecTV being limited to the US, as I mentioned. But if you’re outside of the US, you can still use ExpressVPN to connect to a US server and download the app.
Follow these steps to install the official DirecTV app:
1. On your FireStick home screen, click on Find.
2. Click on the Search tile.
3. A virtual keyboard will pop up. Start typing DirecTV, and click on Directv when it appears in the suggestions.
4. Click on the DirecTV Stream banner.
5. Click on the Download or Get button to install the app.
You have now completed the installation for the DirecTV Stream app.
If you plan to use the app regularly, you can create a shortcut for DirecTV Stream app on home screen. To set up a shortcut, head to your FireStick home screen > select view all apps > select the DirecTV app banner > press the menu button on your FireStick remote > select Move > move the app to the top row > press the select button on your remote. A DirecTV shortcut will now appear on your home screen.
Now, I’ll show you how to set up the app and its various features.
Setting Up and Using the DirecTV Stream App
1. Launch the DirecTV Stream app.
2. Click on Sign In.
3. The account login screen will appear. Select the first field to enter your details.
4. Fill in your account details using the virtual keyboard.
5. Click on Sign in.
Now that we’re signed in, I’ll give you a walkthrough of the app.
You will be greeted with the DirecTV home screen. Under Watch Now, you can navigate through the various channels. Each banner will depict the ongoing show/movie.
Click on a banner to launch the channel/show of your liking.
The app also has a built-in guide that can be accessed by selecting the Guide option.
A detailed guide screen will appear. This screen shows additional information such as the timeline of upcoming programs. It also offers detailed descriptions of ongoing shows.
You can also favorite a program or channel by clicking the heart icon beside it.
You can find these channels later (as well as other filters) by scrolling all the way left and selecting the the Favorites section.
If you can’t decide to what to watch, go to the Watch Now page and press the down button on your remote to surf and discover trending content.
You can access DVR recordings along with other bookmarks in the My Library section.
Apart from live TV, DirecTV Stream also offers shows and movies on demand like other over-the-top platforms. These can be found in the On Demand section.
You can search for a particular show or movie by clicking on the search icon.
The app settings can be launched by pressing the settings icon, just beside the search icon.
You can play around with several settings under Preferences to modify the experience as per your liking. For example, you can setup parental control from this menu. Other options like stream quality and caption customization can also be found here.
If you want to sign out of the DirecTV Stream app, click on the Account option under settings, then click Sign Out.
Are DirecTV Stream and DirecTV Satellite the same?
No, these services are different. DirecTV Satellite is the company’s cable connection service that requires special equipment like traditional cable TV. DirecTV Stream runs on an internet connection and can be installed on any supported device. The packages and their pricing are also different for these two services.
What kind of Wi-Fi connection do I need to comfortably use DirecTV Stream?
DirecTV recommends a Wi-Fi plan of at least 8 Mbps to enjoy a smooth experience. According to the company, a stable 24 Mbps connection is optimal for a buffering-free experience. You can check your Wi-Fi connection’s speed by performing a quick speed test using services such as Ookla Speed Test.
This guide showed you how to install and watch DirecTV Stream on FireStick using the official app from the Amazon App Store. DirecTV Stream is a fantastic package for live TV, as it provides access to national as well as local channels. If you have any further questions, please post them in the comment section.
- How to Watch Disney Plus on FireStick
- How to Install Peacock TV on FireStick
- How to Install Vudu on FireStick
- How to Install HBO Max on FireStick
Disclosure - FireStickTricks.com is reader-supported blog. When you buy a product through links on our site, we may earn commission. Learn More