In this guide, I will show you how to install APKs on FireStick from a PC/Computer. The method works with both Windows and Mac.
You can install third-party apps onto FireStick from an online location using Downloader or other sideloading tools. But, what if you want to install an app from the APK file saved on the hard drive of your computer? Thankfully, there is a way to do that and we are going to discuss it in this guide.
Why do I need to sideload from my PC when I can directly use the download link in sideloading tools like Downloader, you may ask? Honestly, it is more convenient to sideload apps onto FireStick with a link. However, I believe it is good to have alternative options. That’s why I am providing this method to install APKs on your FireStick using a PC or computer.
Sometimes I have some APK files on my computer and I wish I could transfer them to FireStick all at once. If I am using a sideloading app, I will have to get each one of them one by one using separate web links. On the other hand, with the PC to FireStick method, I can copy multiple APKs to FireStick together.
These are my reasons; you may have your own. So, here is our guide on how to install apps on FireStick from a PC. It might come in handy someday.
In order to install apps from a computer, you will still need the Downloader app. Additionally, you will need the ES File Explorer app.
Attention, FireStick Users!
Governments and ISPs constantly monitor your online activity, and accessing copyrighted content on your Fire TV Stick could lead to serious trouble. Currently, your IP is visible to everyone. I strongly recommend getting the best FireStick VPN to mask your IP address and securely stream your favorites.
I personally use ExpressVPN, the fastest and most secure VPN available. Not only is it easy to install on any device, it comes with a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee. Plus, if you're not 100% satisfied, you can always get a refund. ExpressVPN is currently also offering a whopping 3 extra months free on their annual plan!
How to Install APKs on FireStick using PC/Computer
Prerequisite: Get the Downloader app, Enable ADB Debugging, and allow Installation of Unknown Apps
1. Go to Find > Search from the home screen of FireStick
2. Search for the Downloader app and install it on your device (click HERE for the detailed guide on the Downloader app installation)
3. Once the Downloader app has been installed, access Settings from the home screen of FireStick.
4. Navigate to and click My Fire TV (if you are using an old Fire TV device, you might see Device instead)
5. Click Developer Options next.
6. You will now find both ADB Debugging and Install Unknown Apps on the following screen. Turn ADB Debugging ON and then click Install Unknown Apps.
7. On this select, select and click the Downloader app you installed earlier. Turn ON the option for the Downloader app.
Sideload Apps on FireStick Using PC
Note: We are now going to install ES File Explorer from the Amazon Store. The ES File Explorer app will help us transfer the APK file from your computer to FireStick. Click HERE to learn more about ES File Explorer.
Once the APK file has been transferred, we will use the Downloader app to install it on your FireStick.
Please make sure that your FireStick and Computer are connected to the same Wi-Fi network for this method to work
I will divide this process into three parts.
Part 1: (FireStick)
Follow these steps on your FireStick:
1. Go to the FireStick home screen again. Access the Find > Search option again
2. Type in ES File Explorer and click it in the search results.
3. Click the ES File Explorer icon on the next screen.
4. Depending upon what you see, click Download or Get on the window that follows.
5. ES File Explorer will now download and install. Wait
6. Click Open to run the ES File Explorer app.
Note: You may also access the app later from Your Apps & Channels section
7. When you run the ES File Explorer app for the first time after installation, you may see the following window. Click Agree
8. Click Allow next to give the app the permission it requires to access photos and media files on your FireStick.
9. On the main screen of ES File Explorer, you can click View on PC icon on the right. You may also expand the Network menu on the left and click View on PC.
10. You now see this window with the name of the network your device is connected to. The computer from which you are sideloading the APK must also be connected to the same network.
Click TURN ON button
11. The FTP address is now displayed. Note down this address. You will need it in the next part.
Part 2: (On Your PC)
Follow these steps on your computer:
1. Download the APK of the app on your computer you wish to install on your FireStick. You can use any web browser (like Chrome, FireFox, Opera) to download the file
2. Open any folder on your computer and enter the FTP address from the ES File Explorer that you noted in the previous part.
3. You should now see the list of all the FireStick folders on your computer. Choose the Downloader folder in you will save the APK file
Now, go to the location on your computer where you downloaded the APK.
Copy the APK file in the desired FireStick folder
Note: I have downloaded Cinema APK file from https://www.firesticktricks.com/cinema for demonstration purposes
Part 3: (On Your FireStick)
Again, follow these steps on your FireStick:
1. Hold down the Home button on your remote for about 5 seconds. When this popup window is displayed, click Apps and open the Downloader app
2. On the main screen of the Downloader app, click Files in the left menu
3. Now, click the APK file you copied from your computer onto your FireStick
4. Click Install
Now, simply wait for the desired app to install!!
(Alternate Method) Sideload Apps on FireStick from a PC using FileLinked App
Update: FileLinked Does not Work any longer
This is an alternate method. If you have already sideloaded the APK from a computer using the previous ES File Explorer method, you don’t need to follow this method. FileLinked is one of the best FireStick apps to sideload APK files. You can upload files from your computer to your FileLinked account using a browser and download the APK file through the FileLinked app on your FireStick. One of the biggest benefits of using this method is that you DON’T need your FireStick and computer connected to the same Wi-Fi network. In fact, this method works even when your computer and FireStick are at two different locations anywhere in the world. Furthermore, once you have uploaded the APK to the FileLinked account, you will NOT need your computer anymore. You can download the APK on your FireStick as many times as you want from the FileLinked account. We have a detailed guide on how to install FileLinked on FireStick, how to sign up, how to upload files, and how to download the uploaded files on Fire Stick. – Go to the sign-up section of the guide to create a FileLinked account
– Go to the upload section of the guide to upload APK files to your FileLinked account and create a download code
– Go to the installation instructions section to install FileLinked on FireStick
– Go to the download section of the guide to download and install APKs on FireStick using the FileLinked app Also, check out popular Filelinked codes for streaming and utility apps.
So, here are our two methods to install apps onto FireStick using a PC. There are a couple of more methods but they are too complicated. Even I don’t use them ever. The above method using ES File Explorer to transfer the file and the Downloader app to sideload the transferred APK file works smoothly. I have installed third-party apps on my FireStick on countless occasions using this methods If you have any questions or comments, feel free to let us know.
Related:Legal Disclaimer - FireStickTricks.com does not verify the legality or security of any add-ons, apps or services mentioned on this site. Also, we do not promote, host or link to copyright-protected streams. We highly discourage piracy and strictly advise our readers to avoid it at all costs. Any mention of free streaming on our site is purely meant for copyright-free content that is available in the Public domain. Read our full disclaimer.
Disclosure - FireStickTricks.com is reader-supported blog. When you buy a product through links on our site, we may earn commission. Learn More