Today I will show you how to install the YouTube Kodi addon. Most of the guide is straightforward, but there are some steps that can be tricky if you don’t know what you’re doing. To help you out, I’ve tried to be as detailed as possible. Follow the steps in this guide to enjoy using YouTube on Kodi.
What is YouTube?
YouTube is a platform that hardly warrants an introduction. First launched in 2005, it has become a regular fixture in our lives. From funny videos to critical think pieces, YouTube videos have something for everyone.
While the primary concern for YouTube has always been video streaming, it has expanded exponentially over the past two decades. The website now hosts music, original series, documentaries, news outlets, and much more.
The appeal of YouTube is not just that it has a monthly audience of more than 2 billion, but also that the service is completely free. The low barriers to entry mean that anyone can use it to watch or upload videos.
Now let’s take a look at the steps you need to follow to install YouTube on Kodi.
Attention, Kodi Users!
Kodi Addons and builds offer unlimited streaming content, but could also get you into legal trouble if caught streaming free movies, TV shows, or sports. Currently, your IP is visible to everyone. Kodi users are strongly advised to always connect a VPN while streaming online. A good Kodi VPN hides your identity, bypasses government surveillance, geo-blocked content, and ISP throttling (which also helps in buffer-free streaming).
I personally use ExpressVPN, which is the fastest and most secure VPN. It is very easy to install on any device including Amazon FireStick. You get 3-months free and save 49% on its annual plans. Also, it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee. If you are not satisfied, you can always ask for a refund.
How to Install YouTube on Kodi
To install YouTube on Kodi, follow these steps.
1. Select addons section on Kodi’s homescreen.
2. On the top left of the page, you’ll see three icons. An open box, a turning arrow, and a gear. Click on the open box.
4. Select Install from Repository.
5. This is the official Kodi addon repository. Click on Video Addons.
6. Select YouTube.
7. Click on Install.
8. A message will appear on the screen. It will state “the following additional addons will be installed”. Proceed by pressing OK.
9. Wait until a confirmation message stating “YouTube addon installed” appears on the top right corner of the screen.
10. Go back to the home screen, and choose addons.
11. Select video addons.
12. Choose YouTube.
13. Congratulations! You have successfully installed the YouTube Kodi addon.
Important Note: Due to the way YouTube on Kodi works by default, you use a public API. Now, this shouldn’t be a monumental issue on its own but from time to time you receive an error message.
The message states that the quota limit has been reached. This means that too many people are using the public API right now. You won’t be able to use YouTube in this situation.
Don’t worry, I’ll show you how to set up the API for the YouTube Kodi addon.
How to Setup YouTube Kodi API
Fair warning before we begin. This process is a bit tricky for complete beginners. I’ve tried to keep it as detailed and simple as possible so make sure you pay close attention.
Here are the steps to install the YouTube Kodi API:
1. Visit https://console.cloud.google.com/ and select Create Project. This will be in the upper left-hand corner of the screen, next to the Google logo. (I already have the youtube kodi api).
2. Click on Create New Project.
3. Insert Project Name and press Create. I have named it Kodi YouTube Addon.
4. Visit https://console.cloud.google.com/apis/library YouTube Data API v3.
5. Press Enable
6. Visit https://console.cloud.google.com/apis/credentials and click on Create Credentials.
7. Select API Key.
8. Copy the API Key and store it somewhere for later.
9. Click OAuth Consent which should be visible on the menu bar to your left.
10. Select External and press Create.
11. Choose an appropriate Name for the API, such as YouTube API. Move down and press Save.
12. Select Credentials, the option should be on the left side of the screen. Click on Create Credentials.
13. Press OAuth Client ID
14. Select Other and choose an appropriate name. Once finished, press Create.
15. Copy the Client ID and Client Secret, for later use. You may use Notepad for this.
16. Start up the YouTube addon for Kodi, and go to Settings.
17. Select API. In this section enter your API Key, API ID, and API Secret.
18. Go to the Main Menu, and Sign In.
19. You will be prompted by a message stating “you must enable two application so that YouTube is functioning properly”. Press OK.
20. Note down the Authorization Code that has appeared on the screen.
21. Visit www.google.com/device and enter the Authorization Code you received in the previous step. Then press Next.
22. Click Allow.
23. You will receive another Authorization Code. Note this down somewhere.
24. Go to www.google.com/device again and enter the second Code you just received.
25. You may receive a warning from Google. Click on Advanced Settings and select Go to Kodi Youtube.
26. Select Allow.
27. Congratulations! You are now signed in, and have access to all your subscriptions.
This was my guide to installing the YouTube Kodi addon. By installing this addon to your Kodi, you can enjoy the variety of services that YouTube has to offer such as:
- YouTube Red
- YouTube Music
- YouTube Originals
- Millions of free songs, videos, documentaries, podcasts, and more
- Access to a community of more than 2 billion people
I hope you’ve found this guide to be useful. For more useful guides, tips and tricks keep visiting my site!
- How to Install GAIA Kodi Addon on FireStick
- How to Install Q Sports Kodi Addon on FireStick
- How to Install Rising Tides Kodi Addon on FireStick
- How to Install & Use Skynet Kodi Addon on FireStick
Disclosure - FireStickTricks.com is reader-supported blog. When you buy a product through links on our site, we may earn commission. Learn More