This post will cover the 9 possible ways to fix the problem if your Toshiba Fire TV remote is not working. Moreover, it contains three additional solutions if the fixes don’t work.
What’s a Toshiba Fire TV?
The Toshiba Fire TV is a smart TV by Toshiba that runs on the Fire TV operating system. This smart TV integrates Toshiba’s hardware and Amazon’s software.
Toshiba Fire TV lets you access all the services and applications available on Amazon FireStick. Furthermore, these TVs have the same interface as the Amazon FireStick or Fire TV Cube.
The Toshiba Fire TV remote looks almost the same as the FireStick remote. It has the same layout and buttons.
If your Toshiba Fire TV remote stopped working, try one of the fixes in this guide.
Attention, FireStick Users!
Governments and ISPs constantly monitor your online activity, and accessing copyrighted content on your Fire TV Stick could lead to serious trouble. Currently, your IP is visible to everyone. I strongly recommend getting the best FireStick VPN to mask your IP address and securely stream your favorites.
I personally use ExpressVPN, the fastest and most secure VPN available. Not only is it easy to install on any device, it comes with a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee. Plus, if you're not 100% satisfied, you can always get a refund. ExpressVPN is currently also offering a whopping 3 extra months free on their annual plan!
9 Possible Ways to Fix Toshiba Fire TV Remote Not Working
Multiple factors can contribute to the malfunction of a Toshiba Fire TV remote. So, we’ve compiled the top nine possible fixes to solve the Fire TV remote not working concern. Keep reading!
1. Unpair & Re-pair Toshiba Remote
The Toshiba Fire TV remote connects to the television via Bluetooth. Although the connection is usually reliable, it can automatically unpair or disconnect for unknown reasons.
In this case, you may reset and re-pair the remote with the television. Here are the steps:
- First, place your Toshiba remote within a 10-foot radius of the Fire TV.
- Switch off the Fire TV.
- Then, tap on the Left, Menu, and Back buttons simultaneously and hold them for around 10 seconds.
- Now, wait up to 1 minute, and then take out and reinsert the batteries in the Fire TV remote.
- Unplug the Fire TV from the power source, wait a few seconds, and then plug it back in.
- Turn on the television.
- Now, tap and hold the Home button on the Fire TV remote. Release it when the LED light on the remote starts blinking.
- The remote will pair with the Fire TV within 60 seconds. A message on the television screen will confirm the connection.
2. Power Cycle the Remote
Power cycling is turning off the hardware and switching it back on. Here are the steps:
- Take out the batteries from the Fire TV remote. Then, hold the Power button on the remote for almost 60 seconds.
- Next, tap all the buttons on the remote multiple times.
- Put new batteries in the remote and hit the power button again to remove any remaining power.
- Use the Fire TV remote and see if the issue persists.
The Fire TV remote contains capacitors that store energy even if you remove the batteries. Moreover, the remote won’t reset if you don’t completely drain it.
So, to eliminate any residual energy, it’s essential to press the power button to drain the remote fully.
3. Replace Batteries
As easy as it sounds, replacing old and worn-out batteries is the easiest fix to the Toshiba Fire TV remote not working issue. Users often insert batteries in their remotes and forget about them until the remotes malfunction or stop working.
So, if that’s the case, replace the batteries with a new pair and see if the issue persists. If it doesn’t, now you know the batteries weren’t the cause, and you can move on to the other fixes.
4. Remove Obstacles
At times, the obstacles or obstructions between the Toshiba Fire TV remote and the Fire TV lead to the non-functioning issue. Let me make it simple. The Toshiba remote uses infrared beams to communicate with the television.
Similarly, the Fire TV is equipped with an IR sensor. Both devices must transmit and receive the IR beams without hindrances for seamless performance. However, if the beams are obstructed by furniture, walls, Bluetooth devices, electronic signals, speakers, etc., you may experience disrupted signals. When the signals don’t reach the TV, the remote won’t work.
So, if that’s the case, remove any obstacles from the scene or change your location and get closer to the TV. Moreover, you must ensure that the TV’s front panel is open and clean.
Use a dry microfiber cloth to clean the panel and remove any obstructions in front of it. Lastly, point the Fire TV remote directly towards the television and see if it starts working.
5. Ensure the IR Sensor is Working
The Fire TV and the Toshiba remote use IR beams to communicate and transmit signals. So naturally, any issues with the IR beams or the sensor in the remote will cause problems.
If you doubt that the IR sensor in the Toshiba Fire TV remote isn’t working, it’s time to test it out.
Here is how you can check the infrared sensor on the Toshiba remote:
- Take out your smartphone and launch the camera.
- Point the camera toward the Toshiba remote.
- Now, press any button on the remote and see if you detect any red light in the phone’s camera. The red light indicates that the remote is transmitting IR beams.
- If you don’t notice any red light when you press the buttons, the remote is defective, or the batteries are dead.
In case of battery issues, you can insert new ones in the remote. But, if the device is defective or dead, you must replace it.
6. Mash the Buttons
You are probably using the Toshiba Fire TV remote several times a day. Sometimes, the buttons get stuck to the remote if used a lot.
It can cause some buttons to remain in the ‘on’ state. So, mashing the buttons is an excellent way to reposition them on the remote and remove any dirt or hindrance.
Here are the steps:
- Remove the batteries from the Fire TV remote. Then, press the Power button for at least 10 seconds to drain the residual energy in the device.
- Now, start mashing or pressing all the buttons on the remote. Use a bit of force to ensure that every button is moving.
- You can also start by slapping the remote on your palm a few times to release the buttons.
- Repeat the above steps.
Again, it’s common for a remote’s button to get stuck. That said, there is a predefined cap on the number of simultaneous button presses that the Toshiba remote can recognize.
So, if you notice that some buttons are working while others aren’t, that may be the issue. Also, this issue commonly affects the most used buttons, like the volume buttons.
7. Power Cycle Your TV
We talked about power cycling the Fire TV remote. If that hack didn’t work, performing a power cycle on the TV may be the next best choice.
It will reset the device’s main board without affecting personal settings or customizations. Moreover, a power cycle will also fix any system glitches or minor issues.
Please follow these steps:
- Please turn off the Fire TV and remove its plug from the power source.
- Now, press and hold the physical power button on the Fire TV. Release it after almost 20 to 30 seconds.
- Wait 2 to 3 minutes to let the Fire TV dissipate all the stored current.
- Again, plug the socket back into the power source. Then, turn on the Fire TV. If you see a red light, it means the power cycle is successful.
Note: The Fire TV, like the remote, can store energy after you turn it off. Therefore, always wait a few minutes to ensure all the current is drained.
8. Update Your Toshiba Fire TV
If the Toshiba Fire TV remote malfunctions for a while, it can be due to older firmware.
If you are running the Fire TV on an older version, it will affect its performance and may also impact the remote. Therefore, try updating your Toshiba Fire TV and see if the issue is fixed.
Here are the steps:
- Open the Settings menu via Fire TV Home.
- Then, press the My Fire TV tab and navigate to the About section.
- Press the Check for System Update tab and download the available update.
Note: Keeping your Fire TV updated is essential to enjoying peak performance. Fire TV updates are rolled out regularly to fix bugs and other threats. So get them as soon as possible.
9. Factory Reset Your TV
Factory reset is an extreme step and should be kept as the last option.
You can start with a soft reset and see if the remote starts working without opting for factory defaults. The factory reset may be the only option if that doesn’t work.
Please Follow these steps:
- Navigate to the Fire TV Home. Then, open the Settings menu.
- Go to the Device & Software section.
- Lastly, select the Reset to Factory Defaults tab.
- To proceed, you will have to enter your PIN. If you’ve not saved a PIN, then enter 0000 (the default PIN of Toshiba Fire TV).
- Again, select Reset to confirm.
Although a factory reset may fix many Fire TV issues, it will delete your settings, apps, and other customizations. So, only go for it if you’ve exhausted the other methods without success.
Solutions if Toshiba Fire TV is Still Not Working
If the abovementioned fixes aren’t helpful, it suggests a significant problem with the Toshiba Fire TV or the remote. If that’s the case, here are some options to consider.
1. Contact Toshiba Customer Support
Toshiba customer support is adequate and almost always available for assistance. So, it is a wise choice, especially if you still cannot identify the Toshiba Fire TV remote issue. Here are some general steps to contacting the Toshiba team:
- Visit https://toshiba-tv.com/rs-en/support using a web browser. Then, select your device type and follow the steps to register a complaint.
- You can also opt for email or a direct phone call to the Toshiba team.
The support team will appoint a member to review your case. They will also help you identify and solve the issue with your Fire TV. Next, follow the troubleshooting steps, and the issue will be resolved.
2. Use the Toshiba Fire TV App
Like most Smart TVs, Toshiba Fire TV has a dedicated remote control app. The Fire app is fast, dependable, and easy to use. And the best part? It’s readily available on popular App Stores like Google Play and Apple App Store.
The Toshiba Fire app also offers voice-enabled search to help you navigate easily. So, download the application on your smartphone and sync it with the Fire TV to enjoy a virtual remote even if the other one isn’t working. You must connect the same WiFi to your phone and Fire TV to establish a connection.
3. Buy a New Remote
We are finally on the last tip of the day. Are you tired of trying all the possible fixes, yet nothing seems to work? Well, it’s about time you replaced the old, malfunctioning Fire TV remote.
Like any other gadget, a remote is susceptible to wear and tear. So, if you have a faulty remote, none of the fixes will work unless you replace it. Always buy a genuine Fire TV remote from certified and authentic sites to avoid scams and knockoffs.
If your Toshiba Fire TV remote is not working, I hope one of the nine ways provided in the guide worked for you. Moreover, you can also opt for the Fire TV remote app and rid yourself of the constant worries regarding the remote. We are hopeful that you will benefit from the blog.
- How to Pair a FireStick Remote in 1-Minute
- How to Sync FireStick Remote to TV
- How to Connect FireStick to WiFi Without Remote
- How to Set Up Amazon FireStick
Suberboost Your FireStick with My Free Guide
Stay Ahead: Weekly Insights on the Latest in Free Streaming!
No spam, ever. Unsubscribe anytime.
Disclosure - FireStickTricks.com is reader-supported blog. When you buy a product through links on our site, we may earn commission. Learn More