If you’re a fan of Google Chrome on your computer or smartphone, you probably want to have it on your FireStick. Google Chrome is an excellent alternative to Amazon Silk and Firefox, which are both popular FireStick browsers.
Luckily, you can install Google Chrome on FireStick in minutes by following these simple instructions.
Attention, FireStick Users!
Governments and ISPs constantly monitor your online activity, and accessing copyrighted content on your Fire TV Stick could lead to serious trouble. Currently, your IP is visible to everyone. I strongly recommend getting the best FireStick VPN to mask your IP address and securely stream your favorites.
I personally use ExpressVPN, the fastest and most secure VPN available. Not only is it easy to install on any device, it comes with a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee. Plus, if you're not 100% satisfied, you can always get a refund. ExpressVPN is currently also offering a whopping 3 extra months free on their annual plan!
Why Install Google Chrome Browser on FireStick?
Google Chrome is compatible with different operating systems, including Linux, macOS, and Windows. It is the most popular web browser in the world, known for its speed and its privacy settings. You can easily delete your browsing history, cookies, and cache to maintain your privacy, especially after incognito sessions.
Features of Google Chrome
- Convenient user interface
- Google account synchronization
- Ability to download community apps (that are not available on the Amazon Appstore)
- Uses Blink web engine for fast browsing
- Can open multiple tabs (this feature is missing with the default Fire TV browser)
Never Forget Privacy and Safety
Make sure that you always use a VPN to avoid bandwidth limitations, regional restrictions, and monitoring from government agencies and ISPs. We highly recommend ExpressVPN, the best option for FireStick users. Its global network of servers lets you bypass censorship, and its end-to-end encryption better protects your personal information and browsing history from watchdogs and hackers.
Steps to Install Google Chrome Browser on FireStick
Technically, Google Chrome is meant for Android devices or PCs. However, it is compatible with a FireStick as long as you can sideload the APK, the Android installation file for the app. Chrome is not available on the Amazon Appstore.
Enable App Downloads from Unknown Sources
Having the option to sideload apps is customary for Android and Fire operating systems.
1. Turn on your FireStick / Fire TV.
2. Select Settings from the home screen menu.
3. Go to My Fire TV (on new Fire OS versions, this option is called Device & Software).
4. Select Developer options.
5. Enable Apps from Unknown Sources.
Now you’ve enabled sideloading on your FireStick / Fire TV.
Install the Downloader App From the Amazon Appstore
Official FireStick browsers don’t support downloading files from the community or third-party sources. However, the Downloader app (available on the Amazon Appstore) can download the Google Chrome APK.
1. Select Search (the magnifying glass) on the FireStick home screen.
2. Type Downloader (or use an audio command).
3. You may see similar apps, so make sure to select Downloader, the orange app in the Apps & Games category.
4. Once located, select and hit Download or Get
5. The app will download and install.
6. Now your FireStick is ready to sideload the Google Chrome APK through the Downloader app. Go ahead and click Open.
Sideload Google Chrome APK on FireStick / Fire TV
1. If you did not already open the Downloader app, locate it among your FireStick apps and select it to open. The application will ask permission for storage access. Select Allow, then OK to lock configurations.
2. On the home page of the Downloader app, type the following in the URL bar: https://bit.ly/2tVph6S
3. Hit Go and the system will navigate to the page where you can download the Google Chrome APK.
4. Scroll down the page to find the versions. I tried installing a recent version as well as one from April 13th, but they did not work. The version I successfully installed was from April 14th and was 99 MB in size.
5. Once downloaded and installed, select Done and the system will take you back to Downloader. Since Google Chrome is installed, you can delete the APK file to free up space if you want.
6. Access Your Apps & Channels on your FireStick / Fire TV and launch Google Chrome. You may have to select See All, as Chrome may not show up among the side-scrolling options.
Using Google Chrome with Mouse Toggle on FireStick / Fire TV
The coding of Google Chrome treats FireStick and Fire TV as touch devices. Therefore, it is impossible to use Chrome with a standard FireStick remote. Fortunately, there is a workaround using Mouse Toggle, which you can install easily following these instructions. Use the Mouse Toggle app to overlay a cursor on your Fire TV that can be controlled with your FireStick remote.
Another option is to use a Bluetooth (wireless) keyboard with a touchpad.
Silk Browser is optimized for FireStick and Fire TV, but it lacks versatility. Google Chrome makes browsing easier, safer, and faster. Chrome is lighter than other browsers and has advanced privacy configurations. Overall, it will enhance your browsing and streaming experience on your FireStick / Fire TV.
- How to Install MX Player on FireStick
- How to Control FireStick with a Phone
- How to Install VLC on FireStick
- How to Stop Buffering on FireStick
Suberboost Your FireStick with My Free Guide
Stay Ahead: Weekly Insights on the Latest in Free Streaming!
No spam, ever. Unsubscribe anytime.
Disclosure - FireStickTricks.com is reader-supported blog. When you buy a product through links on our site, we may earn commission. Learn More