In this guide, I will show you how to install Stremio on FireStick, Fire TV, Fire Stick 4K, FireStick Lite, and Android TV.
What is Stremio?
Stremio is a media streaming service that lets you watch movies, shows, and other online content. This service is supported on many devices, including Computers, Mobiles, TV Devices, and more.
You can get Stremio officially from Google Play Store on Android mobiles and Android TV Boxes running on stock Android OS. It is also available on the Apple Store. However, it needs to be manually installed (sideloaded) onto FireStick and Android TV Boxes with Android TV OS (such as Mi Box. Google TV, and Nvidia Shield)
I have found Stremio to be a simple app, easier to use than Kodi. Though, it may not be as versatile. It doesn’t matter much because it lets me watch almost everything I like.
Furthermore, Stremio add-ons are installed online and not on the local storage. This is good news for low-storage devices like FireStick and most Android TV Boxes.
Also, online installation means I need to install a Stremio addon on one device, and it will be available across all my devices on which I use this service.
Attention, FireStick Users!
Governments and ISPs constantly monitor your online activity, and accessing copyrighted content on your Fire TV Stick could lead to serious trouble. Currently, your IP is visible to everyone. I strongly recommend getting the best FireStick VPN to mask your IP address and securely stream your favorites.
I personally use ExpressVPN, the fastest and most secure VPN available. Not only is it easy to install on any device, it comes with a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee. Plus, if you're not 100% satisfied, you can always get a refund. ExpressVPN is currently also offering a whopping 3 extra months free on their annual plan!
Read: How to Install and Use Best VPN for FireStick
Is Stremio Safe & Legal?
Stremio is available on Google Play Store and Apple Store. It means the app must be safe. However, it is not listed on the Amazon Store. You sideload this app from the Stremio website. It’s one thing to get the app from an official app store; it’s another when you download it from a website.
So, I decided to scan the APK of Stremio with an online antivirus – Virus Total. The antivirus raised no flags. Here is the image of the scan result:
Since Stremio is on the official app stores, it must be legal. However, don’t forget that Stremio lets you install third-party, community addons. These addons may get video streams from unverified sources. Therefore, FireStickTricks cannot determine whether these addons are one hundred percent legal.
It would be best to watch videos available only in the public domain. If you continue using the community addons, please ensure you safeguard yourself with ExpressVPN. This VPN will hide your streaming data from everyone.
How to Install Stremio on FireStick
Even though Stremio is available on Google Play Store, it is still not included in the Amazon Store. Therefore, this app will need to be sideloaded onto your FireStick and other Fire TV devices, including the new FireStick 4K Max. Sideloading is the manual installation of the app. But it will not be difficult, as I will help you.
The first thing you need is to install the Downloader app, which is a sideloading tool for FireStick. Unfortunately, you cannot download Stremio APK directly from a web browser.
I provide brief instructions below. You can see the detailed instructions and learn more about the Downloader app by reading our guide on how to use Downloader on FireStick.
Legal Disclaimer: This tutorial is purely educational. FireStickTricks.com doesn’t own, host, operate, resell, or distribute any streaming apps, addons, websites, IPTV or services. The page contains some unverified services, and we are not certain whether they hold legal licenses to distribute the content. FireStickTricks.com does not verify the legality of each app/service in all regions. Do your due diligence if you use any of the unverified apps/services, and stream only content that is available in the public domain. The end-user shall be solely responsible for the media accessed.
1. The Downloader app is available on the Amazon Store. You can look it up using the Find > Search option on the home screen.
2. Search for the Downloader app and install it.
3. Go to the home screen of your FireStick and select the Settings option from the menu.
4. Now click My Fire TV.
5. You should now see the following set of options. Click Developer options.
Now, select Fire TV Stick and click it 7 times to enable Developer Options. If you’re still not sure how to do it, here’s a step-by-step guide to enable developer options.
6. Click Install unknown apps.
Note: If you see Apps from Unknown Sources, turn that setting ON and skip step 7 below.
7. Turn ON the Downloader app.
The above steps have set up your FireStick for Stremio installation. So let’s get started with the installation process.
Stremio on FireStick Installation Steps
Following are the steps to install the Stremio app on FireStick.
1. Open the Downloader app (go to Your Apps & Channels to open any app and create a home screen shortcut).
2. Click the URL field.
3. Enter the URL https://strem.io and click Go.
Note: This URL leads to the official website of Stremio. FireStickTricks.com is not associated with this website or the app developers.
4. When the page loads up, click Got it at the bottom.
5. Now, click the hamburger icon.
6. Scroll down and click DOWNLOADS from the dropdown menu.
7. On the following webpage, scroll down to the Android section and click the Stremio ARM APK.
Note: The version may change with new updates.
8. Wait for the Stremio APK to download. This usually takes less than a minute but depends on your network speed.
9. The installation window will appear when the APK has been downloaded. Click Install.
10. Installation will probably also take a minute or less.
11. When the app is installed, don’t click OPEN yet. Instead, click DONE for now and return to the Downloader app.
12. Go ahead and click Delete. We are deleting the APK file because it is no longer needed, so deleting it saves space in your limited FireStick storage.
13. Click Delete again.
You have successfully installed Stremio on FireStick. Keep reading to learn how to start using Stremio on your device.
Your FireStick / Fire TV is now all ready to stream your favorite content. However, before you start, I would like to warn you that everything you stream online is visible to your ISP and Government. This means, streaming free movies, TV shows, Sports might get you into legal trouble.
Thankfully, there is a foolproof way to keep all your streaming activities hidden from your ISP and the Government. All you need is a good VPN for Fire Stick. A VPN will mask your original IP which is and will help you bypass Online Surveillance, ISP throttling, and content geo-restrictions.
I personally use and recommend ExpressVPN, which is the fastest and most secure VPN. It is compatible with all kinds of streaming apps and is very easy to install on Fire TV / Stick.
We do not encourage the violation of copyright laws. But, what if you end up streaming content from an illegitimate source unintentionally? It is not always easy to tell the difference between a legit and illegal source.
So, before you start streaming on your Fire Stick / Fire TV, let’s see how to use ExpressVPN to keep your streaming activities hidden from prying eyes.
Step 1: Subscribe to ExpressVPN HERE. It comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee. Meaning, you can use it free for the first 30-days and if you are not satisfied with the performance (which is highly unlikely), you can ask for a full refund.
Step 2: Power ON your Fire TV Stick and go to Find followed by Search option.
Step 3: Now type “Expressvpn” (without quotes) in the search bar and select ExpressVPN when it shows up in the search results.
Step 4: Click Download to install the ExpressVPN app on Fire TV / Stick.
Step 5: Open the app and enter the login credentials that you created while buying the ExpressVPN subscription. Click Sign in.
Step 6: Click the Power icon to connect to a VPN server. That’s all. Your connection is now secure with the fastest and best VPN for FireStick.
You can also read more detailed info on using ExpressVPN with Fire TV / Stick.
How to Use Stremio on FireStick
Now that you are secured, it is time to start using Stremio on your Fire TV/Stick.
Click the Your Apps & Channels button on the FireStick home screen or your remote (if it has one). It is the button with 3 small squares and one + sign:
Click Stremio on the next window.
I am clicking Not Now on this window (it appears only the first time start the app).
How to Sign Up for Stremio and Log in to the app
It would be best to sign in to the app with your Stremio account. It will allow you to sync your installed addons and watchlist across devices. If you don’t have an account, you can get one quickly.
You can register on a mobile or computer on the official Stremio registration page.
This is the login window of Stremio. Scan the QR code if you are signed in to the mobile app. To authenticate in a browser on a PC or mobile, enter the link on the screen and log in to your Stremio account.
Alternatively, you can log in directly on the FireStick app. Click Manual Log In button at the bottom. On the next screen, sign in with your email address and password.
Note: If you still haven’t created a Stremio account, you can sign up through the FireStick app. Click the Sign Up button at the bottom of the login screen.
You can also sign up and sign in with Facebook on a mobile or computer from the official website.
However, Facebook sign-up is the least anonymous method, as your streaming logs will be tied to your Facebook account. Therefore, if you do not plan to use any third-party Stremio addons, Facebook signup is alright. However, sign up by email instead if you intend to use such addons.
Email signup will maintain your privacy and anonymity in conjunction with a VPN. Keep the following points in mind:
- Use a new email account for the Stremio signup. You don’t want to tie your streaming activities with an email address that can be traced back to you
- While creating the new email address, keep the VPN turned ON
The email registration process is incredibly quick and easy. First, you need to type in your email address and choose a password. Yes, that’s it! That’s how you can get started. You don’t even need to verify your email address. Once you are signed up, log in with your email address and password.
How to Use Stremio on FireStick & Android TV Box
This is the main screen of the Stremio app.
To explore further, click the hamburger menu icon in the top-left corner of the Stremio FireStick interface.
Click the Discover category, which expands to Movies, Series, Channels, and TV Channels subcategories.
When you click a category, it lets you discover the available content. For example, Stremio will take you to the movies page if you choose Movies. Here, you can sort and filter the movies by Catalog or Genre. Click where it says Popular to view the catalog options. Click All Genres to see the list of available genres.
In the Genre category, you can filter by common genres like Action, Adventure, Animation, Documentary, Crime, etc.
The My Library section of the Stremio FireStick app is where you will find the movies and shows you have marked as favorites. The app also allows Trakt integration. Therefore, the Trakt synced items will also appear in My Library.
We now come to the most crucial section of the Stremio app – Add-ons. It is at the bottom of the dropdown menu. It is the Add-ons that let you stream content. You can’t do that without the add-ons. To understand Stremio Add-ons, I have created a completely different section below.
How to Install Addons on Stremio
Just like Kodi, you need the addons to watch your favorite content. However, unlike Kodi, the Stremio addons are installed online and not on your local storage.
This is an excellent arrangement for low-storage devices like FireStick and Android TV Boxes. In addition, you may install multiple addons without having to worry about space.
The other advantage of the online installation of Stremio add-ons is that you need to install them only on one device, and they are synced across all the devices on which you use Stremio with the same Stremio account. However, the distinct drawback is that Stremio can access all your streaming activities. Hence, it becomes crucial to use Stremio with a VPN.
Stremio supports two types of add-ons:
Community addons are the ones that let you stream free movies and shows. These are the third-party addons created by independent developers. We will focus on the Community addons in this guide.
FMovies, Popcorn Time, and Public Domain Foreign Movies are the most popular Community addons for Stremio as I write this guide. Following are the steps to install the desired addons:
1. Click the menu icon in the top-left corner of the Stremio main screen and select Add-ons from the dropdown.
2. You will notice that the Community addons are selected by default.
Note: You may also filter the addons by the type of content. Click the first menu where it says All, and you can filter by Movies, Series, Channels, or Others
3. When you see the following list of categories, scroll down to the addon you wish to install and click Install.
4. If prompted with this warning, click Install again.
5. When the addon is installed, you will see the Uninstall button in place of Install.
That will be all! You are ready to start streaming your favorite content with Stremio on FireStick. Here is how you do it:
1. Choose the content you wish to watch, say a movie or an episode.
2. Stremio will now start looking up the streaming links. Once the links are found, they are lined up on the right. Click a streaming link and start watching your favorite content. Like I said, incredibly easy!
How to Install Stremio on the Android TV Box
If you have an Android Box that runs on the stock Android OS (similar to the one used in Android mobiles), you can install Stremio directly from the Google Play Store.
If you have an Android Box with true TV Android OS (such as Mi Box and Nvidia Shield), you will need to sideload the Stremio app since it is not available on Google Play Store. We will use the Downloader app to install Stremio.
Here are the steps to sideload Stremio on Android TV Box:
Note: The Android TV interface varies across devices. Therefore, the following images may be different from your TV. However, the basic idea is the same – install the Downloader app from Google Play Store and sideload Stremio using Downloader.
1. Open Google Play Store (if it is not on the home screen, run it from the app drawer by clicking the Apps icon on the left)
2. Search Play Store with aftvnews to look up the Downloader app (you may not find it by typing the name of the Downloader app)
3. Click Downloader when you see it in the search results
4. Click Install on the following window
5. Click Open to run Downloader (you may also run it from the app drawer by accessing the Apps section)
6. Click Allow when the Downloader app asks for access to file and media access
7. Click OK on this prompt (it appears only the first time you run Downloader).
8. Click Go after typing in the following URL: https://www.firesticktricks.com/st
9. Wait while the Downloader app downloads the Stremio APK file onto your Android Box storage.
10. If you haven’t enabled installation from unknown sources for Downloader, the following prompt will be displayed. Click Settings.
11. Switch on the toggle next to Downloader and press the back button on your remote.
12. Click Install.
13. Click INSTALL again on this window.
14. Once Stremio is installed on your Android Box, let’s delete the Stremio APK file from the storage. Click DONE.
15. Click Delete.
16. Click Delete again.
17. We will now open the Stremio app. The sideloaded apps are not displayed in your app drawer. Therefore, you cannot access Stremio from the Apps section. Instead, click Settings.
18. Click Apps.
19. Scroll down and click the Stremio app.
20. Click Open to run Stremio on Android TV Box.
Stremio is easily one of the best online streaming services available these days. This app offers an uncomplicated way to stream your favorite content, including movies, shows, live TV, and just about everything else. It may not be as versatile as Kodi, but I have found it much easier to use. And, even though there are only a handful of good addons, there is still enough for you to watch what you like.
What I like the most about Stremio is that it allows the online installation of addons. This saves space on your low-storage devices. Furthermore, you install the addon on one device, and it will be available on all your devices. Stremio is also one of the best alternatives to Kodi.
So, did you install Stremio on FireStick? How do you like the app? Please fill us in through the comments section below.
- How to Jailbreak a FireStick
- How to install Kodi on FireStick
- How to Update Kodi on FireStick
- How to Install Cinema APK on FireStick
Disclosure - FireStickTricks.com is reader-supported blog. When you buy a product through links on our site, we may earn commission. Learn More