This article will teach you how to install and set up Trakt on Kodi 19 Matrix and FireStick. Trakt is a third-party service that monitors and syncs what you watch with your Trakt account. The method demonstrated in this guide can be applied to all Kodi-supported devices, including FireStick, Windows PC, Android, and more.
What Is Trakt on Kodi?
Trakt is an online platform that integrates with Kodi and scrobbles the movies and TV shows you watch. ‘Scrobbling’ means keeping track of what you are watching.
This tool records your watching activities and helps you find new content based on your history. However, Trakt is more than just a record keeper. It also lets you connect to people from around the world who share similar interests.
Trakt does not only keep a record of what you have already watched but also helps you create a watchlist of everything you want to watch. Of course, you can add favorites to the addons, but with the Kodi Trakt addon enabled, your single watchlist is automatically available to all the add-ons. In other words, you don’t need to maintain the list individually for each addon.
Another good thing about Trakt is that you don’t need Kodi to create or maintain the watchlist. All you need is a device with an internet connection on which you can go to Trakt.tv website and log in to your account.
And, let’s not forget that Trakt is a multi-platform service and supports several apps. Everything scrobbled from one device is synced with your Trakt account and available across all the devices on which you are using this service. So, you just need to ensure you are signed into Trakt on all the devices with the same account.
Attention, Kodi Users!
Kodi Addons and builds offer unlimited streaming content, but could also get you into legal trouble if caught streaming free movies, TV shows, or sports. Currently, your IP is visible to everyone. Kodi users are strongly advised to always connect a VPN while streaming online. A good Kodi VPN hides your identity, bypasses government surveillance, geo-blocked content, and ISP throttling (which also helps in buffer-free streaming).
I personally use ExpressVPN, which is the fastest and most secure VPN. It is very easy to install on any device including Amazon FireStick. You get 3-months free and save 49% on its annual plans. Also, it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee. If you are not satisfied, you can always ask for a refund.
How to Install Trakt on Kodi
Let us now learn how to sign up for Trakt, install Trakt on Kodi, and set up Trakt on Kodi. Later, you will find the steps to integrate Trakt with supported FireStick apps.
Trakt is a freemium service. The free version of Trakt is ad-supported. You can buy the ad-free VIP premium service for the plans starting at $30 per year.
Sign Up for Trakt.TV Account
You will need to sign up for a Trakt.tv account first. Your account will save all the data you have synced with Kodi and other apps. Here are the steps to register for an account.
1. Access https://www.trakt.tv on any computer or mobile browser. When the landing page loads up, click the Join Trakt for Free link.
2. Enter your email address and choose a username and password.
3. Click the Join Trakt button to continue.
Note: You may also sign up with your social media accounts, including Apple, Facebook, or Google.
4. Enter your personal information on the next page, including the Display Name, Location, Gender, and Date of Birth. Click Next Step.
5. Choose your favorite streaming services. Click Next Step.
6. The next thing you want to do is select your favorite genres from the list. Once you are done, click Next Step.
7. On the next page, you could add the movies and TV shows you have watched (or are currently watching). You may choose not to add anything at all. Click Next Step again.
8. If you want to share your activities on Social Media, click Connect next to the desired platform. If you don’t like to share your activities, do not select any social media platform. Instead, click Next Step one more time.
9. If you want to receive push notifications, select one of the available options. Click Continue to Dashboard to proceed.
You have successfully signed up for Trakt services and created an account. We will now learn how to install Trakt on Kodi.
Steps to Install Trakt on Kodi
Trakt Kodi addon is a part of the official Kodi Add-on Repository. Kodi Add-on repository comes preinstalled with Kodi. Follow the steps below to get Trakt for Kodi:
1. Make sure you are on the home screen of Kodi. Now, click Settings in the top-left corner.
2. Click Add-ons
3. When you see the following options, click Install from repository.
5. Click the Kodi Add-on repository on the next window.
Note: If you haven’t installed any additional third-party repositories, you will not see the Kodi Add-on repository here. Instead, the repository options will open directly (see the image in the next step). If you don’t see this repository, jump to the next step.
As you can see, I have installed other repositories; therefore, I have the Kodi Add-on repository listed here.
6. Click Program add-ons next.
7. Scroll down and click Trakt.
8. Now, click Install on the bottom right.
9. Wait for the Trakt Add-on installed notification. It will appear on the top right.
10. This installs the Kodi Trakt addon successfully. You may see the following popup. To authorize Trakt, go to trakt.tv/activate and enter the code on the popup. If you dismiss this popup without authorizing the account, you can also authorize it later, as I have shown in the next section.
We will now learn how to configure Trakt on Kodi.
Before you start streaming with Kodi Addons or Builds, I would like to warn you that everything you stream on Kodi is visible to your ISP and Government. This means, streaming copyrighted content (free movies, TV shows, live TV, and Sports) might get you into legal trouble.
Thankfully, there is a foolproof way to keep all your streaming activities hidden from your ISP and the Government. All you need is a good VPN for Kodi. A VPN will mask your original IP which is and will help you bypass Online Surveillance, ISP throttling, and content geo-restrictions.
I personally use and recommend ExpressVPN, which is the fastest and most secure VPN. It is compatible with all kinds of streaming apps and devices.
NOTE: We do not encourage the violation of copyright laws. But, what if you end up streaming content from an illegitimate source unintentionally? It is not always easy to tell the difference between a legit and illegal source.
So, before you start streaming on Kodi, here's how to get VPN protection in 3 simple steps.
Step 1: Get the ExpressVPN subscription HERE. It comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee. Meaning, you can use it free for the first 30-days and if you are not satisfied with the performance (which is highly unlikely), you can ask for a full refund.
Step 2: Click HERE to download and install the ExpressVPN app on your streaming device. If you are using a FireStick, I have given the exact steps starting with Step 4 below.
Step 3: Click the Power icon to connect to a VPN server. That's all. Your connection is now secure with the fastest and best VPN for Kodi.
The following are the steps to install Kodi VPN on your Fire TV devices. If you have other streaming devices, follow Step 1-3 above.
Step 4: Subscribe to ExpressVPN HERE (if not subscribed already).
Step 5: Go to Fire TV Stick home screen. Click Find followed by Search option (see image below).
Step 6: Type Expressvpn in the search bar and select when it shows up.
Step 7: Click Download.
Step 8: Open the ExpressVPN app and Sign in using the email ID and password that you created while buying the ExpressVPN subscription.
Step 9: Click the Power icon to connect to a VPN server. That’s all. Your FireStick is now secured with the fastest VPN.
How to Set Up Trakt on Kodi
You will need to authorize Trakt on Kodi on two levels. First, you must configure the Trakt addon on Kodi. Second, you will be required to authorize Trakt individually for each addon.
Let us take a look at both one by one.
Part 1: Authorize Trakt Kodi Addon
1. Now, go back to the Kodi home screen. Click Add-ons on the left.
2. You can access Trakt from the Program add-ons section.
3. Right-click Trakt if you are using Kodi on a computer. On FireStick or other TV devices, long-press the Okay or Select button. Touch and hold on touch devices. Click Settings on the popup menu.
4. A window titled Settings – Trakt will pop up. Select General on the left and click How do I authorize the trakt addon to access my trakt.tv account? on the right.
5. You will see the ‘Trakt Account Authorization’ dialogue box with a QR scan code and an alphanumeric activation code. You can integrate Trakt to Kodi using either.
If you are using Trakt mobile app, scan the code from the app, and the authorization will happen instantly.
6. If you are using the Trakt web service, go to https://www.trakt.tv/activate. Sign in with your Trakt account you created earlier and enter the code displayed on the Kodi window (see the image below). Click Continue.
7. Confirm your intent by clicking the ‘Yes’ button on the next screen.
8. You will see the following notification when you have successfully activated Trakt on Kodi.
9. On the Kodi window, the Account Authorization notification appears in the top-right corner.
10. Open Trakt Settings again. When you have successfully activated Kodi with Trakt account, you will see your Trakt account name on the top.
Part 2: Authorize Trakt on Each Kodi Addon Individually
First, you must ensure you have one of the Trakt-enabled Kodi add-ons (yes! Not all the addons support Trakt). Thankfully, most popular addons, such as Homelander, Shadow, The Magic Dragon, are compatible with Trakt.
You have already authorized your Trakt account within the Trakt addon in the previous section. Most Kodi addons will get approved automatically with it. However, some addons may need to be authorized separately from their settings.
I am choosing the Homelander addon for demonstration purposes.
1. Go to the Kodi home screen and click Add-ons on the left.
2. Select Video add-ons on the right. Click the addon you wish to integrate Trakt with on the right. I am choosing the Homelander addon.
3. Click Tools on the main screen of the Homelander addon.
4. Click Trakt: Authorise
5. Note down the code on this popup. Go to trakt.tv/activate and enter the code.
6. Once the addon is successfully integrated with Trakt, you should see your username within the Trakt settings of the addon. For instance, on the Homelander addon, navigate to Tools > Settings > Trakt to check your username.
How to Set Up Trakt on FireStick
Trakt works with many FireStick Apps. You can track your watch history across multiple devices.
Follow these steps:
1. Run the FireStick app and click the menu button (top-left corner on Cinema APK).
2. Click Settings in the dropdown.
3. Click Account (some apps may not require you to click Account and show the options directly on the Settings window).
4. Scroll down to the Trakt section. Click Login to Trakt TV.
5. A window appears with the authorization code. Note down this code.
6. Go to https://trakt.tv/activate in a web browser on a computer or mobile. You may also use a FireStick Browser. Enter the code you noted.
7. Once your Trakt account is successfully authorized, you will see your account details (username and name) on the app screen.
8. The FireStick app may have additional settings for Trakt. For instance, Cinema APK has the following options:
- Trakt Sync Mode: Lets you choose between merging local and Trakt data and using Trakt data only.
- Automatic sync Trakt at startup: If you want to sync your history every time the app starts. This option is disabled by default.
- Show my Trakt calendar shows only: Displays only the shows added to your Trakt calendar.
How to Buy Ad-Free Premium Trakt Account
If you want an ad-free experience, you can subscribe to one of the VIP plans. Trakt has two VIP plans:
- $30 per year: All VIP Features.
- $60 per year: VIP Features + Exclusive Producer Credit.
Note: Trakt does not offer monthly plans anymore.
To subscribe to the VIP plan, log in to your Trakt account at https://www.trakt.tv and click the VIP link on the top. You can make the payment using PayPal or credit/debit cards.
Here is the list of the VIP features (image below):
This post demonstrated how to install and set up Trakt on Kodi and FireStick. Now that you have the Kodi Trakt addon integrated to your Trakt account, you can start watching your favorite movies and TV shows. Trakt will run in the background and sync your activities quietly. But, you may also change the settings so that you are notified every time there is a Trakt activity on Kodi. Trakt will gradually learn your watching habits and suggest movies and TV shows accordingly. Go to https://www.trakt.tv and review everything Trakt has tracked for you.
- How to Install Kodi on FireStick
- How to Install Real Debrid on Kodi
- How to Install VPN on FireStick
- How to Fix Kodi Buffering Issues
Disclosure - FireStickTricks.com is reader-supported blog. When you buy a product through links on our site, we may earn commission. Learn More