In this article, we will guide you through installing VLC on FireStick. The same method is applicable to all the FireStick products, including Fire TV Stick Lite, FireStick 4K, and even Fire TV Cube. Before getting into the process, let’s see what is VLC Player is all about.
What is VLC for FireStick?
VLC Player hardly needs an introduction. Many users on all platforms (Windows, Linux, macOS, Unix, iOS, Android) consider VLC Player their go-to app for playing any kind of media. The same player is now available on Amazon Fire TV Stick too.
It is free, supports all file formats (MPEG-2, MPEG-4, H.264, MKV, WebM, WMV, MP3), can optimize audio and video playback based on the device, supports integration with streaming services. VLC is intended for everyone, is totally free, has no paid features, no ads, no spying and is developed by passionate volunteers.
It’s not just an app, it’s a digital savior.
VLC for FireStick can be installed easily from the Amazon App Store. If you are a new user, who just bought the FireStick, you can install the VLC player in two ways – directly downloading it from the Amazon app store and sideloading it using the Downloader app.
Attention FireStick Users
Governments and ISPs across the world monitor their users' online activities. If you use third-party streaming apps on your Fire TV Stick, you should always use a good FireStick VPN and hide your identity so that your movie viewing experience doesn’t take a bad turn. Currently, your IP is visible to everyone.
I use ExpressVPN which is the fastest and most secure VPN in the industry. It is very easy to install on any device including Amazon Fire TV Stick. Also, it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee. If you don't like their service, you can always ask for a refund. ExpressVPN also has a special deal where you can get 3 months free and save 49% on annual plan.
In this method, I am going to take you through the step to install VLC Player on Firestick using the Amazon app store.
How to Install VLC on Firestick via Amazon App Store
1. From the home screen go to Find.
2. Click Search.
3. Search VLC Player and select it from the suggestion list.
4. Select VLC for Fire under Apps and Games.
5. Click Download to install VLC on FireStick.
How to Install VLC Player on FireStick via Downloader
This method involves sideloading the app through the Downloader app, which is available for free on the Amazon App Store and does not show annoying advertisements.
For those not yet initiated, the Downloader app allows FireStick users to download files from the internet easily and hassle-free.
Part 1: Preparing FireStick to Install VLC Player
1. From the FireStick home-screen go to Find
2. Click Search.
3. Search for Downloader and select it from the suggestion list.
4. Click Download and install it.
Since this method involves side-loading, you’ll have to make few setting tweaks before proceeding.
5. From the home screen, go to Settings (Wheel icon) present on the far right corner.
6. Select My Fire TV.
7. Now click Developer Options.
8. Select ADB debugging option and turn on the toggle.
9. Now select Install unknown apps
10. Select Downloader and turn it on.
Part 2: Sideloading VLC Player on FireStick
11. Launch the Downloader app and click on the URL box.
12. Enter http://bit.ly/vlc334 and click Go.
13. This will begin the download process and once it’s finished click “Install.“
14. Wait for the installation to complete.
15. Once the installation is complete, click Done.
16. Now click on Delete to remove the VLC Player apk from the local storage.
17. Click Delete again.
Adding VLC to FireStick Home Screen
If you are going to use VLC Player frequently, it’s wise to add it to your home screen, where you can access the app as easily as possible.
1. From the home screen, go to See all on the far right, next to the settings gear.
2. Scroll to VLC Player and press the menu button on your remote.
3. Select Move.
4. Place it in your desired location and press the select button on your remote.
5. Now you can access VLC Player from your FireStick home screen.
VLC Player Overview
Once you open VLC Player for the first time, it will prompt you to allow access to files. Click Allow.
On the home screen, you will be greeted with four options: Video, Audio, Browsing, and Other. If you already have audio or video files, you can access them directly by clicking the corresponding option.
You can check out Browsing if you want to play media from your FireStick’s internal storage or the local network. You can add new servers as well.
If you want to tweak the VLC settings, you can head to Other and then Settings. You will see several options listed, as well as additional menus for Interface, Video, Subtitles, Audio, and Advanced.
How to integrate VLC Player with Strix
VLC Player can be integrated with any streaming service app, just like MX Player. In this article, we will show you how to integrate VLC Player with Strix.
Developed by Inside4ndroid, Strix is an Android app that gives users access to a big catalog of movies, shows, and live channels from around the world, absolutely free. You can watch video content in 360p, 720p, and 1080p.
Note: You can also check out how to install Strix on FireStick.
1. Open Strix.
2. Head to Settings in the top left corner.
3. Click Choose Preferred Player.
4. Select VLC.
5. You will see a message at the bottom saying Player Set To: org.videolan.vlc.
6. VLC Player is now your default video player for Strix.
Overview of VLC Player on Strix
We tried playing a movie on Strix through VLC Player, and it worked well. Once the movie starts playing, you will see VLC’s bar of media functions.
On the bottom left corner is the Subtitle/Audio button.
In the middle is a button for play/pause. In the right corner is a full-screen button and, next to it, a settings button.
Under settings, you get a slew of options to tinker with according to your taste.
VLC Player is one of the best apps to use on FireStick for an enhanced and hassle-free user experience. It can play any video and audio files, as well as network streams, network shares and drives. It is versatile, it doesn’t have any compatibility issues, and most importantly it is easy to install on the FireStick.
- How to Install MX Player on FireStick
- How to Install Real Debrid on FireStick
- How to Jailbreak a FireStick
- How to Install & Use a VPN on FireStick
Disclosure - FireStickTricks.com is reader-supported blog. When you buy a product through links on our site, we may earn commission. Learn More