In this article, you will find the steps to install HBO Max on FireStick. These steps will also work on FireStick Lite and all other Fire TV devices including Firestick 4K.
HBO is one of the most popular pay-TV services worldwide. Owned by Warner Media Studios, HBO offers a wide range of quality entertainment in the form of TV shows and TV movies.
You can now stream all the original content from HBO on your FireStick with the HBO Max app. This app is now available for download via the Amazon Appstore.
However, HBO Max is not just about the HBO originals. It also sources licensed content from several third-party media services and distributors. For instance, HBO Max has acquired the rights to stream the very popular sitcoms Friends and The Big Bang Theory.
You will also find top-notch content from the services like DC, TCM, Adult Swim, Studio Ghibli, Cartoon Network, Looney Tunes, Sesame Workshop, and more.
All in all, HBO Max is one of the best Fire TV Stick apps if you are looking for high-quality entertainment.
Sign up for HBO Max
HBO Max is a paid service and you will need to sign up for a subscription. Therefore, I am providing the steps to buy the subscription first before I take you to the installation steps.
Note: If you are already a customer of the HBO cable TV channel, HBO Max is free for you. You do not need to pay the monthly subscription fee separately.
Follow the steps below to sign up for HBO Max:
1. On any browser of your choice, go to https://hbomax.com
2. Click SIGN UP NOW on the web page or the SIGN UP button in the top-right corner
3. Choose one of the available subscription plans. As I write this guide, two plans are available:
- $14.99 per month
- $69.99 for 6 months
Note: The six-monthly plan currently offers a 20% discount. The subscription prices may change later.
On the following page, provide the required information (including your name and email address) and click CREATE ACCOUNT
On the subsequent page, provide your payment and billing information to buy the subscription in order to use HBO Max on FireStick and other devices.
Currently, only credit/debit card payments are supported.
How to install HBO Max on FireStick
Now that you are signed up for the service, you will want to install the HBO Max app on FireStick to start streaming your favorite content.
HBO Max is directly available from the Amazon Store.
Follow the steps below to install the app on your Fire TV device:
1. Click Find followed by Search on the FireStick home-screen
Note: If you are using the old version of Fire TV OS, click the search option in the top-right corner of the screen (the magnifying glass icon)
2. Type in the name of the app (i.e. HBO Max) using the onscreen keyboard (usually, you just need to type in the first few letters)
Click HBO Max when it appears in the search results
3. Now, choose the HBO Max tile in the Apps & Subscriptions section (you may need to scroll down to view this section)
4. Click Get if you are downloading HBO Max on FireStick for the first time. If you have downloaded the app before, you should see the Download option instead
5. Wait while FireStick downloads and installs the app. This may take a minute or two
6. When the app has installed, click Open to launch it
If you want to use the app later, I have provided the steps to access it in the next section
How to use and access HBO Max on FireStick
Now that you have installed HBO Max on your Fire TV device, let’s see how to access and use the app. If you already know how to do it, you may skip this section.
1. On the home screen of your FireStick, click the 3-dot icon in the middle (next to the Settings icon on the right)
Note: If you are still using the older Fire TV OS, hold down the home button on your remote for 5 seconds and click Apps on the popup screen.
2. On the following window, select and then click the HBO Max tile to open the app. If you don’t see the app on this window, click All Your Apps option at the bottom.
3. If you want to move HBO Max onto the home screen of FireStick, press the menu key (3-line button) on the remote. Click Move on the popup menu on the right. Drag and move the app to the top row.
4. Wait while the HBO Max app loads up. It should not take more than a few seconds.
5. When you run the app the first time (and you are not signed in), you will see the following screen.
Click Sign In if you have already subscribed to HBO Max
If you haven’t subscribed, click Subscribe Now or follow the signup steps I have provided in the first section.
If you wish to restore the purchase, click the option Restore Purchase: Amazon Appstore
6. When you click Sign In, you see a window with a code
As it says, go to hbomax.com/tvsignin in any web browser on a computer or a mobile.
Enter the code displayed on your FireStick screen
Note: If you aren’t already, you will need to log in to your HBO Max account in the web browser
7. This is the home screen of HBO Max on FireStick once you are signed in
You may scroll down and explore the wide range of content available through multiple categories
8. When you scroll down, you also see the HBO Max Hubs category. Here, you will find the list of all the channels and sources from where this service gets its content, including HBO, DC, TCM, Cartoon Network, and more.
9. Let’s go back to the top of the home screen of the HBO Max app and click Browser
10. When you do that, you see a popup with the list of various categories
Click any category of your choice to browse the content
Scroll down to view more categories after ‘Comedy’
11. If you have something particular in mind, simply click the Search option on the top of the home screen to look it up
12. Click Settings to personalize your HBO Max experience
13. Within the Settings, you will find the following options:
- Closed Captioning
- Do Not Sell My Personal Information (only for California residents)
- Privacy & Terms
If you wish to stream all your favorite content from HBO and more, get HBO on FireStick now. This app is now available on Amazon Store and you can download it easily following the steps provided in this guide. If you have any questions or feedback, let us know via the comments section below.
- How to Install the best VPN for Firestick
- How to Jailbreak a Firestick
- How to install Sling TV on Firestick
Disclosure - FireStickTricks.com is reader-supported blog. When you buy a product through links on our site, we may earn commission. Learn More