This guide explains how to install ES File Explorer on FireStick. Methods in this article apply to all FireStick devices. That includes Fire TV Cube, FireStick 4K, FireStick Lite, FireStick 4K Max, and other Fire TV devices.
What Is ES File Explorer?
ES File Explorer is a featureful file manager app for Android devices. This multi-utility tool can be used for the following:
- Storage management.
- Sideloading apps (requires premium subscription).
- Connect to cloud drives.
- File transfer.
You can install ES File Explorer via Amazon Store for free. However, to sideload apps, you require a premium subscription that costs $9.99 per month.
Attention, FireStick Users!
Governments and ISPs constantly monitor your online activity, and accessing copyrighted content on your Fire TV Stick could lead to serious trouble. Currently, your IP is visible to everyone. I strongly recommend getting the best FireStick VPN to mask your IP address and securely stream your favorites.
I personally use ExpressVPN, the fastest and most secure VPN available. Not only is it easy to install on any device, it comes with a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee. Plus, if you're not 100% satisfied, you can always get a refund. ExpressVPN is currently also offering a whopping 3 extra months free on their annual plan!
Benefits of ES File Explorer
ES File Explorer offers tons of utilities. However, there are plenty of features most FireStick users will probably never use. Therefore, I prioritize and highlight the benefits you are more likely to use:
- Sideload third-party apps via direct link (premium subscription required) or using a computer.
- Clean up FireStick storage by deleting unnecessary files, such as unused APKs.
- Transfer files between FireStick and the computer.
- Connect to cloud services such as Google Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox, etc. (this function is currently not working).
How to Load ES File Explorer on FireStick
Follow these steps to install ES File Explorer within minutes:
1. Go to FireStick home and select Find.
2. Select the Search tab.
3. Type the name of the app ES File Explorer. When you have typed a few letters, ES File Explorer will appear in the suggestions. Click it!
4. Click the ES File Explorer icon on the next window.
5. Click Get or Download (depending upon what you see).
6. Wait while the app is installed. A notification will appear on success – ES File Explorer File Manager Ready to launch!
How to Sideload Unofficial ES File Explorer on FireStick
Don’t want to spend $9.99 monthly to sideload apps via ES File Explorer? You can sideload the unofficial version. But first, you need to prepare your FireStick.
Prepare FireStick to Sideload Unofficial ES File Explorer
You need to do two things to sideload the unverified version of ES File Explorer: install Downloader and tweak its settings. Refer to the steps below:
1. Click Find on Fire TV Home. Then, open Search and search for Downloader. After that, open the Downloader’s icon and click Get/Download to install it.
2. From FireStick home, click Settings Cog and open My Fire TV. Then, head inside the Developer options and open Install Unknown Apps. Lastly, turn ON Downloader.
Sideload Unofficial ES File Explorer
Follow the steps below to get the unofficial version of ES File Explorer:
1. Launch Downloader from Your Apps & Channels.
2. Open the Empty Input Box on your right.
3. Enter firesticktricks.com/es and click Go.
Note: FireStickTricks.com does now host this URL. It is a redirection that downloads the app from an external location.
4. Wait for the unofficial APK of ES File Explorer to download.
5. Click Install.
6. Let Downloader install ES File Explorer on your FireStick.
7. Click Done to close the ES File Explorer installation screen.
8. The unofficial APK of ES File Explorer doesn’t serve any purpose anymore. So, click Delete to redeem some space on your FireStick.
9. Press Delete again to confirm.
You have successfully installed ES File Explorer on FireStick.
Highly recommended for FireStick👇
How to Stay Anonymous on FireStick
Before you start, I would like to warn you that everything you do online is visible to your ISP and Government. This means playing free games, streaming free movies, TV shows, and Sports might get you into legal trouble.
Thankfully, there is a foolproof way to keep all your activities hidden from your ISP and the Government. All you need is a good VPN for Fire Stick. A VPN will mask your original IP, which is and will help you bypass Online Surveillance, ISP throttling, and content geo-restrictions.
I personally use and recommend ExpressVPN, which is the fastest and most secure VPN. It is compatible with all kinds of apps and is very easy to install on Fire TV / Stick.
We do not encourage the violation of copyright laws. But what if you end up using apps from an illegitimate source unintentionally? It is not always easy to tell the difference between a legit and illegal source.
So, before you start using apps on your Fire Stick / Fire TV, let’s see how to use ExpressVPN to keep your activities hidden from prying eyes.
Step 1: Subscribe to ExpressVPN HERE. It comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee. Meaning, you can use it free for the first 30-days, and if you are not satisfied with the performance (which is highly unlikely), you can ask for a full refund.
Step 2: Power ON your Fire TV Stick and go to Find, followed by the Search option.
Step 3: Now type “Expressvpn” (without quotes) in the search bar and select ExpressVPN when it shows up in the search results.
Step 4: Click Download to install the ExpressVPN app on Fire TV / Stick.
Step 5: Open the app and enter the login credentials that you created while buying the ExpressVPN subscription. Click Sign in.
Step 6: Click the Power icon to connect to a VPN server. That’s all. Your connection is now secure with the fastest and best VPN for FireStick.
You can also read more detailed info on using ExpressVPN with Fire TV / Stick.
How to Enable ES File Explorer for Sideloading APKS
To sideload APKs via ES File Explorer, you must enable it via Install Unknown Apps of FireStick. Here’s how:
1. Go to Fire TV Home and click the Settings Gear icon.
2. Scroll down and select My Fire TV.
3. Select Developer options.
4. Select Install unknown apps.
5. Click on ES File Explorer to turn it on.
How to Install Apps with ES File Explorer Using Direct Links
ES File Explorer is one of the most effective sideloading tools for FireStick. You just need to provide the direct link pointing to the APK you wish to download.
Note: Sideloading is no longer free with ES File Explorer. It is now available only with a monthly premium subscription ($9.99). If you don’t have a premium subscription, use the unofficial version of ES File Explorer.
Important!!! ES File Explorer can ONLY download APKs from the links pointing directly to the APK location on the web. If you have a link to a webpage, you can use the Downloader app to sideload apps.
I am using the Cinema HD app in this demonstration. Here are the steps:
1. Long-press Home on FireStick Home and wait for the menu to appear. Then, click Apps.
2. Launch ES File Explorer.
3. On the first launch, you’ll receive some pop-ups. Select Agree.
4. Click Allow.
5. Select Free Trial.
6. Use the on-screen guide to start your ES File Explorer free trial.
7. On its main window, click Downloader.
8. On the bottom, click the New icon.
9. Click Path.
10. Enter the desired URL in the Path box (I am using https://www.firesticktricks.com/cinema). Then, press Next.
Note: Type the full URL, including https://
11. You may leave the Name field blank or use any name of your choice. Click the button DOWNLOAD NOW.
12. Now, we wait! The APK will download.
13. Once the APK has been downloaded, click the option OPEN FILE.
14. Now click INSTALL.
15. ES File Explorer will stage the app for you. Click INSTALL.
16. Now, wait for the App installed notification. Click DONE to use the app later.
How to Sideload Apps From Your Computer and Transfer Files
As I mentioned, ES File Explorer can be used to sideload APKs stored on your computer. You can transfer other types of files between your FireStick and Computer. Here are the steps:
1. Select the Settings Gear icon on the right side of the FireStick home window.
2. Select My Fire TV.
3. Choose Developer options.
4. Make sure ADB debugging is ON.
Note: Important! ADB debugging must be turned on for ES File Explorer to connect to your computer.
5. Open ES File Explorer.
6. On the ES File Explorer home screen and then move down. Select View on PC.
7. Choose TURN ON.
8. You’ll now see the FTP address. For example, the image below shows ftp://192.168.100.12:3721/
9. On your computer: Open any folder and enter the above FTP link in the address bar.
10. On your computer: You’ll see your Fire TV folders here. You can now transfer any files between FireStick and your computer.
You can also transfer media files such as music, video, and images. However, keep the limited storage capacity of FireStick in mind. Follow the next steps to sideload APKs on FireStick that are stored on your computer.
On your computer: Copy the desired APK file in any FireStick folder (say, the Download folder).
11. Go to ES File Explorer on your Fire TV and click Home on the left menu bar.
12. Open the Download folder or the folder you have used as a path to drop APK from your PC.
13. Here, I see the Cinema HD V2 I transferred from my PC.
Connect to Cloud Drives (Google Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox, Etc.)
The ability to connect with your cloud drives is one of the most exciting ES File Explorer features. Cloud drive connectivity lets you access images, videos, and even the APK files saved in the cloud.
If the cloud drive is synced with your computer, you can copy the APK files to the drive and access it on FireStick via ES File Explorer.
In other words, you can sideload apps on FireStick via your cloud drive.
ES File Explorer supports all the major cloud services, including Google Drive (Gdrive), OneDrive, DropBox, Box, SugarSync, S3, MediaFire, Yandex, and Baidu NetDisk
Note: You CAN sign in to multiple cloud drives. For instance, you can use Gdrive and OneDrive together. You may also sign in with two different accounts for the same drive
Here are steps to connect to your cloud drive:
1. Click Cloud Drive on the right OR click Network > Cloud Drive in the left menu.
2. Click New.
3. Now, pick the My Cloud Drive/OneDrive.
4. Follow the on-screen instructions to sign in.
5. To access your signed-in cloud drives, return to the main window of ES File Explorer and choose Cloud Drive on the right OR click Network > Cloud Drive in the left menu.
Icons for all your signed-in cloud drives will appear. If you want to add another cloud drive, click the plus (+) sign.
Clean Up FireStick Storage Using ES File Explorer
Storage management is another crucial aspect of the ES File Explorer app, especially since FireStick has limited storage.
You can easily delete all the unwanted and unnecessary files. For instance, you may delete the APK files after installing the third-party apps.
Remember that this needs to be done manually. Here are the steps:
1. Run ES File Explorer. Select Internal Storage on the top.
2. Folders will appear on the right. Explore the folder in which unnecessary files are stored. (let’s say the Download folder).
3. Long-press the file you want to remove.
4. From the bottom menu of ES File Explorer and press Delete.
5. Click OK.
Note: You can also uncheck the Move to Recycle bin option to delete the file permanently.
This post demonstrated how to install ES File Explorer on FireStick. If you need help with something specific, please get in touch with us via the comments section below.
- How to Install Aptoide Store on FireStick
- How to Fix Remote Issues on FireStick
- How to Prevent FireStick from Overheating
- How to Install Aurora Store on FireStick
Disclosure - FireStickTricks.com is reader-supported blog. When you buy a product through links on our site, we may earn commission. Learn More