In this article, I will take you through the process of installing the HBO Max addon for Kodi. The process can be tricky due to the number of steps involved, which is why I’ve added detailed screenshots of each step. The HBO Max Kodi addon lets you enjoy on-demand entertainment on all Kodi-supported platforms, including FireStick, Android TV devices, Android and iOS mobile devices, Windows, Mac, Linux, Raspberry Pi, and more. The HBO Max Kodi addon is compatible with Kodi 20 Nexus and Kodi 19 Matrix. Let’s dive into what HBO Max for Kodi is all about.
What Is HBO Max?f
HBO is a household name across the world, having offered classic TV entertainment for about half a century. HBO Max is simply HBO’s response to the growing demand for online video streaming services.
HBO Max offers:
- An extensive library of movies and TV shows
- Exclusive titles under “HBO Originals”
- A week-long free trial period
- The ability to download content for offline viewing
- Up to 5 viewer profiles
You can use the HBO Max Kodi addon to stream movies, TV shows, and other entertainment whenever you feel like it. The addon should be straightforward for those familiar with the HBO Max web version, as it’s organized the same way.
Attention, Kodi Users!
Kodi Addons and builds offer unlimited streaming content, but could also get you into legal trouble if caught streaming free movies, TV shows, or sports. Currently, your IP is visible to everyone. Kodi users are strongly advised to always connect to a VPN while streaming online. A good Kodi VPN hides your identity, bypasses government surveillance, geo-blocked content, and ISP throttling (which also helps in buffer-free streaming).
I personally use ExpressVPN, which is the fastest and most secure VPN. It is very easy to install on any device including Amazon FireStick. You get 3 months free and save 49% on its annual plans. Also, it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee. If you are not satisfied, you can always ask for a refund.
Is HBO Max Addon Safe and Legal?
The question of legality arises because the addon is not available in the official Kodi repository. HBO Max has recently reached an agreement with Amazon, making it available on the Amazon app store. However, it is still not available on Kodi. FireStickTricks.com does not verify the legal status of this addon on Kodi.
We cannot definitively comment on the legality of the HBO Max Kodi addon because of the number of factors that make such a determination. These include the end-user’s location and copyright and licensing variables, among other things.
We maintain a strong anti-piracy position. We recommend that all our users use a VPN for added security and privacy reasons.
How to Subscribe to HBO Max
HBO Max is a subscription-based service, which means you will need a paid account to use it. If you haven’t already subscribed, here’s how you can subscribe to HBO Max.
1. Visit the official website for HBO Max and click on SIGN UP NOW.
2. Select a plan per your preference.
3. You will be redirected to the account creation page. Fill out the form provided, then click on CREATE ACCOUNT.
4. Fill out your billing details on the next page and complete your subscription.
How to Install HBO Max Addon on Kodi
Now that you have a valid HBO Max account, I will show you how to install the HBO Max addon on Kodi. I have divided the guide into three main parts to make it easier for you to follow along.
The first part will show you how to enable unknown sources on Kodi, which is necessary because HBO Max is not available in the official Kodi repository.
In the next part, we will install the unofficial repository from which HBO Max is available. It’s called the SlyGuy repository.
Finally, we will install HBO Max from the SlyGuy repository.
Legal Disclaimer: This tutorial is purely educational. FireStickTricks.com doesn’t own, host, operate, resell, or distribute any streaming apps, addons, IPTV or services. The page contains some unverified services, and we are not certain whether they hold legal licenses to distribute the content. FireStickTricks.com does not verify the legality of each app/service in all regions. Do your due diligence if you use any of the unverified apps/services, and stream only content that is available in the public domain. The end-user shall be solely responsible for the media accessed.
Part 1: Enable Unknown Sources
In this part, you will need to enable unknown sources so you can install HBO Max from an unofficial repository. Kodi does not endorse unofficial repositories, so this setting is turned off by default.
1. Launch Kodi and go to Settings, represented by a gear icon on the top left of your screen.
2. Select System.
3. Go to the Add-ons tab.
4. If Unknown sources is off, select it to turn it on.
5. Click Yes when prompted with a warning.
You’ve successfully enabled unknown sources.
Part 2: Install the SlyGuy Repository
The point of enabling unknown sources was to add HBO Max from the SlyGuy repository. So let’s install that repository now.
1. Press the back button on your device one time to revisit the settings page. This time, select File Manager.
2. Select Add Source.
3. When the Add file source window appears, click the area labeled <None>.
4. A new window will appear, asking you to enter a URL. Type in http://k.slyguy.xyz exactly as it appears here and then press OK.
5. You’ll return to the Add file source window. Scroll down and select the box under Enter a name for this media source. Use the virtual keyboard to type in SlyGuy and press OK.
6. Press OK one more time on the Add file source window.
7. Press the back button on your remote until you arrive at the Kodi home screen.
8. Then go to the Add-ons tab.
9. Select Install from zip file.
10. Click on SlyGuy.
11. Click on the zip file.
12. After a moment, you will see a message stating SlyGuy Repository Add-on installed.
Part 3: Installing the HBO Max Addon From the SlyGuy Repository
With the previous step complete, you are set up to install HBO Max from the SlyGuy Repository. Here are the steps you need to follow to do so:
1. On the same screen, click on Install from repository.
2. You should see the SlyGuy Repository now. Click on it.
3. Select Video add-ons.
4. Scroll down and find HBO Max, then select it.
5. Select the Install button at the bottom-right corner.
6. Acknowledge the installations by pressing OK.
7. After a short while, a message stating HBO Max Add-on installed will confirm the installation. Success! Let’s continue and launch the addon.
8. Press the back button on your device until you’re back at the Kodi home screen. Scroll down to Add-ons (but don’t select it).
9. Scroll to the right portion of the screen and find the category for Video add-ons. Select HBO Max to launch it.
10. Click Login. You’ll be prompted to visit a website and enter a code. Visit the website on a different device, log in to HBO Max, and enter the code to complete login on your FireStick.
11. Once you’re logged in, just select a profile to start watching.
Overview of HBO Max Kodi Addon
Though the hierarchy of organization is the same between the HBO Max website and the sideloaded Kodi addon, the appearance of the interface differs pretty drastically. In this section, I’ll walk you through the basics of the HBO Max Kodi addon.
You’ll see the home screen below after selecting a profile. Let’s start browsing with the Featured folder.
The content here is organized into various categories mainly based on new releases and current trends. Browse anything you’d like. Select the two-period button when you’re ready to back out of the folder and return to the previous page.
Let’s look at the Series folder next.
The top few folders effectively organize the content by current relevance. Afterward, there’s an alphabetical folder and a series of folders for each genre. Like most folder, there’s a Search function at the bottom of this folder if you want to search specifically among available TV shows.
Now let’s click the Movies folder.
The movies in this folder are organized the same way the TV shows are organized.
To browse through the originals from the HBO network and HBO Max, click the Originals folder.
The subfolders are straightforward enough. Check them out if you’re interested.
Most of the remaining folders on the home screen of the HBO Max Kodi addon should be intuitive based on the folders we’ve already seen. But the Search folder is important, so let’s select it and see how it works.
Click New Search to enter a new search term.
Type one or more words from the title of the content you’re looking for, then click OK. This search function will search through all content on HBO Max.
After confirming the search term, scroll to it and select it to see the results.
You’ll land on a page of content matching the word(s) you searched for.
Have you made a list of content to watch on HBO Max? You can access it through the My List folder.
You’ll arrive at your list. If you haven’t added any content to your list, this page will be empty.
Finally, you may want to check out Settings if you like to customize your streaming experience. I don’t recommend changing any settings if you’re not an experienced Kodi user.
The settings screen has three separate tabs for various aspects of the HBO Max addon. The most useful settings are the toggle to skip credits, the toggle to auto-play the next episode, and the default video playback quality.
Through this guide, you have learned how to install HBO Max on Kodi. To reiterate, the HBO Max Kodi addon will let you enjoy thousands of movies and TV shows from the comfort of your home for the flat price of $14.99 per month.
As always, if you’re confused about anything within this article, or if you would just like to share your thoughts, let me know in the comments below. I’d love to assist another streamer in any way possible.
- How to Install TVOne Kodi Addon
- How to Install Kaito Kodi Addon
- How to Install Rising Tides Addon on Kodi
- How to Install FREE Addon on Kodi
Disclosure - FireStickTricks.com is reader-supported blog. When you buy a product through links on our site, we may earn commission. Learn More