In this guide, I will show you how to install Popcorn Time on FireStick. The instructions in this guide also work on Fire TV Stick 4K, Fire TV & Fire TV Cube.
Important: Popcorn Time is a torrent-based app. It downloads the videos as cache on your device before playing. You must have enough storage available to watch the content. When you exit the app, the downloaded cache is automatically deleted.
Popcorn Time is an entertainment service that lets you watch movies and shows for free. The app packs a solid line-up of content and lets you stream them in up to 1080 Full HD resolution. Even though this app is primarily designed for Android mobiles, it works fine with the living room, TV devices like FireStick and Android TV Boxes.
Since Popcorn Time is not fully compatible with the FireStick remote, I recommend installing Mouse Toggle for easier interaction and navigation.
How to Install Popcorn Time on FireStick
For some reason, FireStick will not let you download the APK files from the browsers. Therefore, you need a supporting app, which facilitates sideloading on your FireStick device.
For the most part, I use the following two apps:
- ES File Explorer
I am going to provide the installation instructions for both in this guide.
Note: You only need to use one of the two apps to install Popcorn Time on FireStick. There is no need to follow instructions for both
What you are going to need first is to install the sideloading app from the Amazon Store. You may install any one of them. Here are the steps:
- Go to the Search option of FireStick (it is in the top-left corner on the home-screen – the lens icon)
- Type the name of the app you intend to download (Downloader or ES File Explorer)
- When the name of the app appears in the search results below, click it
- Now simply follow the onscreen instructions and install the desired app
Enable Apps from Unknown Sources
We will get started with installation instructions shortly. But, before we proceed, we must enable Apps from Unknown Sources in FireStick settings. This will allow us to install third-party apps like Popcorn Time. Here is what you do:
- Go to the FireStick Settings from the home screen (select it in the menu bar on the top)
- Click My Fire TV or Device (depending upon what you see in the options)
- Choose the item Developer Options on the next screen
- Select and click Apps from Unknown Sources (by default it is OFF)
- Click Turn on and confirm your intent. Don’t worry about the warning message as Popcorn Time is a safe app.
Now we can get started with the installation procedure.
Install Popcorn Time APK on FireStick Using Downloader
Downloader is the most convenient app for sideloading APKs on FireStick. Here are the steps to install Popcorn Time using this app:
- Open the Downloader app
- The Home option on the left sidebar must be already selected by default. Navigate to the right side of the window and press the Select/OK button on your remote when the cursor blinks in the URL field
- When the following window with onscreen keyboard pops up, enter the URL: https://www.firesticktricks.com/pct (or simply firesticktricks.com/pct). Make sure the URL is typed in correctly and click GO
- It will take about 2-3 minutes for the Downloader to download the Popcorn Time APK file
- As soon as the file is downloaded, Downloader will run it and start the installation process. Navigate to the bottom right corner of this window where you see the Next option (it will change to Install)
- Click Install
- Let FireStick install the Popcorn Time app. It should not take more than 2 minutes
- App Installed notification will appear confirming that Popcorn Time app has been installed. You may want to click Open to run the app. But, for now, click Done to go back to the Downloader app
- Click Delete (this is to delete the Popcorn Time APK file. This file is of no use as the app has been installed. Clear up the limited FireStick storage whenever you get the opportunity)
- Click Delete again
You have successfully installed Popcorn Time on FireStick using the Downloader app.
Before you start streaming with Popcorn Time, I would like to warn you that everything you stream online is visible to your ISP and Government. This means, streaming copyrighted content (free movies and TV shows) might get you into legal trouble.
Thankfully, you can hide your online streaming/browsing activities with a VPN. A VPN a.k.a Virtual Private Network helps you bypass ISP throttling, Government Surveillance, and content geo-restrictions.
We do not encourage the violation of the copyright laws. But, what if you end up streaming content from an illegitimate source unintentionally? It is not always easy to tell the difference between a legit and illegal source.
Install Popcorn Time on Fire Stick Using ES File Explorer
As I said before, you don’t need to follow this method if you have already installed Popcorn Time through Downloader app. Or, you don’t need to follow the Downloader method if you are using ES File Explorer.
I am assuming you have already installed ES File Explorer from Amazon Store by following the steps I provided earlier. Now, follow these steps to install Popcorn Time on FireStick using ES File Explorer:
- After launching ES File Explorer, go to the right side of the window and click the Downloader icon (as you see in the image below)
- Now navigate to the bottom menu bar and click +New
- You must now see a dialogue box titled Download with two empty text fields. In the space labeled Path, enter the path https://www.firesticktricks.com/pct
In the field marked as Name enter any name you want (it won’t affect the outcome). For instance, I entered PT. Click Download Now
- Let the ES File Explorer connect to the server and download the Popcorn Time APK. It will take a few minutes but not really too long
- When the download is successful, click Open file
- Click Install when the following dialogue box appears
- Navigate to the bottom right of the next screen to where it says Next (which will change to Install)
- Click Install
- Give it a minute or two to install the app
- You will see the notification reading App Installed.
Yes, you have successfully installed the Popcorn Time app using the ES File Explorer app. Go ahead and click Open if you want to run the Popcorn Time app. Click Done if you wish to go back to the ES File Explorer and delete the Popcorn Time APK file.
Files downloaded via ES File Explorer are saved in the Download folder of FireStick. You can access this folder from within ES Explorer app as follows:
- Click Local menu on the left
- There are two Home options under Local. Click the second one
- You will find the Download folder on the right
How to Access and Use the Popcorn Time App on FireStick
You must have noticed that when you install an app, it doesn’t appear on the home-screen of your FireStick. The new apps can be accessed from Your Apps & Channels section. Follow the steps below to access Popcorn Time and to move it to the home-screen:
- Press and hold the Home button on the remote until you see a new, full-screen window popup
- Click Apps to go to Your Apps & Channels
- Scroll down to the bottom and select the Popcorn Time app icon
- You can now run the app from here. If you want to move Popcorn Time to top of the home screen, go to the next step
- Press the menu button on the remote
- Click Move when you see this popup (image below) on the bottom right (or you may click Move to Front to place the app as the first item in the first row ahead of all other apps)
- Now move the Popcorn Time app in one of the top 3 rows for it to show up on the FireStick home-screen
Let’s explore Popcorn Time a bit.
Open Popcorn Time and you may see this prompt appealing to share the app with others. Click Share if want to share it or press the back button on the remote to go the home screen of the app.
This is the home screen of the app. It displays Movies by default. You can change the default in the settings to TV Shows, Anime- Movies, Anime TV Shows.
Popcorn Time is not completely remote-friendly. For a better experience, install Mouse Toggle on FireStick.
To bring up the menu, press the menu button on your remote. Here are the options.
Popcorn Time is a decent app with a solid library of movies, shows, and anime. It is primarily designed for Android mobiles and hence it is not hundred percent remote friendly. With Mouse Toggle you can interact with the app better.
Related:Liked the Guide? Don't Forget to Share with your Family & Friends
Legal Disclaimer - FireStickTricks.com does not verify the legality or security of any add-ons, apps or services mentioned on this site. Also, we do not promote, host or link to copyright-protected streams. We highly discourage piracy and strictly advise our readers to avoid it at all costs. Any mention of free streaming on our site is purely meant for copyright-free content that is available in the Public domain. Read our full disclaimer.