In this guide, I will show you how to install Stremio on FireStick, Fire TV, Fire Stick 4K, FireStick Lite, and Android TV Boxes.
Stremio is a media streaming service that lets you watch movies, shows, and a variety of other types of online content. This service is supported on a wide range of device platforms including Computers, Mobiles, TV Devices, and more. However, it may not necessarily be available through official channels on certain devices.
For instance, you can get Stremio officially from Google Play Store on Android mobiles and Android TV Boxes running on stock Android OS. On the other hand, it needs to be manually installed (sideloaded) onto FireStick and Android TV Boxes with Android TV OS (such as Mi Box and Nvidia Shield)
I have found Stremio to be a simple app, much easier to use than Kodi. Though, it may not be as versatile. It doesn’t really matter that much because it lets me watch just about everything I like. Furthermore, Stremio add-ons are installed online and not on the local storage. This is good news for low-storage devices like FireStick and most Android TV Boxes. Also, online installation means I just need to install a Stremio addon on one device and it is available across all my devices on which I use this service.
Let us get started with the installation process.
How to Install Stremio on FireStick
Even though Stremio is available on Google Play Store, it is still not included in the Amazon Store. Therefore, this app will need to be sideloaded onto your FireStick and other Fire TV devices including the new FireStick 4K Max. Sideloading is the manual installation of the app. But it will not be difficult, as I will help you with it.
Attention, FireStick Users!
Governments and ISPs constantly monitor your online activity, and accessing copyrighted content on your Fire TV Stick could lead to serious trouble. Currently, your IP is visible to everyone. I strongly recommend getting the best FireStick VPN to mask your IP address and securely stream your favorites.
I personally use ExpressVPN, the fastest and most secure VPN available. Not only is it easy to install on any device, it comes with a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee. Plus, if you're not 100% satisfied, you can always get a refund. ExpressVPN is currently also offering a whopping 3 extra months free on their annual plan!
The first thing you need is to install the Downloader app, which is a sideloading tool for FireStick. You cannot download Stremio APK directly from a web browser.
I provide shortened instructions below, but you can see the full instructions and learn more about the Downloader app by reading our guide on how to use Downloader on FireStick.
1. The Downloader app is available on the Amazon Store. You can look it up using the Find > Search option on the home screen.
2. Search for the Downloader app and install it.
3. Go to the home screen of your FireStick and select the Settings option from the menu.
4. Now click My Fire TV.
5. You should now see the following set of options. Click Developer options.
6. Click Install unknown apps.
Note: If you see Apps from Unknown Sources, turn that setting ON and skip step 7 below.
7. Turn ON the Downloader app.
The above steps have set up your FireStick for Stremio installation. Let’s get started with the installation process.
Stremio on FireStick Installation Steps
Following are the steps to install the Stremio app on FireStick.
1. Open the Downloader app.
2. Click the URL field.
3. Enter the URL https://strem.io and click Go.
4. When the page loads up, click Got it at the bottom.
5. Now, click the hamburger icon.
6. Scroll down and click DOWNLOADS from the dropdown menu.
7. On the next webpage, scroll down to the Android section and click the Stremio ARM APK.
8. Wait for the Stremio APK to download. This usually takes less than a minute but depends on your network speed.
9. The installation window will appear when the APK has downloaded. Click Install.
10. Installation will probably also take a minute or less.
11. When the app is installed, don’t click OPEN yet. Instead, click DONE for now and return to the Downloader app.
12. Go ahead and click Delete. The reason we are deleting the APK file is that it is no longer needed, so deleting it saves space in your limited FireStick storage.
13. Click Delete again.
You have successfully installed Stremio on FireStick. Keep reading to learn how to start using Stremio on your device.
How to Use Stremio on FireStick
Now that you have installed Stremio on your Fire TV Stick, it is time you knew how to make the maximum out of your device.
However, before you start using Stremio, I would like to warn you that everything you stream online is visible to your ISP and government. This means, streaming free movies, TV shows, Sports might get you into legal trouble.
Thankfully, there is a foolproof way to keep all your streaming activities hidden from your ISP and the government. All you need is a good VPN for Fire Stick. A VPN helps you bypass Online Surveillance, ISP throttling, and content geo-restrictions.
I personally use and recommend ExpressVPN, which is the fastest and most secure VPN. It is Stremio friendly and very easy to install on Fire TV / Stick.
We do not encourage the violation of copyright laws. But, what if you end up streaming content from an illegitimate source unintentionally? It is not always easy to tell the difference between a legit and illegal source.
So, before you start using your Stremio on your Fire Stick, let’s see how to use ExpressVPN to keep your streaming activities hidden from prying eyes.
Step 1: Subscribe to ExpressVPN HERE. It comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee. Meaning, you can use it freely for the first 30-days and if you are not satisfied with the performance (which is highly unlikely), you can ask for a full refund.
Step 2: Power ON your Fire TV / Stick and go to the “Search” option on the extreme left. Now type “Expressvpn” (without quotes) in the search bar and select ExpressVPN when it shows up in the search results
Step 3: Click “Download” or “Get” to install the ExpressVPN app for Fire TV / Stick.
Step 4: Open the app and enter your login credentials which you created while buying the ExpressVPN subscription. Click “Sign in”
Step 5: Click the Power icon to connect to a VPN server. That’s all. Your connection is now secure with the fastest and best VPN for FireStick.
You can also read more detailed info on using ExpressVPN with Fire TV / Stick.
Now that you are secured, it is time to start using Stremio on your Fire TV/Stick. The next section of the guide shows how to install Stremio on Android TV Box. But you can directly jump to the section where I have shown how to start using it on your device.
How to Install Stremio on the Android TV Box
If you have an Android Box that runs on the stock Android OS (similar to the one used in Android mobiles), you can install Stremio directly from the Google Play Store.
If you have an Android Box with true TV Android OS (such as Mi Box and Nvidia Shield), you will need to sideload the Stremio app since it is not available on Google Play Store. We will use the Downloader app to install Stremio.
Here are the steps to sideload Stremio on Android TV Box:
1. Open Google Play Store (if it is not on the home screen, run it from the app drawer by clicking the Apps icon on the left)
2. Search Play Store with aftvnews to look up the Downloader app (you may not find it by typing the name of the Downloader app)
3. Click Downloader when you see it in the search results
4. Click Install on the following window
5. Click Open to run Downloader (you may also run it from the app drawer by accessing Apps section)
6. Click Allow when the Downloader app asks for access to file and media access
7. Click OK on this prompt (it appears only the first time you run Downloader).
8. Click Go after typing in the following URL: https://www.firesticktricks.com/st
9. Wait while the Downloader app downloads the Stremio APK file onto your Android Box storage.
10. If you haven’t enabled installation from unknown sources for Downloader, the following prompt will be displayed. Click Settings.
11. Switch on the toggle next to Downloader and press the back button on your remote.
12. Click Install.
13. Click INSTALL again on this window.
14. Once Stremio is installed on your Android Box, let’s delete the Stremio APK file from the storage. Click DONE.
15. Click Delete.
16. Click Delete again.
17. We will now open the Stremio app. The sideloaded apps are not displayed in your app drawer. Therefore, you cannot access Stremio from the Apps section. Instead, click Settings.
18. Click Apps.
19. Scroll down and click the Stremio app.
20. Click Open to run Stremio on Android TV Box.
How to Sign Up for Stremio
The signup process is indeed very easy. You can sign up on a computer, mobile, or even FireStick. This is pretty much how the signup/login screen looks like on all the devices:
There are two ways you can sign up for a Stremio account. The first way is to log in with Facebook and authenticate with your Facebook credentials. This way, you won’t have to go through any registration process.
This is the least anonymous method as your streaming logs will be tied to your Facebook account. If you do not plan to use any third-party Stremio addons, Facebook signup is alright. However, if you intend to use such addons, sign up with email instead.
Email signup will maintain your privacy and anonymity in conjunction with a VPN. Keep the following points in mind:
- Use a new email account for Stremio signup. You don’t want to tie your streaming activities with an email address that can be traced back to you
- While creating the new email address, keep the VPN turned ON
The email registration process is incredibly quick and easy. You just need to type in your email address and choose a password. Yes, that’s it! That’s how you can get started. You don’t even need to verify your email address.
Once you are signed up, log in with your email address and password.
How to Use Stremio on FireStick & Android TV Box
Once you are signed up, log in to Stremio on your device. Here is the login screen
This is the main screen of the Stremio app, which by default opens to the Board section. This is the place where you will find the Recent & Recommended content.
To explore further, click the hamburger menu icon in the top-left corner of the Stremio FireStick interface. Click the Discover category, which further expands to Movies, Series, Channels, and TV Channels subcategories.
When you click a category, it lets you discover the available content. Let’s say you choose Movies, Stremio will take you to the movies page. Here, you can sort and filter the movies by Catalogs or Genres. Here are some of the Catalog categories to sort movies by:
– By Year
– By Rating
In the Genre category, you can filter by common genres like Action, Adventure, Animation, Documentary, Crime, etc.
My Library section of the Stremio FireStick app is where you will find the movies and shows you have marked as favorite. The app also allows Trakt integration. The Trakt synced items will also appear in My Library.
We now come to the most important section of the Stremio app – Add-ons. It is at the bottom of the dropdown menu. It is the Add-ons that let you stream content. You can’t do that without the add-ons.
To understand Stremio Add-ons, I have created a completely different section below.
How to Install Addons on Stremio
Just like Kodi, you need the addons to watch your favorite content. However, unlike Kodi, the Stremio addons are installed online and not on your local storage.
This is a great arrangement for low-storage devices like FireStick and Android TV Boxes. You may install multiple addons without having to worry about the space.
The other advantage of the online installation of Stremio add-ons is that you need to install them only on one device and they are synced across all the devices on which you use Stremio with the same Stremio account. The distinct drawback is that Stremio has access to all your streaming activities. Hence, it becomes crucial to use Stremio with a VPN.
Stremio supports two types of add-ons:
Community addons are the ones that let you stream free movies and shows. These are the third-party addons created by independent developers. We will focus on the Community addons in this guide.
Juan Carlos 2, Popcorn Time, and RARBG are the most popular Community addons for Stremio as I write this guide. Following are the steps to install the desired addons:
1. Click the menu icon in the top-left corner of the Stremio main screen and select Add-ons from the dropdown.
2. You will notice that the addons are filtered by Official by default. Click the category and select Community.
Note: You may also filter the addons by the type of content. Click the first menu where it says All and you can filter by Movies, Series, Channels, or Others
3. When you see the following list of categories, scroll down to the addon you wish to install and click Install.
4. If prompted with this warning, click Install again.
5. Within a few seconds you will see the Add-on Installed notification.
That will be all! You are now ready to start streaming your favorite content with Stremio on FireStick. Go back to the menu where you clicked Community. This time click Installed instead. The screen will display all your installed addons.
How to Start Streaming with Stremio on FireStick & Android TV Box
Once you have installed the add-ons, you are ready to stream. Getting started is incredibly easy. Here is how you do it:
1. Choose the content you wish to watch, say a movie or an episode.
2. Stremio will now start looking up the streaming links. Once the links are found, they are lined up on the right. Click a streaming link and start watching your favorite content. Like I said, incredibly easy!
Stremio is easily one of the best online streaming services available these days. This app offers an uncomplicated way to stream your favorite content including movies, shows, live TV, and just about everything else. It may not be as versatile as Kodi, but I have found it much easier to use. And, even though there are only a handful of good addons, there is still enough for you to watch what you like.
What I like the most about Stremio is that it allows the online installation of addons. This saves space on your low-storage devices. Furthermore, you install the addon on one device and it is available on all your devices. Stremio is also one of the best alternatives to Kodi.
- How to Jailbreak a FireStick
- How to install Kodi on FireStick
- How to Update Kodi on FireStick
- How to Install Cinema APK on FireStick
Disclosure - FireStickTricks.com is reader-supported blog. When you buy a product through links on our site, we may earn commission. Learn More