In this guide, you will find the detailed instructions to install MX Player on FireStick. The installation procedure provided here also works on Fire TV Stick 4K, FireStick 2nd Generation, Fire TV Cube, FireStick Lite.
MX Player is a media player for Android devices. Just like any other media player, MX Player plays videos and music files. However, unlike VLC, this app is more commonly used in the background as a supporting player for several third-party streaming apps.
Some of these streaming apps do not work unless you have MX Player on your device. The others claim to offer a better streaming experience with it. Since there are plenty of such apps that require MX Player one way or the other, I thought it would be a good idea to compose a dedicated installation guide for it.
Follow this guide to install MX Player on FireStick in minutes.
Attention, FireStick Users!
Governments and ISPs constantly monitor your online activity, and accessing copyrighted content on your Fire TV Stick could lead to serious trouble. Currently, your IP is visible to everyone. I strongly recommend getting the best FireStick VPN to mask your IP address and securely stream your favorites.
I personally use ExpressVPN, the fastest and most secure VPN available. Not only is it easy to install on any device, it comes with a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee. Plus, if you're not 100% satisfied, you can always get a refund. ExpressVPN is currently also offering a whopping 3 extra months free on their annual plan!
How to Install MX Player on FireStick
MX Player is a third-party app and not part of the Amazon Store. Hence, it will be sideloaded onto your FireStick.
We will use the Downloader app as the primary method to install MX Player. Downloader is the most straightforward and easy-to-use sideloading tool I have known.
I will also show you the alternate installation method using the ES File Explorer app. ES Explorer is a more versatile tool, but not recommended as its sideloading feature costs $9.99 per month.
Method 1: Install MX Player on FireStick using Downloader
The first thing we are going to do is install the Downloader app (if you don’t have it already).
Follow the steps below:
1. Go to the Find > Search option from the home screen of your FireStick
2. Search for the Downloader app. When you see it in the search suggestions, click it and then follow the onscreen instructions to install it
For more detailed instructions, read our guide on How to Install & Use Downloader to Sideload Apps.
3. Now, go back to the FireStick home screen and click Settings
4. Click My Fire TV
5. Click Developer Options
6. Now click Install Unknown Apps
7. Select and turn ON the Downloader app
8. Open the Downloader app now. There is a URL field on the right part of the window. Click inside this field.
9. You must now see an on-screen keyboard. Go ahead and enter the following URL: firesticktricks.com/mx
Press the Play/Pause key on your FireStick remote or click Go on the screen.
10. Wait while Downloader downloads the MX Player APK file on your FireStick device.
11. When the following screen is displayed, click Install in the bottom right
12. MX Player will now install. It takes about a minute or a little more.
13. When you see the App installed confirmation, it means MX Player has been installed. There is no need to click the Open button as we will barely use this app directly. MX Player is mostly used as the video player for other apps.
14. Now we are back on the Downloader window. It is best to delete the APK file once you have installed the app. The file is not required anymore and it will occupy the space unnecessarily on your limited FireStick storage. Click Delete
15. Click Delete again to confirm your intent to delete the MX Player APK file
That’s it! You have successfully installed MX Player on FireStick using the Downloader app.
Method 2: Install MX Player on FireStick using ES File Explorer (Alternate Method)
If you have already installed MX Player using the Downloader app, you need not to follow this method. These additional installation instructions are for those who do not have Downloader available in their region. Also, if you prefer ES File Explorer over Downloader, you can use these instructions.
Note: ES File Explorer is no longer free. To sideload apps, buy the premium subscription for $9.99 per month
So, here is how you download and install MX Player using ES File Explorer:
1. Open ES File Explorer and navigate to the right part of the window.
2. Now scroll down and click the Downloader icon.
3. On the following screen, go to the bottom menu bar and click +New.
4. In the Path field enter the URL https://www.firesticktricks.com/mx and in the Name field enter any name you like. I am choosing MX.Note: you need to enter full URL in the Path field). Click Download Now.
5. Give it about a minute or two to download the MX Player APK file.
6. Click Open file when the file has been downloaded.
7. Click Install when prompted next.
8. Click Install
9. Wait while the MX Player app is installed.
10. Click Done when the App Installed message appears.
So, this is how you install MX Player APK on FireStick using ES File Explorer.
If you noticed, we deleted the APK file in the Downloader method. You may want to do the same here. Follow these quick steps:
- Click to expand the Local menu on the left side of ES File Explorer app
- You should now see two Home options, click the second one
- Now go to the right part of the ES Explorer window and click the Download folder
- Select the MX Player APK
- Long press the OK/Select button on your FireStick remote until you see a small checkmark on the APK file
- Click the Delete/Trash icon on the bottom menu bar to delete the APK file
While you can use MX Player to play local media files, you wouldn’t be very impressed as it offers a few features. To play local media, I recommend VLC, which is available on the Amazon Store. However, to use some of the popular streaming apps like Cinema APK, Titanium TV, etc. it is best to get MX Player beforehand. It is a lightweight media player and gets installed in minutes.
Related:Legal Disclaimer - FireStickTricks.com does not verify the legality or security of any add-ons, apps or services mentioned on this site. Also, we do not promote, host or link to copyright-protected streams. We highly discourage piracy and strictly advise our readers to avoid it at all costs. Any mention of free streaming on our site is purely meant for copyright-free content that is available in the Public domain. Read our full disclaimer.
Disclosure - FireStickTricks.com is reader-supported blog. When you buy a product through links on our site, we may earn commission. Learn More