In this tutorial, I will show you how to install Plex on FireStick, New FireStick 4K, New FireStick 4K Max, how to sign up for a Plex account, and how to set up a Plex server on your computer.
Plex is a client-server media tool that lets you access all your centrally stored media through various external devices. Let me make this simpler for you with an example. Plex lets you create a media server on your computer. You can access all the media (such as videos, music, pictures) on your computer’s hard drive using the client apps for external devices like FireStick, Mobiles, Tablets, TV Boxes, and Computers.
Plex has client apps for almost all devices that support media playback. You can download the client app from the official app stores. For instance, for Android, you may download the app from the Google Play Store. For FireStick, it is available on the Amazon Store.
The best thing about Plex is that the server (your computer) and clients (say, FireStick or mobile) do not need to be connected to the same wireless network. You may leave your computer at home and still play the videos stored on the hard drive on your mobile from your friend’s house.
Important!! Your computer must be on and connected to the internet at the time you are attempting to connect to it through the client app remotely
Plex, however, doesn’t necessarily have to play only the media stored on your computer (server). There are various Plex channels (both official and unofficial) that give you access to a variety of online media. These channels are installed on the server and available to all the connected clients.
Furthermore, the Plex client app also features some online content. You can stream this content even if you are not connected to the Plex server. In other words, it is independent of the server.
Attention, FireStick Users!
Governments and ISPs constantly monitor your online activity, and accessing copyrighted content on your Fire TV Stick could lead to serious trouble. Currently, your IP is visible to everyone. I strongly recommend getting the best FireStick VPN to mask your IP address and securely stream your favorites.
I personally use ExpressVPN, the fastest and most secure VPN available. Not only is it easy to install on any device, it comes with a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee. Plus, if you're not 100% satisfied, you can always get a refund. ExpressVPN is currently also offering a whopping 3 extra months free on their annual plan!
How to Install Plex on FireStick
Before you install Plex on FireStick, you will want to sign up for an account if you don’t have one already. So, let us first create a Plex account.
Sign Up for a Plex account
Here are the steps:
1. Go to https://www.plex.tv on your computer or mobile (you may also use a FireStick supported browser such as Silk Browser or Firefox) and click Sign Up
2. You may sign up with your existing Google, Facebook, or Apple credentials or create a new account with an email address
3. Once you are signed in, you could buy one of the Plex Pass plans for added benefits. The plans cost $4.99 monthly, $39.99 yearly and $119.99 for a lifetime. We will talk about the benefits of buying a Plex Pass later in this guide.
Note: You may continue without a Plex Pass and still enjoy plenty of features
That is how you sign up for a Plex account.
Steps to install Plex on FireStick
Now I will take you through the steps to install Plex on FireStick. It is available on the Amazon App Store. Here is what you need to do:
1. You will find the FireStick Search option on the home screen in the middle (after selecting Find)
2. Type in Plex and click it in the search results. You may also hold down the Alexa button on your remote for the voice command
3. When you see the Plex app icon in the Apps & Games section, click it
4. Go ahead and click Get (or if you have downloaded it before, click Download instead)
5. Wait for the Plex app to download and install on FireStick
6. Click Open to run Plex once it is installed
This is how you install Plex on FireStick.
Highly recommended if streaming with free or low-cost services 👇
How to Stream on FireStick Anonymously
As soon as you install the right apps, your FireStick is all ready to stream your favorite content. However, before you start, I would like to warn you that everything you stream online is visible to your ISP and Government. This means, streaming free movies, TV shows, Sports might get you into legal trouble.
Thankfully, there is a foolproof way to keep all your streaming activities hidden from your ISP and the Government. All you need is a good VPN for Fire Stick. A VPN will mask your original IP which is and will help you bypass Online Surveillance, ISP throttling, and content geo-restrictions.
I personally use and recommend ExpressVPN, which is the fastest and most secure VPN. It is compatible with all kinds of streaming apps and is very easy to install on Fire TV / Stick.
We do not encourage the violation of copyright laws. But, what if you end up streaming content from an illegitimate source unintentionally? It is not always easy to tell the difference between a legit and illegal source.
So, before you start streaming on your Fire Stick / Fire TV, let’s see how to use ExpressVPN to keep your streaming activities hidden from prying eyes.
Step 1: Subscribe to ExpressVPN HERE. It comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee. Meaning, you can use it free for the first 30-days and if you are not satisfied with the performance (which is highly unlikely), you can ask for a full refund.
Step 2: Power ON your Fire TV Stick and go to Find followed by Search option.
Step 3: Now type “Expressvpn” (without quotes) in the search bar and select ExpressVPN when it shows up in the search results.
Step 4: Click Download to install the ExpressVPN app on Fire TV / Stick.
Step 5: Open the app and enter the login credentials that you created while buying the ExpressVPN subscription. Click Sign in.
Step 6: Click the Power icon to connect to a VPN server. That’s all. Your connection is now secure with the fastest and best VPN for FireStick.
You can also read more detailed info on using ExpressVPN with Fire TV / Stick.
How to Install Plex on Android TV OS & Android TV Box
There are two types of Android TV boxes out there – one with the stock Android OS and the other with true Android TV OS. They are similar in some ways and different in others.
What’s common between the two is they both support Google Play services. You can install apps directly from the Google Play Store. Plex is available on Google Play Store.
Here are the steps to install Plex on Android TV Box (works more or less the same way on both types of boxes):
1. Open Google Play Store
2. Look up for Plex by either typing in or using voice command (if supported)
3. Click the Plex icon when it appears in the search results
4. Click Install
5. Click Open to run the app
How to set up and use Plex on FireStick and Android TV Box
If you are using a FireStick, you could run the app from the Your Apps & Channels section. Hold down the Home button on your Amazon FireStick remote for a few seconds and click Apps on the popup to access all your installed apps.
If you are using an Android TV Box, visit the ‘Apps’ section to access Plex.
Note: The interface of the Plex app is the same on FireStick and true Android TV OS boxes. It may vary a bit on stock Android TV boxes. However, overall it is much the same.
Now follow these steps:
1. When you run the app for the first time, a window like this appears (the interface may change, but you will always find the Sign Up or Sign In options).
I am assuming you have already signed up. So, click Sign In
Note: While you may click Skip (or Continue as Guest) and continue without signing in, I recommend creating an account and signing in
2. A code appears on your FireStick screen
You may also sign in with your Amazon account (if the option is displayed)
3. Use your computer, mobile or any device other than your FireStick and go to https://plex.tv/link and enter the code
You will need to sign in with your Plex account credentials for the linking to be successful
Click Link after entering the code
4. You should see the Account Linked confirmation on your computer, mobile or any other device on which you entered the code. You can now return to FireStick
5. You are guided to the following screen once the linking is successful. Click Subscribe if you want to buy a Plex Pass. You could use one of the payment modes linked to your Amazon account for the purchase
If you don’t want to buy the pass, click Not Now
6. If you haven’t set up the Plex server yet with your Plex account, you should see the “No Servers Found” message. We will talk about setting up the server later. For now, click Continue
7. This is the home screen of the Plex app on FireStick after the setup. Even though you haven’t synced the app with any server, you can still stream the featured free content. There are Web Shows, News videos, Podcasts and more
That’s pretty much it. This is how you set up Plex and use it on FireStick.
How to Install and Set Up Plex Server
While Plex has plenty of online content, its true potential lies in making your computer a media center by converting it into a Plex server. As I have already said, Plex is a client-server-based service. It has client apps for just about every device platform you could think of, including FireStick, mobiles, computers, etc.
However, you could set up the server only on your computer (Windows, Mac, and Linux) and some other devices (such as NAS) that can be used as a server.
Important!! The computer you are using as the Plex server must remain turned on to allow media access from the client apps installed on devices like FireStick or mobile
Here is how you do it:
1. Go to https://www.plex.tv/media-server-downloads/ on your computer
2. Click the Plex Media Server option and choose your computer operating system
Now click the Download button on the same webpage
3. Go to the folder in which you downloaded the server installation file and run it. Follow the instructions specific to your operating system to install the server. For instance, when I ran the file on my Windows, the following pop-up appeared. Now, I must click Install and follow the onscreen instructions to install the Plex server on my computer
4. When the installation is complete, you should see the following window. Click Launch
The next steps will now be followed in a web browser
5. You will now be redirected to a webpage in your default browser on the computer. You will be required to sign in to your Plex account if you aren’t already.
The next screen will give you a quick overview of how Plex works. Click Got It! button
6. You will now be asked to name the server. Make it something relatable and identifiable. Click Next
Note: If you want to access the media on the server (your computer) from the external clients (such as your FireStick), make sure the option Allow me to access my media outside my home is checked
7. During the setup process you may add the Media Library by clicking Add Library. This lets you add the movies, shows, videos, music, images, etc. to the server and allows you to access them from external devices
Click Next to proceed
8. Click Done to conclude the server setup
Benefits of Buying Plex Premium (Plex Pass)
You could use Plex without buying a Plex Pass if all you want to do is access local media on your computer remotely on your client devices such as FireStick. However, buying a pass gives you certain exclusive benefits. Here is a quick look:
Plex offers the following plans:
– $4.99 Monthly
– $39.99 Yearly
– $119.99 Lifetime
Plex is an incredibly useful media organization tool, which uses client-server architecture to give you access to local and online media. Whether you are home or away, by setting up the server on your computer, you can access the locally stored media from anywhere you want as long as there is an internet connection. You can install Plex channels on your computer you are using as a server to stream online media from all your client apps. FireStick itself has limited storage. With Plex on FireStick, you can access the media on your computer without using the storage space. All in all, it is a great tool to have.
Related:Legal Disclaimer - FireStickTricks.com does not verify the legality or security of any add-ons, apps or services mentioned on this site. Also, we do not promote, host or link to copyright-protected streams. We highly discourage piracy and strictly advise our readers to avoid it at all costs. Any mention of free streaming on our site is purely meant for copyright-free content that is available in the Public domain. Read our full disclaimer.
Disclosure - FireStickTricks.com is reader-supported blog. When you buy a product through links on our site, we may earn commission. Learn More