If you’re reading this post, you’ve probably found that your Kodi build is not working as effectively as it used to. It might be crashing regularly or simply running slower. Regardless of the exact symptoms you’re experiencing, the problem may be that you installed too many Kodi builds or add-ons. Your Kodi issues have probably caused you a lot of trouble, so you may be looking for a way to clean things up and start fresh. Don’t worry—in this post, I will guide you as you uninstall your Kodi build on FireStick to improve Kodi performance.
This method works for FireStick, Mac, Windows, Fire TV Cube, and many other devices that are compatible with Kodi. Make sure you meticulously follow this article and do not skip any steps. If you skip steps, you may not be able to uninstall unnecessary Kodi builds on your FireStick to speed up Kodi.
Why would you uninstall Kodi builds?
Kodi is undoubtedly one of the best and most widely used media player applications in the world. It offers boundless entertainment and does so at little to no cost. And because of all the helpful builds available, you can view free TV shows, movies, subtitles, music, and much more.
But an issue with installing all these helpful builds is that they consume a lot of storage. Especially if you are a FireStick user, you will likely struggle with storing these builds on your device, as they occupy tons of space.
This will slow Kodi’s performance, which will provoke streaming and buffering issues. Often, the developers fail to maintain these builds, leaving you with a dead and useless build.
Hence, people get rid of unnecessary builds that slow down Kodi’s performance and increase the buffering time. A bonus piece of advice is also to remove dead add-ons that come with builds. This will clear up some valuable space on Fire TVs and Android TVs.
Attention, Kodi Users!
Kodi Addons and builds offer unlimited streaming content, but could also get you into legal trouble if caught streaming free movies, TV shows, or sports. Currently, your IP is visible to everyone. Kodi users are strongly advised to always connect a VPN while streaming online. A good Kodi VPN hides your identity, bypasses government surveillance, geo-blocked content, and ISP throttling (which also helps in buffer-free streaming).
I personally use ExpressVPN, which is the fastest and most secure VPN. It is very easy to install on any device including Amazon FireStick. You get 3-months free and save 49% on its annual plans. Also, it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee. If you are not satisfied, you can always ask for a refund.
Guide to uninstalling Kodi builds
We are going to use the Fresh Start method to uninstall Kodi builds to improve Kodi performance.
Before you proceed with this method, I recommend you install the Indigo add-on to avoid complications. Without Indigo, Kodi often fails to install zip files for the repository we need to use to install the Fresh Start plugin on Kodi. In addition, make sure to uninstall all add-ons you have on Kodi.
Fresh Start Method
This method is our top recommendation, as it recovers all essential data like caches, icons, files, and thumbnails created by builds or add-ons.
So, let’s get started:
- Turn on your FireStick (or the device you are using) and open Kodi.
- From the top of the left panel of the Home Screen, hit the settings button that looks like a gear.
- From the system options, select the folder icon called File Manager.
- The interface will now present three options. Select the last one, Add source.
- Kodi will open a new box with a text field. Select <None>.
- The text field will now let you type or paste text (the source link). Type the following URL or paste it into the text field: http://dimitrology.com/repo
- Select OK and the interface will now ask you to provide or type the media source name. You can use any name you like, but I suggest calling it Dimitrology like I did. Whatever name you use, don’t forget it—you’ll have to locate the repo by this name in a few steps.
- Press OK once more to confirm and proceed.
- Go back one step if necessary to the Add-ons selection. If you do not see this immediately, return all the way to the home screen and then scroll down to locate Add-ons.
- Once you are in Add-ons, scroll down the list to select Install from zip file.
- If you have not already enabled the installation of add-ons from unknown sources, you will be prompted with a security message.
- Click on Settings and then Unknown Sources and hit OK to accept the risk. You can always revert this change later
- A new box will appear with the list of directories. Locate and select the source name you provided after entering the source URL. If you named the source the same thing I did, you’ll look for Dimitrology.
- Now the interface will show various zip files. You need to locate the file with freshstart in its name. The pattern of the file name is video.freshstart-x.x.zip (x is a number referring to the version or update). Select this file so that Kodi will download the installation files for Fresh Start.
- Within a few seconds, the system will download the installation files.
- Return to the Kodi home screen (press the back button a few times). Select Add-ons and then select the addon Fresh Start
- The system will show a confirmation notification asking if you really want to restore and reconfigure Kodi settings to default. Press YES to proceed.
- Kodi will take some time to reset default settings. Once finished, it will show a notification asking you to restart Kodi or, preferably, reboot the system.
- Close the app, restart your FireStick or other devices, and then launch Kodi. Kodi is reset to its old settings.
Always remember to remove unnecessary add-ons and other data before you uninstall builds from Kodi. This will save a lot of space on your device that you can use for other apps.
The Fresh Start method is also highly beneficial if you are looking to uninstall many add-ons at the same time.Legal Disclaimer - FireStickTricks.com does not verify the legality or security of any add-ons, apps or services mentioned on this site. Also, we do not promote, host or link to copyright-protected streams. We highly discourage piracy and strictly advise our readers to avoid it at all costs. Any mention of free streaming on our site is purely meant for copyright-free content that is available in the Public domain. Read our full disclaimer.
Disclosure - FireStickTricks.com is reader-supported blog. When you buy a product through links on our site, we may earn commission. Learn More