In this post, I will show you how to clear the cache on FireStick. The instructions provided in this guide work on FireStick 4K, FireStick 2nd Gen, Fire TV Cube, FireStick Lite, and other Fire TV devices.
Clearing cache on FireStick is one of the best ways to keep it running trouble-free. If you keep clearing the cache regularly, you will be surprised to see how much better your FireStick performs.
If your device is slow or you are experiencing storage issues, start the troubleshooting process by clearing the cache. It is easy and extremely effective.
What is FireStick Cache?
FireStick lets you download and use a wide range of apps for streaming and other purposes. You can install these apps from Amazon App Store. In addition, you can download and install several third-party streaming apps as well. Furthermore, you can also get utility apps like Downloader, ES File Explorer, browsers, Speed Test apps, etc.
Almost all the FireStick apps create a cache, which is saved on your device storage. The cache file is created when the app is running. It is supposed to be temporary and delete itself when the app is closed. However, this is not always the case. The cache files continue to accumulate and over time occupy sizeable storage space.
Attention, FireStick Users!
Governments and ISPs constantly monitor your online activity, and accessing copyrighted content on your Fire TV Stick could lead to serious trouble. Currently, your IP is visible to everyone. I strongly recommend getting the best FireStick VPN to mask your IP address and securely stream your favorites.
I personally use ExpressVPN, the fastest and most secure VPN available. Not only is it easy to install on any device, it comes with a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee. Plus, if you're not 100% satisfied, you can always get a refund. ExpressVPN is currently also offering a whopping 3 extra months free on their annual plan!
Read: How to Install and Use Best VPN for FireStick
Why should I clear the cache on FireStick?
As I said, the cache files accumulate over time and can take a significant amount of space in the device storage. The FireStick storage is anyway limited.
A large build-up of cache can cause various problems. You may experience slow device performance. Apps may begin crashing. You may run into buffering issues.
If you are experiencing unexpected, unexplained issues with your device, it would be a good idea to clear the FireStick cache.
How to clear FireStick Cache
In this section, I will show you how to check the cache size of your FireStick apps and how to clear it.
Remember that you need to clear the cache for each app individually. There is no app or service that can clear the cache of all the installed apps at once. Amazon App Store does not have any such app and if you run into any third-party app that claims to wipe out all the cache together, stay clear of that app.
Follow the steps below to clear the FireStick cache:
1. Choose Settings on the home screen of your FireStick (menu bar on the top).
2. Open Applications.
3. Scroll down and open Manage Installed Applications.
4. Select the app whose cache you want to clear. When you do that, the cache size appears on the right.
Click the app you chose.
5. On the following window, click Clear cache
Note: Clicking Clear Data will also clear the cache. However, it will also reset the app and remove any data including login data, settings, etc. DO NOT choose this option unless you exactly know what you are doing.
6. You will notice that the cache size has reduced to zero. This means that you have successfully cleared the FireStick cache for the chosen app.
7. Now, press the back button and choose a different app. Click Clear Cache again
Here are some of the important points you would want to keep in mind:
- Cache needs to be cleared for each app individually. There is no way to select multiple apps and clear their cache
- Always check the cache size of all the apps
- Screensaver builds up a large amount of cache. Keep clearing its cache from time to time
- Kodi can also create substantial cache size, especially if you have installed a build
- Look out for Netflix and other streaming apps. They love to deposit cache onto your device
It is important to clear the Fire Stick cache to keep it running smoothly. If you are experiencing issues with the device, clearing the cache is one of the first things you would want to do. This will not only help your FireStick perform optimally, but it will also help you with device storage management.
- How to install & use a VPN on Amazon Fire TV Stick
- How to fix Firestick connected with problems
- Firestick remote troubleshooting guide
- How to reset FireStick to factory settings
Disclosure - FireStickTricks.com is reader-supported blog. When you buy a product through links on our site, we may earn commission. Learn More