In this guide, you will find detailed instructions to install MX Player on Fire TV. The installation steps here also work on FireStick 4K Max, FireStick 2nd Generation, FireStick Lite, All-New FireStick 4K Max, All-New FireStick 4K, and more.
What is MX Player?
MX Player is a media player for Android devices. It can play video and audio files saved on your device or from the internet. However, unlike other media players like VLC, this app is more commonly used in the background. You can integrate it with third-party streaming apps.
Some third-party streaming apps do not work unless you have MX Player on your device. Since many apps require MX Player, it will be a good idea to follow this guide to install it on your device.
Attention, FireStick Users!
Governments and ISPs constantly monitor your online activity, and accessing copyrighted content on your Fire TV Stick could lead to serious trouble. Currently, your IP is visible to everyone. I strongly recommend getting the best FireStick VPN to mask your IP address and securely stream your favorites.
I personally use ExpressVPN, the fastest and most secure VPN available. Not only is it easy to install on any device, it comes with a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee. Plus, if you're not 100% satisfied, you can always get a refund. ExpressVPN is currently also offering a whopping 3 extra months free on their annual plan!
Is MX Player Safe & Legal?
Yes! Even though MX Player is not available on the Amazon Store, it is a 100% legal application available on all other major app stores. I also checked its APK on VirusTotal to be careful; the proof is loud and clear.
Being an official app, MX Player’s legality status is positive. This app can stream your local media library, online videos, and more.
Features of MX Player
- Supports hardware acceleration for smooth playback.
- Multi-core decoding.
- Features file transfer feature.
- Kids lock.
- Support the majority of video, audio, and subtitle formats.
How to Sideload MX Player on FireStick
MX Player is not a part of the Amazon Store, and it is a third-party app. Therefore, it will be sideloaded onto your FireStick.
We will use Downloader as the primary method to install MX Player, the most straightforward and easy-to-use sideloading tool. Please read our detailed guide on how to sideload apps using Downloader.
I have also shown the alternate installation method using the ES File Explorer app later. Even though ES File Explorer is a more versatile tool, it is not recommended as its sideloading feature costs $9.99 monthly.
Method 1: Install MX Player on Fire TV using Downloader
I am breaking down the steps into smaller parts.
Legal Disclaimer: This tutorial is purely educational. FireStickTricks.com doesn’t own, host, operate, resell, or distribute any streaming apps, addons, websites, IPTV or services. The page contains some unverified services, and we are not certain whether they hold legal licenses to distribute the content. FireStickTricks.com does not verify the legality of each app/service in all regions. Do your due diligence if you use any of the unverified apps/services, and stream only content that is available in the public domain. The end-user shall be solely responsible for the media accessed.
Preparing FireStick to Install MX Player on Fire TV
Installing the Downloader is the first thing we must do (if you don’t already have it). Follow the steps below:
1. Go to Find > Search from the home screen of your FireStick. Search for Downloader. When you see it in the search suggestions, click it and then follow the onscreen instructions to install it.
2. Go to the FireStick home screen and select Settings. Then, select My Fire TV. After that, click Developer Options. Then, select Install unknown apps (or click Apps from Unknown Sources). Lastly, turn ON Downloader.
Installing MX Player on FireStick via Downloader
Please follow these steps:
1. Open the Downloader app. You will find a URL field on the right part of the window. Select it.
2. You’ll now see an onscreen keyboard. Go ahead and enter firesticktricks.com/mx and select Go.
Note: This URL points to an external source. We do not host any APK files.
3. Wait while the Downloader downloads MX Player file on your FireStick device.
4. When the following screen is displayed, click Install in the bottom right.
5. The installation of the MX Player will start. It takes about a minute or a little more.
6. When you see the App installed confirmation, it means MX Player has been installed. Click Done.
7. Now we are back in the Downloader window. It is best to delete the APK file once you have installed the app. The file is no longer required; it will occupy the space unnecessarily on your limited FireStick storage. Select Delete.
8. Choose Delete again to confirm your intent to delete the MX Player APK.
This is how you install MX Player on Firestick.
Your FireStick / Fire TV is now all ready to stream your favorite content. However, before you start, I would like to warn you that everything you stream online is visible to your ISP and Government. This means, streaming free movies, TV shows, Sports might get you into legal trouble.
Thankfully, there is a foolproof way to keep all your streaming activities hidden from your ISP and the Government. All you need is a good VPN for Fire Stick. A VPN will mask your original IP which is and will help you bypass Online Surveillance, ISP throttling, and content geo-restrictions.
I personally use and recommend ExpressVPN, which is the fastest and most secure VPN. It is compatible with all kinds of streaming apps and is very easy to install on Fire TV / Stick.
We do not encourage the violation of copyright laws. But, what if you end up streaming content from an illegitimate source unintentionally? It is not always easy to tell the difference between a legit and illegal source.
So, before you start streaming on your Fire Stick / Fire TV, let’s see how to use ExpressVPN to keep your streaming activities hidden from prying eyes.
Step 1: Subscribe to ExpressVPN HERE. It comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee. Meaning, you can use it free for the first 30-days and if you are not satisfied with the performance (which is highly unlikely), you can ask for a full refund.
Step 2: Power ON your Fire TV Stick and go to Find followed by Search option.
Step 3: Now type “Expressvpn” (without quotes) in the search bar and select ExpressVPN when it shows up in the search results.
Step 4: Click Download to install the ExpressVPN app on Fire TV / Stick.
Step 5: Open the app and enter the login credentials that you created while buying the ExpressVPN subscription. Click Sign in.
Step 6: Click the Power icon to connect to a VPN server. That’s all. Your connection is now secure with the fastest and best VPN for FireStick.
You can also read more detailed info on using ExpressVPN with Fire TV / Stick.
Method 2: Sideload MX Player on Fire TV via ES File Explorer (Alternate Method)
if you have already sideloaded MX Player using Downloader, you are not required to follow this method. These additional instructions are for those who do not have Downloader available in their region. Also, you can use these instructions if you prefer ES File Explorer over Downloader.
Note: ES File Explorer is no longer free. To sideload apps, please buy a monthly premium subscription for $9.99. Alternatively, you can install the unofficial version of the app.
So, here is how you download and install MX Player using ES File Explorer:
1. Open ES File Explorer and navigate to the right part of the window. Now scroll down and click the Downloader icon.
2. On the following screen, click +New.
3. In Path, enter the URL https://www.firesticktricks.com/mx; in the Name field, enter any name you like. I am choosing MX. Hit Download Now.
Note: This URL points to an external source. We do not host any APK files.
4. It will take about a minute or two to download the MX Player APK.
5. Click Open file when the file has been downloaded.
6. Click Install when prompted next.
7. Click the Install tab.
8. Click Done when the App Installed message appears.
This is how you install MX Player APK on FireStick using ES File Explorer. If you noticed, the APK file is deleted in the Downloader method. You may want to do the same here. Follow these quick steps:
1. Click to expand the Local menu on the left side of the ES File Explorer app.
2. Select Download.
3. Select MX Player APK by long-pressing the OK/Select button.
4. Select the Delete/Trash icon on the bottom menu bar to delete the APK file.
5. Click OK to move MX Player APK to Recycle Bin.
How to Use MX Player on FireStick
Launch MX Player from Your Apps & Channels screen.
To let MX Player access your files, click Allow.
Welcome to the MX Player main screen! All your local videos will be available here.
Select the Three-Dots button on the top right side.
Here, you can see multiple options. Go inside Settings.
Here, you can see multiple options like List, Player, Audio, etc.
This guide shows how to install MX Player on FireStick. While you can use MX Player to play local media files, you won’t be very impressed as it offers only a few features. I recommend VLC, which is available on the Amazon Store, to play local media. Therefore, it is best to get MX Player to use some popular streaming apps like Cinema APK, Titanium TV, and more beforehand. This lightweight media player gets installed in minutes.
- How to Install BPlayer on FireStick
- Titan Player on FireStick
- Install YesPlayer on FireStick
- MV Cast Player on FireStick
Suberboost Your FireStick with My Free Guide
Stay Ahead: Weekly Insights on the Latest in Free Streaming!
No spam, ever. Unsubscribe anytime.
Disclosure - FireStickTricks.com is reader-supported blog. When you buy a product through links on our site, we may earn commission. Learn More